My Grandfather's Watch

Thread: My Grandfather's Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My Grandfather's Watch

In 1967, when my grandfather retired from his job at a factory in New York, he received the obligatory gold mechanical watch for his efforts. I was barely a year old at the time and he passed away a few years later. After his funeral, I was told that it was wish that I inherit this watch. I was still a young boy at the time and my parents felt I wasn't old enough to appreciate or care for it properly, so the watch sat in storage, forgotten for nearly 30 years.

When I grew to be a man, got married, and started a family of my own, someone remembered my grandfather’s watch and presented it to me to commemorate the birth of my first son. I graciously accepted the tarnished reminder of a man I barely remembered. Knowing little about watches, this mechanical device was a mystery to me. Why would anyone take the time to wind a watch every day when quartz watches were so convenient, I wondered.

As time passed, I became wiser and came to appreciate traditional devices long neglected and frequently scorned by contemporary society. Most notably, I developed a love for fountain pens and bottled inks, as well as "wet" shaving with a double-edge razor, with cream you mix in a bowl and apply with a badger-hair brush. So I guess it was only natural that I'd become curious about vintage watches sooner or later.

Fast forward eight years. One morning I looked into the watch box sitting on my dresser and felt compelled to pick up my grandfather’s watch. I held it in my hands, gently winding the crown. I was spellbound as the sub-dial’s second hand began to sweep around silently, marking the time. I became captivated by the simple design of the dial and, paradoxically, the complicated mechanical mechanism ticking away just beneath the surface of the brushed white dial. I slipped it on and immediately felt a connection to a man I last saw three decades earlier; a connection which, until now, consisted mainly of sharing the same name. Memories rushed back of those moments we shared together, the lessons he taught me, like watching the Mets win the '73 World Series, and how to bait my first fish hook. In my mind's eye, I saw him sitting in his rocking chair, ancient even then, smoking his pipe, and I swear I could smell the tobacco wafting through the air.

Taking a jeweler’s cloth, I gently buffed and polished the watch until more than a quarter-century of accumulated grime was gone and all that remained was the shiny yellow gold of the case. The crystal was nearly flawless, and the engraving on the case-back revealed itself. My grandfather’s initials – my initials – glinted in the light once again. Weeks of testing showed that this old watch still keeps perfect time, and I finally installed a new watch strap yesterday and the watch really does look to be in mint-condition. I am today, at last, proudly wearing my grandfather’s watch.

Although it hasn’t been worn much until today, this is the watch that fueled my growing love for fine timepieces. I thought it fitting to share its story, and these images, with you today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by TimeZero; June 5th, 2009 at 00:40. Reason: I just can't help tinkering
    James Partridge

On the wrist today: D. Dornblueth & Sohn 99.8

Re: My Grandfather's Watch

That's a good story. It's a nice looking watch and it looks almost new.

None the less it may not be a bad idea to get it serviced if it hasn't been, oils etc still break down even if it hasn't been running.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Great story and a very nice watch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino33 View Post
    That's a good story. It's a nice looking watch and it looks almost new.

None the less it may not be a bad idea to get it serviced if it hasn't been, oils etc still break down even if it hasn't been running.
    Thank you - I agree, I'd like to get it serviced and have someone open it up to see what's inside. I don't want to entrust this watch to just anyone, though, and I don't know any reputable watch repair folks in my area. Still looking, though!

James
    James Partridge

Lovely watch and a lovely story to match. I'm a sucker for family continuity stories.

I just inherited my dad's watch. It will have to go on a strap also as the men's bracelet won't fit my woman's wrist and I'm reluctant to have it cut down. It's nice to see how great yours looks.

Jeannie
    Last edited by GinGinD; June 4th, 2009 at 18:23. Reason: typo

Touching story and a great post.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=171339

The Cornavin company was founded in Geneva, Switzerland back in the 1920s. They made a wide variety of watches of various grades. In the 1970s, they started outsourcing; movements from Russia, dials from Taiwan, cases and assembly in Hong Kong etc, etc. By the end of that decade they were sourcing complete watches from the Soviet Union, mostly from the Petrodvorets Watch Factory (makers of Raketa).

Looks a little like a vintage Patek - very nice!!
    "Time flies when you're having fun - Except when you're staring at your watch collection; then it ticks by nice and slow"

Rolex SeaDweller
    Tag Monaco
    Accutron Astronaut MK II
    Girard-Perregaux (Vintage 1970's)

V8

Great story, and you wrote it very well. Thanks for sharing.

And welcome to forum from a fellow Michigander.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Thanks, - great to be here. I've got loads to learn, but this has been a great experience for me. Since you're here in the Great Lakes State, can you recommend any decent watchmakers in the area? We may want to take this back-channel, so feel free to PM or email me if appropriate.
    James Partridge

Beautiful ..........

Watch & Story.

Here's my Grandfathers ..................

Kurt

What a cool story and nice watch! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information