My New (to me) Orient Blue Ray!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By youngngray

Thread: My New (to me) Orient Blue Ray!

Gift My New (to me) Orient Blue Ray!

If you remember back about two weeks ago, one of our splendid forum members had reached 1,000 posts. In order to celebrate, he decided to give away one beautiful watch that he no longer found himself wearing. That member was dbakiva, I was the one who won. So before I go any farther, I wanted to thank him for this wonderful watch, and just let everyone know how awesome he is.

Now, onto the promised review-type thing.

(phone picture just after setting it)
    Name:  blueray1.jpg
Views: 6303
Size:  213.9 KB

The first thing that I really noticed about this watch was the thickness. Never having owned a real dive watch before I just wasn't expecting the height that it brought. This isn't a complaint though, just an observation, I find that it sits quite nicely on my wrist actually. Then of course, every dive watch noob must immediately move on to the bezel. Click... Click... ClickClickClickClickClick. Well that's fun! I've also found it useful for timing various things, such as the amount of time I have left for a test and so on.

After playing with the bezel for entirely too long, I started to admire the color of the dial. I think my first picture shows it the best, but the color reflects in two different ways to product a lighter and darker blue at the same time. Finally, I got to the crown and pusher to set the watch. These are cool because they are screw down (which I had also never used before). The main crown/stem sets the date and time, while the pusher sets the day. The day indicator is also really neat due to the double pivot that Orient uses so that it can be bilingual. Yep, the day window features the day in both English as well as Spanish. While I'll never use the Spanish setting, that's cool!

The bracelet is certainly adequate for the watch. It's mainly brushed SS with some polished trim down the middle. The clasp also has a locking mechanism so that it is harder for the watch to fall off accidentally (not that I would anticipate that happening anyway). It has a few scratches and scuffs from the previous owners, but that's certainly to be expected, it looks well taken care of.

So to summarize, this watch is cool. I really enjoy it as a sporty alternative to wearing my Hamilton most days while still giving off some elegant flair. Or something like that. How would I know, I don't have that many watches yet! Here, just have another picture. (Those of you very keen may be able to tell what college I go to from this picture, I welcome guesses :) )

Name:  blueray2.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  171.7 KB

-youngngray
    dbakiva and Popoki Nui like this.
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

Re: My New (to me) Orient Blue Ray!

Congrats, that's great stuff! Enjoy it!!

Getting close to a 1,000 posts myself... not sure what I can do to celebrate though :)

Lucky you! Thanks for sharing with us.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to bump an old thread, but while searching pictures of the Orient blue ray I came upon this picture and thread, and noticed right away that you are on the Drillfield at VT looking towards War Memorial Chapel.

Quote Originally Posted by canes12 View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but while searching pictures of the Orient blue ray I came upon this picture and thread, and noticed right away that you are on the Drillfield at VT looking towards War Memorial Chapel.
    Regretfully, I haven't been on this website in quite a while. I was going back through old threads and I happened to see the reply. Absolutely correct! I go there as a sophomore in electrical engineering.
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

Thread Information