My first Seiko (Galante) Strap Update
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: My first Seiko (Galante) Strap Update

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My first Seiko (Galante) Strap Update

I will start by admitting that I have never before owned or paid attention to a Grand Seiko or anything parallel or above it from that manufacturer. I will admit also to being somewhat sceptical of reports about the extreme high quality of the GS product. Today I took delivery of my Seiko Galante GMT . I am almost speechless. The second I laid eyes on it in the Laski Customs office near Bangkok, where I collected it upon its arrival from Tokyo I was barely able to speak. Fortunately (Or otherwise) I have returned to my apartment in Bangkok and paused to examine the watch more closely and take a few photos and have recovered the power of speech. OK to some it is an ugly pig of a watch. Yes I do get that. But the very important thing for me is that my Swiss watches look Swiss, my German watches have a distinct Teutonic aura. Anything designed in Italy must have that Italian, Latin almost feminine flair, as is the crucial difference between a wonderfully made German sports car and the idiosyncratic wonder of the Italian counterpart. This watch is no clone, it is no wannabe Rolex or wannabe anything. It styling puts me in mind of Japanese art, Japanese cartoons. The feel makes me think of Haiku rather than any western literature. IT is above all other things original and very Japanese. Ok some will never live with that and that's fine. Personally I see the beauty in it because of the totality of its Japaneseness, that and something else. Craft. Craft is also very important to me. The watch is crafted magnificently. The detail finish is outstanding the architecture of the structure is logical and has great beauty from any angle. It is possible at all points in the watch to see a relationship between one aspect and another. As for function it tells the time, the GMT function works well , similarly to a Rolex GMT in operation. It is accurate, very accurate. But I don't care any more about all of that than I do about value for money. If a watch is too expensive, then no-one buys it, if people buy it, then it must be cheap enough, otherwise they wouldn't.
    The Galante sits majestically on the wrist . It is big and fat. It is unashamedly Asian, it makes no apology for being so. It makes no stylistic references to anything born outside of its island of creation.
    I love it . It is a keeper. If Seiko make more truly Japanese watches and make them as well as this one, i will be looking to own another.

Last edited by Timnic; January 28th, 2015 at 06:44.

Re: My first Seiko

I've got to say I'm not a big fan of the alternate Roman numerals but everything else is just awesome. It's a hell of a watch.

Enjoy
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Love the hands...why no caseback shot?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry Case back shot;

[

Congratulations on the new watch. I'll be honest and say the styling isn't really to my liking but it does nevertheless look a very handsome, unusual and finely crafted piece. Like you I appreciate how a watch feels as much as how it looks. I've only recently got into mechanical Seikos and although the two I have so far are at the opposite end of the price scale to the Galante they put a big smile on my face whenever I wear them.

Enjoy!

The Galante line isn't my cup of tea, but they are undoubtedly beautiful and well-executed. That one in particular manages to infuse some nice "classical" watch elements into the avant-garde design. Very nice.
    ImitationOfLife likes this.

That is a very interesting Seiko. I was not aware of this line/style.

Seiko certainly gets an A for originality with this one. I have never seen anything quite like it. Not my cup of tea, but very cool regardless.
    "In the Eighties we were so amazingly primitive we still thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea."

Beautiful watch man. Congrats!

I'm not a great fan of the watch but it just shouts "quality". Congrats.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information