My first Swiss Watch; eta 2894 vs v.7750 (Montblanc v. Tag Heuer)

Thread: My first Swiss Watch; eta 2894 vs v.7750 (Montblanc v. Tag Heuer)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first Swiss Watch; eta 2894 vs v.7750 (Montblanc v. Tag Heuer)

Hello

I'm on the search for a my first nice Swiss made watch. And would like to get some watch expert's opninons...
    This will be my first major watch purchase for me, and I've learned many things in the past couple weeks. I'm looking for something in the 3-5k range.

Now I've narrowed it down to 2 watches... The Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Cal. 17 Chrono or the MontBlanc Timewalker Chrono.
    Tag is a reputable watch making company with lots of heritage... Montblanc, well is a historic pen company, but with high standards just started to make watches. I've read lots of good things of Montblanc; purchase of Minerva, part of Richemont grp, and has high standards in their products... But its it a good watch? Where would Montblanc and Tag rate in prestige/quality compared to Omega/Rolex?

Now the main question I'd like to ask you watch aficionados is what do you all think is a better movement? the ETA 2894-2 or the Valjoux 7750? I see the 2894 has more jewels, does that mean its a higher quality/more complicated movement?

The Grand Carrera uses a Calibre 17 which is an ETA 2894-2. (28,800 bph, 37 jewels,)
    The Montblanc uses their 4810/502 Caliber, based upon the ETA-Valjoux 7750 movement. (28,800bph, 27 jewels)
    I've read that the 2894 is more expensive but its not a true chronograph and the 7750 is... does that make a difference?

It's been hard to find info about Montblanc watches in general, if anyone here has one, please post on how you feel about it.
    I really appreciate everyone's help.

oh here are pics of the watches I'm thinking about.. please feel free to comment.

Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Cal 17.

MontBlanc Timewalker Chrono

Thanks and Happy Holidays :)

stuffler,mike

Re: My first Swiss Watch; eta 2894 vs v.7750 (Montblanc v. Tag Heuer)

I'd go for the TAG just because I like the watch more.

The ETA 2894-2 costs about 300 SFR. The ETA 2894-2 isn't a module chrono in a coventional sense/mind becuase the gear train is mounted on the top of the plate.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 10th, 2007 at 12:35.

the tag. It has style.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Tag.
    Current collection: Ball Hydrocarbon Magnate Black/ Ball Hydrocarbon Magnate White/Omega SMPc 300M 2019/Omega SMP Black MIDsize 300M /Omega Speedmaster professional moonwatch/PAM luminor marina 0796 destro/Rolex datejust 1601/Rolex Date 1500 /Rolex 116610LN /Rolex Datejust II 116300 black roman/ Rolex Explorer II polar 216570 /Rolex Explorer 1 214270 /Rolex GMT master 2 BLNR 116710/Tudor black bat steel and gold 79733N/ Tudor Pelagos LHD/Tudor black bay burgundy ETA/ TAG F1 Blue /Bucherer Chrono Blue/ Orient Blue MAKO /Invicta Abyss 2845 /Casio G-Shock G1250BD-1ADR /Casio G-Shock G1200BD-1ADR /Casio G-Shock GA-100 /Casio G-Shock G100bb-1A /Casio G-Shock G100cu-3A /Franchi Menotti square av chrono /Seiko SNZH51 /Seiko SBDC001 /Seiko SBDC005 /Seiko SARBO33 /Seiko SRPB01K1/ Seiko SKX013 /Seiko SRPC91k1 /Seiko SRPC95k1 /Seiko 6309 0740 '84 Incoming:

vandice

Tag is a reputable watch making company with lots of heritage... Montblanc, well is a historic pen company, but with high standards just started to make watches. I've read lots of good things of Montblanc; purchase of Minerva, part of Richemont grp, and has high standards in their products... But its it a good watch? Where would Montblanc and Tag rate in prestige/quality compared to Omega/Rolex?

Minerva used to make great watches at great prices before they were sold by the founding family. The new owners invested in new equipment but that meant it became upscale in pricing. The brand was subsequently acquired by Richemont and I believe they make watches for Montblanc.

With regards to quality, you won't go far wrong with a Minerva product but if you're buying into a brand's history and prestige, Montblanc has some way to go, being a penmaker mostly. Not that ppl won't recognize a Montblanc, but I bet someone will exclaim "They make watches?".

Tag Heuer, otoh, is a watch brand through and through that's known for a sporty/young image. In my part of the world, the ordinary person will rate Rolex first, followed by Omega and Tag (cheapest).

Now the main question I'd like to ask you watch aficionados is what do you all think is a better movement? the ETA 2894-2 or the Valjoux 7750? I see the 2894 has more jewels, does that mean its a higher quality/more complicated movement?

Movement wise, the Valjoux is THE chrono workhorse of the industry and you'll find the 7750 in various grades and guises across the entire price band from 500 to 5000 and above. The Tag though, features a heavily modified version of the Valjoux, which IMHO, makes it dressier than practical. It doesn't have an hour counter, for example.

The 2894 is basically a chrono module slapped on top of a 2892. The 2892 is the base calibre which many houses use to build their own inhouse calibres. These include Omega and IWC. It is a very accurate timekeeper and considered a premier calibre.

The Grand Carrera uses a Calibre 17 which is an ETA 2894-2. (28,800 bph, 37 jewels,)
    The Montblanc uses their 4810/502 Caliber, based upon the ETA-Valjoux 7750 movement. (28,800bph, 27 jewels)
    I've read that the 2894 is more expensive but its not a true chronograph and the 7750 is... does that make a difference?

If by true chrono one means a movement designed from the ground up, then the 2894 doesn't qualify. Function and quality however, are not inferior to a 7750. In fact, the relative rarity of this movement may be a positive factor towards attractiveness. The subdial positions are also reminiscent of El Primero/Daytona, which are considered the premier chronograph movements of today. It may be cheaper to service since the chrono module may be swapped for a new one, vs. the entire movement for a Valjoux.

It's been hard to find info about Montblanc watches in general, if anyone here has one, please post on how you feel about it.
    I really appreciate everyone's help.

I will go for the Montblanc because:

1. It is more legible and cleaner. Nothing mars a chrono more than a busy dial.
    2. Tags are too common. I like exclusivity.
    3. From a distance, the Tag looks like the face of Mickey Mouse. Distinctive, but too loud for me.
    4. There is an air of understated refinement from the Montblanc which is equally at home under a shirt and tie, as well as on the racetrack.
    5. The date wheel is color matched to the dial, which shows attention to detail.
    Last edited by vandice; December 10th, 2007 at 13:18.

I love the new Grand Carrera and have wanted the original Carrera for years, but other watches keep jumping a head in line. The new Carrera for sure if I was buying. I should say that I have looked into Montblanc in general and have fine pieces, but the Grand edges them out for me.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

I have a Montblanc GMT and it is really well put together, combined with a high-end Valjoux 7750 version with the extra 2 jewels, you should be able to achieve stunning accuracy and durability.

Montblanc Company, I believe, started life in the watch Industry before they started making pens, their quality control, design and finishing is particularly good as you would expect from this high end company “Real Quality Stands Out”

John

I spent the other day at some various watch stores. My eye kept going to the Grand Carrera and the size of the Timewalker always caught my eye. I just wish there was a AD that carried both so I could see them side by side.

The Grand Carrera seems to be a hot model, with very limited stores atm that has them in stock (especially the black dial cal.17). A few my friends (and wife) think that spending 5k ($4995cnd retail) on a Tag is a bit much, friends suggest Omega at that price range (the usual answer). I'm assuming the Grand Carrera is in Tag's higher end line? How well do Tag's finish their movements? Think any worries about he rotating min/sec display?

The Timewalker, also hard to find a Montblanc AD that sells/carries this watch, is 4k-ish ($4150 retail). I know Montblanc isn't the watch making giant like Tag is, producing far less pieces a year. How do you think they will hold their value?

What is the average discount I should look for/ask for at an authorized watch dealer? do Tag's usually offer more discount compared to Montblancs? (that seems to be what I experienced).

vandice

If you like the watch, why not? Movement reliability wise, well, they're both mechanical chronographs with sub-second capabilities. The tiny gears will wear and tear. They're expensive to service, but it comes with the territory.

Value. Hmmm, that's a question that's asked often on the forum. For one, you'll probably find it easier to sell the Tag. Most watches (other than Rolex) take a 20% or more hit once it walks out of the AD.

A watch is more like an expensive suit than real estate, so I will suggest buying the watch you like more than one that holds its value.

Discount wise, depends on location. 18-20% for Omega is rather common.

Quote Originally Posted by 3.2vtec View Post
    I spent the other day at some various watch stores. My eye kept going to the Grand Carrera and the size of the Timewalker always caught my eye. I just wish there was a AD that carried both so I could see them side by side.

The Grand Carrera seems to be a hot model, with very limited stores atm that has them in stock (especially the black dial cal.17). A few my friends (and wife) think that spending 5k ($4995cnd retail) on a Tag is a bit much, friends suggest Omega at that price range (the usual answer). I'm assuming the Grand Carrera is in Tag's higher end line? How well do Tag's finish their movements? Think any worries about he rotating min/sec display?

The Timewalker, also hard to find a Montblanc AD that sells/carries this watch, is 4k-ish ($4150 retail). I know Montblanc isn't the watch making giant like Tag is, producing far less pieces a year. How do you think they will hold their value?

What is the average discount I should look for/ask for at an authorized watch dealer? do Tag's usually offer more discount compared to Montblancs? (that seems to be what I experienced).
    Wow, did not realize the price point on the Grand Carrera, in that price range it opens up a lot of other doors. It is tough on the forums because everyone has their favorites, if this is your favorite then go for it. You know you did the right thing if it is on your wrist and you never look back. If you start to look back, return it immediately, IMO.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information