My first quality watch - max 1500$
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My first quality watch - max 1500$

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My first quality watch - max 1500$

Hi,

I'm looking for my first quality watch. One i would keep for many years and be proud of.

There are so many watches and i don't really know the brands and prices. In my title i say max 1500$, but if i find a interesting one around 300$, that's more than fine. If there's one around 1800$, i would also consider it.

I have a few criterias:

casual - would look good with jeans but could also be wear with a suit.
    Metal bracelet (could be alu, titanium, etc...)
    I would prefer a dark dial (black, grey, etc...)
    Between 38-42mm dial

And yes, i would like people to notice it. That it shows it's quality watch.

Here are what i've been looking at so far

Seiko SARB033 - 320$ - Looks good and not too expensive. The problem i have with Seiko, is they also make 20$ watches and most people would think it's a 100$ watch.

Tissot Luxury - 570$

Omega Seamaster aqua terra grey dial - 1800$ - I like the fact that it's an Omega and most people will know it's quality, but it's limit too expensive.

Yes, there's a big diffence between them, but it gives you an idea on how undecided i am. I've been working hard the past year and i feel like i could make myself a nice gift.

Would appreciate some advices and other models.

Thanks

Re: My first quality watch - max 1500$

Seiko SARB033 - Just another Seiko and will not garner any attention from anyone. It's a decent watch, of course, but nothing special.

Tissot Luxury - No. Not a luxury watch by any measure and nothing I would spend my money on.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Grey Dial - This is obviously the quartz version. Not my cup of tea. If I'm going to spend $1,800, I do NOT want anything quartz.

My recommendation is to look at something in the Longines, Hamilton, or Oris lines. You can get a really nice watch from any of these manufacturers (in the price range of $800 - $1200), with an automatic movement, and have something of which to be really proud.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Frederixx and MingWu96 like this.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything but why do you care what other people think of your watch? Do you want them to assume you spent a lot on it or something? If you like the Seiko and it will save you 1200 bucks, or 1500 over the Omega than go for it. I agree that Hamilton might be the way to go. You can spend half of your budget and come away with a very well made and good looking watch.

If you want people to recognize the brand than I guess you'd have to stay away from the lesser known names and micro brands. People usually notice Tag Heuers all the time for some reason so you can look there too.
    Last edited by CuriousBob; July 20th, 2015 at 06:39.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with the Tag Heuer recommendation. Maybe Omega is know more in other places, but until I joined this site I had never heard of it, all I knew was I like Pierce Brosnan's watch in Goldeneye. Had never heard of a Sea or Speed master. However besides Timex and Rolex, I knew Tag Heuer made (relative to me at the time) really fancy expensive watches.

Oris Aquis Date with the blue sunburst dial and black bezel (they have 38 other variations if you prefer something else but...god that one is just gorgeous):

Name:  Oris-Aquis-Date-Gradient-Blue-4.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  146.9 KB

MSRP is $1850 which means you'll be paying right at about $1200-1500 on the street from an AD (grey market, which I wouldn't recommend, you could find one as low as $990). Additionally, Oris is not only quality but extremely so at that price point, meaning that they're very good value for money and you're getting a lot more quality than you normally would for that price. They're very well known for "punching above their weight" so to speak, by that I mean you're getting $3000 worth of watch for $1500 at most.

As far as I'm concerned that's job done, fits your criteria perfectly and boy is it gorgeous.
    Last edited by AndrewFromTexas; July 20th, 2015 at 06:51.
    mikmis, OkeefenokeeJoe and Gazza74 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewFromTexas View Post
    Oris Aquis Date with the blue sunburst dial and black bezel (they have 38 other variations if you prefer something else but...god that one is just gorgeous):

MSRP is $1850 which means you'll be paying right at about $1200-1500 on the street from an AD (grey market, which I wouldn't recommend, you could find one as low as $990). Additionally, Oris is not only quality but extremely so at that price point, meaning that they're very good value for money and you're getting a lot more quality than you normally would for that price. They're very well known for "punching above their weight" so to speak, by that I mean you're getting $3000 worth of watch for $1500 at most.

As far as I'm concerned that's job done, fits your criteria perfectly and boy is it gorgeous.
    Bit too big for me. Would prefer close to 40mm but could go up to 41-42max

most people aren't going to pay attention to your watch. that's just the way it is. get a good watch by all means, but unless it's a rolex, most people aren't going to be able to tell an Audemars Piguet from an Invicta.
    sumanbhadra, slcbbrown and RomeoT like this.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Seiko SARB033 - Just another Seiko and will not garner any attention from anyone. It's a decent watch, of course, but nothing special.

Tissot Luxury - No. Not a luxury watch by any measure and nothing I would spend my money on.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Grey Dial - This is obviously the quartz version. Not my cup of tea. If I'm going to spend $1,800, I do NOT want anything quartz.

My recommendation is to look at something in the Longines, Hamilton, or Oris lines. You can get a really nice watch from any of these manufacturers (in the price range of $800 - $1200), with an automatic movement, and have something of which to be really proud.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Why not anything quartz, what's wrong about it? You mean i should only consider something automatic?

I would suggest look at Longines, Ball, Tag, Hamilton, and the Citizen offerings. Narrow it down to 3 or 4 you really like and the folks on this site could then help you decide.

Nothing wrong with Quartz at this price point. If you live in the USA the above brands are all known, in Europe add Certina and Christopher Ward.

I heard the mm300(sbdx001) go as low as 1,500 when the newer model comes in later at Q4.
    i have many many memory with many watches, but the only one that is worthy is my all time favorite - the Tudor Submariner 79090.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information