My Monster Stinks

Thread: My Monster Stinks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Monster Stinks

Literally. I've worn my Black Monster 24/7 for the past few years (I only take it off to shower). I took it off to show the case back to someone at work today and was embarassed to find that it smells of old socks and appears to have things growing in the bracelet.

It's time for a Monster bath.

I have an old toothbrush that should do well for scrubbing, but I'm not sure what to use as a cleaner. Plain water isn't going to do it. I don't want to use soap or detergent because I'm afraid it will leave residue.

What do I have around the house that would safely de-funkify the monster? Rubbing alcohol? WD-40? What would you recommend?

Re: My Monster Stinks

Smell/stink is caused by bacteria.

Bleach kills 100% of bacteria. But I dont know what it will do to the finish. Whatever you use, only try it on a small part first to see how it does. And use a new toothbrush, not an old one that probably also has bacteria and grime on it.

I also think its funny you havent washed your watch in years, there is stuff growing on it....yet you are afraid to leave residue on it.
    Last edited by Dace; May 24th, 2007 at 02:11.

One part Mr. Clean to three parts water. Soft toothbrush and dry with
    a hair dryer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WX1

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    Literally. I've worn my Black Monster 24/7 for the past few years (I only take it off to shower). I took it off to show the case back to someone at work today and was embarassed to find that it smells of old socks and appears to have things growing in the bracelet.

It's time for a Monster bath.

I have an old toothbrush that should do well for scrubbing, but I'm not sure what to use as a cleaner. Plain water isn't going to do it. I don't want to use soap or detergent because I'm afraid it will leave residue.

What do I have around the house that would safely de-funkify the monster? Rubbing alcohol? WD-40? What would you recommend?
    I'd do a soap and water scrub (I usually just use some cotton flannel; but, maybe in case like yours I wouldn’t hesitate to use ye olde [an old, soft bristle’d I should say] toothbrush) just to initially CLEAN and free the thing from bacteria and other nasties. That or maybe rubbing alcohol (I’ve used both for grime that’s developed on my rubber bracelets; haven’t had too much problems with dirtiness on metal bands, I gotta say; I guess I can attribute that to giving a lightly handled once over with the jeweler’s cloth every so often). I do both anyway . . . carefully (‘specially with the rubbing alcohol).

After all, most cream/chemical agents created for the purpose of cleaning stuff admonish to do what in the instructions? That’s right, make sure the surface area to be polished or applied upon is cleaned first.

I notice that a sharp toothpick does WONDERS for removing grime. Give a nice, softly-applied once over with a toothpick for the hard to reach, especially grooved spots on your metal (can use a toothpick to pick grime that’s built up on any open hole designs on your watch bands – metal, rubber, whatever – as well).

From the “don’t-work-for-‘em-just-a-satisfied-customer” dept., Flitz metal polish is supposed to be used for metal, but, I’ve had some success in using it to give a nice constant hue on my rubber straps . . . that is after I’ve cleaned them w/soap and water and/or rubbing alcohol.

All of this works for me, at least. Hope my $.02 helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    I also think its funny you havent washed your watch in years, there is stuff growing on it....yet you are afraid to leave residue on it.
    Yeah, I guess that's kind of ironic. A long time ago I used to shower with a watch on, but stopped because soap residue built up in every crevice of the watch. That's what worries me about using soap, though I guess one cleaning isn't going to leave much behind.

Thing is, the watch looks fine on the outside. I had no idea how nasty the inside of the bracelet was getting until I took it off and really looked at it.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The thing about showering with the watch on is the soap scum left behind just smells like your soap. And is no harder to get off that what you have now.

And with a driver's watch showering won't hurt it.

Since its's only .02. the easiest way I clean the band and the watch is with a nonabrasive toothpaste, Crest will do, about once a week with an old toothbush. cleans the band, the watchback, even the crystal. I use it on my beater-Citizen eco-drive aqualand. Does great. No scratches or damage.
    Hey did you know an Arkansan invented the toothbrush?
    Anywhere else it would have been a 'teethbrush'.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
    Since its's only .02. the easiest way I clean the band and the watch is with a nonabrasive toothpaste, Crest will do, about once a week with an old toothbush. cleans the band, the watchback, even the crystal. I use it on my beater-Citizen eco-drive aqualand. Does great. No scratches or damage.
    Hey did you know an Arkansan invented the toothbrush?
    Anywhere else it would have been a 'teethbrush'.
    Thanks for the tip. I've heard about using toothpaste on acrylic crystals, but never thought about using it on steel.

Heh, I'm an Arkansan too :) I live in Little Rock.

LTH

I clean my watches with water, soap and a soft brush for nails, since years...
    Swatch Sistem 51 Arrow (custom bracelet), Bulova Snorkel 96B209, Seiko SSA174K1 "unicorn" 4R37, Seiko SKA465P1 Kinetic 5M62-0CH0, Alpha Sundial Black, Seiko "SPØRK" SRP043K1, MQJ submariner, Casio WVA-430, Citizen diver NY2300-09EB, Seiko 5 SNXS77K (7S26) , Casio Protrek PRT-500 , Swatch Beat webmaster , vintage Seiko 5 (1972 defective) various Casio, Pulsar, Yonger&Bresson all anadigit and a Fossil WristPda:oops:

Hey a fellow Razorback-I am in Jonesboro, when I am home. On the road quite a bit with the job. I think everyone here has good ideas.
    Good luck with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information