My honest journey thus far...
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: My honest journey thus far...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My honest journey thus far...

Hi all, I was reflecting today that this community has meant a lot to me during a pretty important time of my life.. 2012 to present day, going through university and the first 4 years of my career plus getting engaged. I wanted to post about my watch journey to see if anyone finds it relatable... buckle up for a long read...

Seiko SKX007 - bought summer 2012, I was 19 years old. This was my first watch I ever bought! Did tons of research and discovered WUS... no friends with watches at the time, my dad has a Tag dive watch from the 90s and a cool Ernest Borel watch from the 60s that his grandpa gave him, but other than that, only exposure to watches was my fascination of Rolex and a few family friends who had them. SKX was purchased from cash gained during my first summer internship, I wore It throughout university.

Steinhart OT500 - bought summer 2017, yes, I was satisfied with the SKX for 5 years!! Somehow, WUS didn't infect me with watch addiction until summer 2017. I had done some occasional watch research leading up to this point, mostly on micro brands. There was a time that I was really keen on the idea of a value-oriented, high quality, micro brand dive watch. This led to the steinhart purchase after researching dozens of micro brands. I love this watch and continue to think of it as one of my favorites... $600 on a watch was a lot of money for me at this time.

Balance of 2017 - now I am hooked on WUS, but I didn't have a lot of money. I was working as an analyst at a mid-tier management consulting company and living in Miami. Pay was great, but mostly went to rent and travel. I also had an inflatable RIB boat with a 10 horsepower motor in a marina that I sunk a lot of money into. Lol! I picked up a Seiko samurai Blue lagoon, orient Monterey, seiko blue moon cocktail time, and... yes... an invicta pro diver. After the steinhart purchase I really wasn't setting out to buy a lot of watches, but they ended up finding their way into my pelican case. Seikos came as a result of discovering the urban gentry on YouTube. TGV got me hooked on watch research, and to this day I watch YouTube videos from WatchBox, Urban Gentry, time and tide, and many others. My blue lagoon is a simply awesome limited edition seiko. The invicta came because I wanted to get my brother into watches, and he had never owned a mechanical watch. He really liked the Rolex sub, so I bought him a $40 mechanical pro diver and bought myself one to try it out. I ended up keeping it to demonstrate to my friends that you can get a decent mechanical dive watch for under $50.

May 2018 - BOOM, big promotion at work with a bonus, so I head to the mall and buy a Tudor Black Bay S&G. This was my first watch over $1K... and it cost $5K. I mention this, not to be vulgar, but because some may find my watch journey relatable. I was scared to spend so much money on a watch. But I was 24 years old, my car was paid off, and I had been making good 401K contributions along with other investments... so... i bought the watch, and it is so awesome. I finally felt like I could buy a big boy watch.. and it was so satisfying to walk into that Rolex AD and buy it at retail. I think WUS and YouTube channels really make it seem like everyone has luxury watches, and I know that isn't true, but I felt like I was missing out not having one... so, luckily, the opportunity came for me to buy... I really identify with the Tudor brand, and the black bay is just so cool.. hard to explain, but I am sure you all know what I mean.

Late 2018 - I bought the G Shock Gulfmaster, as I really wanted an analog-digital watch, and I like how it can connect to atomic clocks for time alignment and recharge the battery via solar.

Mid 2019 - just turned 26 - bought a swatch system 51 after stumbling into a swatch store in Miami.

Summary: I have loved watches for 7 years now, I am hooked on researching watches and have steadily progressed from seiko to micro brands, to eventually buying my Tudor. I have recently gotten engaged and am focused on saving for the wedding and a new car for my fiance. I am an automation manager at a fortune 500 company... looking to advance my career over the coming years.. not a lot of money for watches, so I will have to settle in and enjoy what I have. I have never flipped a watch, and don't plan on doing so... I gave the SKX to my soon to be brother in law. He is 16 years old and I was hoping it would get him into watches.

What is next? Well... when I buy a house with a 20% down payment, and everything else is steady with decent cash flow, I plan on buying a used PM Rolex. Thanks for reading!
    Simon, jah, urbino and 13 others like this.

Re: My honest journey thus far...

Nice story and collection. Plus nice to hear you're funding the retirement and house first. I like the variety in your collection and interested to see where you go from here.

Your self-discipline is admirable, truly

I have a Blue Lagoon Turtle and I agree, it is a beautiful watch. I love the blues and yellow and the way it plays with light.

Great job and congrats on the Tudor!
    Cpt Canuck likes this.
    Current:
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 8900
    Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38 mm
    Seiko SARB033
    Seiko SKX007J
    Orient Mako Pepsi
    Suunto Core Altimeter All Black
    Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Much as I love watches I’m glad to hear that you’ve got your priorities right.

Nice collection. Good luck and stay focused on what is most important to you at this time.
    Cpt Canuck likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks all!! In case you were wondering... I still have the boat motor... boat is gone though. Lol! I will update this thread as the years go by...

Fantastic post, excellent priorities. I really like the eclectic diversity in your collection. Look forward to seeing you on the forum.
    Cpt Canuck likes this.

you definitely deserved the Tudor when you bought it
    Cpt Canuck likes this.

I really like the dial on that Swatch. Nice collection!
    Cpt Canuck likes this.

I admire your story and journey so far, God bless buddy.
    Cpt Canuck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information