My grail is here!

Thread: My grail is here!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    v76

Picture My grail is here!

I'd spotted this one for the first time almost two months back. In the meanwhile, I'd been trying to get my hands on a vintage (not strictly so, from the '70s anyways) cal. 400 El Primero with not much success ... to fit my budget, that is. But I'm really glad I broke down and got this Zenith Elite 680 automatic because boy-o-boy she's a real beauty, especially in the flesh.

The case is so elegantly proportioned (polished all over), I love the dagger hands and the raised/applied markers for the 5 minute intervals. The detail on the dial, hands and markers appears flawless, me likey! But the real icing on the cake from the appearance point of view is the guilloched concentric circles which seem to make the dial absorb and reflect light in so many wonderful ways from that gorgeously blue dial. The small unpatterned portion of the dial over which the seconds hand sweeps seems lighter than the rest of the dial. I think this is due to the fact that the guilloched part reflects less light to the observer's eyes as compared to the unpatterned part and hence appears darker (can be proved by simple ray tracing, or other techniques - optics 101). As beautiful as the dial side is, the movement appears even prettier, the finishing absolutely exquisite. The blue Lousiana crocodile strap completes the pretty picture (with a blue thread seam stitching).

The case is about 36 mm in dia. and less than 6 mm in thickness, I think and from what I read the cal. 680 is about 3.28 mm thick which would make it one of the thinner automatic movements used in watches today. The gently curved lugs have no sharp edges at all and are as beautifully finished as the rest of the case, it makes the watch sit very comfortably over the flat of the wrist. The dial seems to wear a bit larger than the size indicated due to the small size of the bezel, really love the proportions on this watch. I love the lepine arrangement (opposite the crown) of the small seconds hand, it really adds character to the dial (and a bit of uniqueness). It is one of the primary reasons I chose the cal. 680 over the 670 (and the direct drive seconds hand, as I was informed by Hartmut). The whole effect seems to be one of class and elegance.

However, all that effort would be a bit of a waste if the primary function of the watch isn't served - to tell time as accurately as its mechanical innards will allow it to. I have talked to a couple of owners of Zenith cal. 680s, and they tell me that the movement far exceeds COSC specs in absolute rate deviation, positional error and temperature variation. That has to be seen with my example, only time will tell ...

Right now, I'm happier than a kid in a candy store, the first blush of spring seems to have settled on this lovely timepiece ... I must say, it isn't all that far off from horological perfection.

Off with my rambling, on to the pudding ... er, pics -

The gorgeous movement ... one of those few instances where I think a see through caseback is really warranted.

And finally onto the gratuitous wrist shots -

Last edited by v76; March 1st, 2010 at 13:09.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Re: My grail is here!

Congrats on your grail! That movement looks beautiful!!
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

v76

Thank you! Well ... it's a minor grail, but a grail nonetheless. This one should stop me in my tracks for a while

Really love everything about the watch ... especially the movement.
    Collection:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is very, very nice! Hearty congratulations on your latest acquisition!

Best regards,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

v76

Quote Originally Posted by ohmegah View Post
    That is very, very nice! Hearty congratulations on your latest acquisition!

Best regards,
    Wallace
    Thank you!
    Collection:

Movement looks like a candy .... you could eat it

Congratulations on very beautiful watch

igorfiume

v76

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Movement looks like a candy .... you could eat it

Congratulations on very beautiful watch
    Thanks a lot! I definitely know now which watch is going to be on my wrist the next couple of months non-stop
    Collection:

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Beautiful looking Zenith you got there congratulations.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

v76

Thanks man! Any luck with the PAM thus far (insurance, repair, etc.)?
    Collection:

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Thanks man! Any luck with the PAM thus far (insurance, repair, etc.)?
    Yep, insurance is covering the purchase. I decided I am going to purchase a couple of watches instead of another PAM.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information