My Grandfather's Watch

Thread: My Grandfather's Watch

thnx
    Last edited by Jray; August 15th, 2012 at 00:07.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: My Grandfather's Watch

I was just about to post that link about the history of the brand, too.

For the OP, the Paul Breguette brand was created by the Swiss watch company, Ebel, back in 1935, when they started exporting watches to the USA. Why they decided to create a new brand name for the U.S. market is beyond me, but eventually they phased it out when they started exporting to the U.S. under their own name, Ebel. So it seems the watchmaker you went to is 180 degrees wrong. The P.B. brand was only available over here, and not in Europe.

Amazing what 30 seconds on Google will find.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; August 14th, 2012 at 23:50.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jray View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm new to the forum and mainly joined to see if anyone could help me find information about my grandfather's Paul Breguette self-winding wrist watch. My mom gave it to me and it's been in a box in my dresser for a few years. When I took it to the local watchmaker (supposedly the only cerified watchmaker from here to Georgia, I'm in SC) to have it cleaned and repaired (the minute hand wasn't working), his apprentice calls me and says its worth $10,000-$15,000. I seriously doubt that is true, as my grandparents were not rich and I suspect he just wanted to charge me a $200 premium to "open it up" rather than his standard $60. When I went back, the watchmaker didn't substantiate the high value, but showed me several similar watches on eBay that varied greatly in price, nothing even close to $10k. I would never sell it, but wanted to know if there is any way to get any background on a watch. The watchmaker said he could give me some history after he opened it up but all he could tell me was that it wasn't sold in America and was from either the 60's or 70's. Well that didn't make since either, since my grandfather hadn't been over seas since the end of WWII. Any tips or advice on how to get some history or value would be greatly appreciated.
    We aren't supposed to place a value on watches here. However, we are not looking at a watch that would sell on eBay for this price. Of course, this is a family heirloom, so I would hold onto it. It's a very attractive watch.

Since the OP very rudely deleted his text this thread is now closed.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information