My first watch, going big or going home (rolex or omega uh oh)
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: My first watch, going big or going home (rolex or omega uh oh)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

My first watch, going big or going home (rolex or omega uh oh)

Hi guys I am 20 years old, and I am in the market for a high quality watch which will last me (unless i sell it prior to dying) my whole life.

I do have a budget, it is capped at £5000. Which is unfortunate because I LOVE the patek philipe aquanauts. oh well, later in life maybe.

for now, i have narrowed it to two watches which i like the most.

the rolex milgauss, and the seamaster PO 8500, with orange on the 6/9/12

I know these are two very different watches. I have tried both the PO and a speedmaster moonwatch on in the omega store, and preferred the PO. I haven't actually tried the milgauss on.

I don't intend to dive in the po like a lot of owners don't but it is nice to have nonetheless. I want the watches for every occassion, but mostly casual with the abillity to look good dressed up as well which i think both of these watches do well.

If they were both the same price, i would get the milgauss. I should note that I am looking at the green anniversary one. But yes, alas, the gaussy is about £1500 more.

I am looking on a site called blowers jewellers (I am from the uk) where they do pre owned watches. the links to both of them are below.

I am not going to lie, 40% of the reason i like the rolex, is the brand and its reputation, that being said, i do think it is a very classy watch as well. but is it worth the 5k???

another thing, should i decide to sell either of these watches in the future, will they both hold their value well? which will hold better?

finally, I know the rolex is only 40mm. this is a problem because whilst in the omega store, i also tried on a speedmaster racing, and it was WAY too small. will the milgauss appear bigger than the racing do you think? I had heard it wears small before trying it on.

I have a week to return either of these watches if i wish to the store.
    thanks

PO - £3500 (unused) Steel Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 232.30.42.21.01.003

Milgauss - £4850 (used) Steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual Milgauss Anniversary Edition 116400GV
    Last edited by j4mi3; October 5th, 2013 at 15:54.

Re: My first watch, going big or going home (rolex or omega uh oh)

milgauss

I'd take that Planet Ocean anytime over anything else. Plus it's brand new!
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Between the PO and Milgauss - get the Rolex.

But since you said you wanted a watch that would last - get the Speedy. If you were leaning towards Omega - get the Speedy. That is THE watch to get....the PO with orange accents seems a bit flash and that never lasts.

The Milgauss is a great Rolex, but it's not very versatile as it is very "bling", the lack of date also make it less useful in daily usage for most people. Dont get me wrong, the milgauss is a great second rolex. Milgauss wears a tad bigger because it's "all dial", it's quite heavy for a 40mm watch thanks to the faraday cage, which also increased its thickness as well.

Thanks for being honest, but there's a lot of collector tense to dislike rolex because of the snobby image, perhaps you should look more into IWC, JLC, AP as well. There's no right or wrong, as long as you are happy.

in your case I would go with the PO if you are looking for a jack of all trade everyday watch, the 8500 movement is tough and super accurate.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Milgauss GV 116400
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich 3572.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic 300M
    Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 372P
    Officine Panerai Luminor Base 000M
    Officine Panerai Radiomir Blackseal 380P
    IWC Pilot's MK XVIII "Le Petit Prince" IW327004
    Seagull x WUS Moonphase #7
    Casio G-Shock "Mudman" G-9000
    Swatch Sistem51 "Hodinkee" Vintage 84

Quote Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
    Between the PO and Milgauss - get the Rolex.

But since you said you wanted a watch that would last - get the Speedy. If you were leaning towards Omega - get the Speedy. That is THE watch to get....the PO with orange accents seems a bit flash and that never lasts.
    Why do you say the rolex?

And I'm just not a fan of the speedy. it's a tad too subtle for me. I wouldn't call myself flash, but I do think the orange accents just fit me better. I am quite an active, outgoing person. I think the PO is 'in your face' without being obtrusive

The Rolex...All around World Champion.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Just a thought, but why not buy the watch you like the most, irrespective of brand?

Oh, and if you thought the Speedmaster small then the Milgauss will be too small if you're comparing it to a PO XL.

Quote Originally Posted by peakay View Post
    Just a thought, but why not buy the watch you like the most, irrespective of brand?

Oh, and if you thought the Speedmaster small then the Milgauss will be too small if you're comparing it to a PO XL.
    Because i think to a degree, everyone is influenced by what other people think. you can't escape it. but that being said, i do actually like the milgauss.

the PO is the normal 42mm

I have both watches. Milgauss black dial, and PO 45mm Titanium.

Love them both, but very different watches.

If I only had one then it'd definitely be the Milgauss. Much more versatile - I comfortably wear it with suits and shorts, whereas the PO is much more of a weekend wearer.

Finish of the case, bracelet and dial are also better on the Milgauss.

The size of the Milgauss is also a very tasteful 40mm x 13mm which lends to the versatility.

Both the PO sizes (42 and 45) are over 16mm tall. Great sporty watch, but not quite as suitable with cuffs.

Considering they are such different watches, you could plan for both in the longer term. Try them both on and get the one that makes you the happiest now.
    Last edited by cedargrove; October 5th, 2013 at 16:40.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information