My Granny's wind-up Omega (antique?) watch has stopped

Thread: My Granny's wind-up Omega (antique?) watch has stopped

My Granny's wind-up Omega (antique?) watch has stopped

Hello there Watchuseek-ers,

My granny recently gave me her slender Omega wrist watch (from the 70s, I think), and it has stopped (I *have* wound it, of course ).

When I called Omega to see about getting it serviced, they said that they would charge me to get an estimate for the service. When I asked if the resulting service charge would likely be more than £40, say, they said it would probably be around £350-£500. Gulp.

The watch is a gift which I very much enjoy wearing. I wouldn't afford myself a £500 watch at the moment, however, let alone spending my rent on the service of one.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Ella

Re: My Granny's wind-up Omega (antique?) watch has stopped

Finding a local watchmaker willing and able to service and repair it would be another option. But for any mechanical watch, even a cheap service is going to be $125 - $250 (~£75 - £150), at least around here. And that's just a service - actual repairs will be more. So they may be cheaper than sending it to Omega, but it still won't be cheap.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Omega charges crazy prices, particularly for older watch movements. When I looked online for my 50 years old Seamaster, the service in Bienne was well over $1,000. Here, my local watchmaker is doing it for less than half that price, and it includes many new parts that Omega would have charged me extra for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have serviced many vitnage omega watches - I am happy to take a look for you at the £40 price mark. Obviously I am a random stranger but a leap of faith could well set you on your way. Russ.

Inactive

I'll send a recommendation for a cheap UK watchmaker by PM. MUCH lower prices and perfectly able to service the movement properly!

Thread Information