My New Titanium Automatic Dive Watch + Questions about mods

Thread: My New Titanium Automatic Dive Watch + Questions about mods

Lightbulb My New Titanium Automatic Dive Watch + Questions about mods

So my 1st Colomer and Sons watch arrived. I backed this a few months ago on a Kickstarter project. It is my first titanium automatic watch and I am excited. Pictures are at the end of the post. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    - Arrive in a small 2-watches-holder box with glass top, seems nice to keep some of my watches. Material is ok, nothing fancy, but who cares about this
    - Full titanium from case, bracelet, to bezel --> the warm feeling of titanium is great
    - Automatic movement with date complication. Although I wish they use a better movement (more on the Cons)
    - Domed Sapphire Crystal
    - 200m WR
    - Mother of pearl. From what they put on their kickstarter page, they only make 50 of these bright blue color and purple color, the rest are dark blue dial.
    - Sandwich dial with minimal and white/hard-to-see letters/logo (I actually prefer this as it does not obstruct the beauty of the mother of pearl)
    - Nice caseback. I prefer solid case back with beautiful design rather than the see through boring movement.
    - Solid end link titanium bracelet
    - Limited edition (6/900). Looks cool although I know it does not mean much since 900 is a lot!!!
    - Lume: everywhere from markers on dial to the small white ring inside the dial, hands, and bezels. Lume is quite good, last average time (haven't measured yet)
    - 41mm and 48mm lug-lug - wear perfect for my 7 in 1/2 wrist
    - Little small logo they put on the top and bottom of the case, at the clasp and crown
    - 10 years guarantee o.O
    - Price: ~220 EUR or ~280 USD

Cons:
    - Biggest issue: Miyota 8215 with no hacking and the loud sound of the winding mechanism :(
    - The clasp could have been better with smaller adjustment. The holes in the clasp was not perfectly machined as indicated from the pictures
    - The hands with white color look a bit cheap. Although I verify with the company and they are made out of brass, so I am happy with that
    - The bezel has some play, not too bad, but my OCD kicks in sometimes
    - The inevitable scratches as it is Titanium with no Citizen Duratect coating

Overall, I love the watch so far. Definitely wear very light and fits the style I want.

Mods in the future and questions for the experienced watch lovers:
    - I want to swap the Miyota 8215 for a better movement (at least with something that hacks) and possibly the hands in the future. Any suggestion on the watchmakers that can do this and how much is it usually cost???
    - Suggestion on something to buff out the titanium scratches in the future???

Apologize if the thread looks terrible, I'm still learning how to post pictures up here.

Thanks.

Name:  IMG_0871.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  2.29 MBName:  IMG_0870.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  2.97 MBName:  IMG_0865.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.77 MBName:  IMG_0861.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  2.61 MBName:  IMG_0866.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  2.85 MBName:  IMG_0868.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  1.84 MBName:  IMG_0858.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.79 MBName:  IMG_0863.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  1.27 MBName:  IMG_0859.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  1.56 MBName:  IMG_0857.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.83 MB

Re: My New Titanium Automatic Dive Watch + Questions about mods

Looks good, especially the colour of that dial. But yeah, would be better if they had used a 9015 movement instead of the 8215. But swapping the movement will be difficult as I don't think there are any that will line up with the dial feet properly. So I'd say you would be better off keeping the movement you have.

Thanks for the info about the movement. The pearl changes color depend on light, mostly light blue but sometimes dark pink/light purple, quite nice to look at.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Still wondering about the questions:

1. I want to swap the Miyota 8215 for a better movement (at least with something that hacks) and also the hands in the future. Is it possible and worth doing?

2. Any suggestion on the watchmakers that can do this and how much is it usually cost???

3. Suggestion on something to buff out the titanium scratches in the future???

Thanks

1. There aren't many drop-in replacements for the Miyota 8200 series. The DG2813 is the only drop-in replacement and I can't guarantee it would be better. The 9015 is too thin-- different crown height.

2. If you're modifying dial feet to get the height correct it's going to be cost of movement + labor. Assume $50-150 depending on movement and labor based on the whims of your watchmaker.

3. Ti is somewhat self-healing as the oxidation will make small scratches less noticeable. You don't want to 'buff' anything probably.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Thread Information