My next purchase: Ulysses Nardin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Blancpain?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My next purchase: Ulysses Nardin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Blancpain?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My next purchase: Ulysses Nardin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Blancpain?

So, since I splurged on a few watches already, I'm going to put off my next watch purchase for a few months.

However, I do know what I'd like to get for my next purchase - it's going to be one of these bad boys, and I'd like to start doing my "research".

Here are the 3:

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control 139.84.20

Blancpain Villeret Ultra-Slim 6223-1127-55

Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Chronometer

Yes, I realize one of these things is not like the other, but here's what I am thinking:

I like the JLC and the Blancpain because they are dressy. And I like dress watches because they are infinitely more flexible than any other kind (i.e. it is easy to look good in a polo shirt, khakis, and boat shoes wearing a dress watch, while I cannot pull off wearing a diver or a chronometer with a suit -- I'd look like a schmuck, not to mention feeling like one). I really like the simple and plain look of both.

On the other hand, I've a soft spot for UN because my old man is a big fan of UN, and I've come to admire their watches. I've had my eye on the MMC for as long as I can remember, and while the dial is large (41mm), I am glad that it is still large but not unreasonably so for my wrists (~40 mm). It's one of those few watches that I think ooze character (and I realize that this is a completely personal thing).

Right now, I've stack ranked the three as BP, UN, and JLC. Other watches that I've considered:

Rolex Submariner -- simple yet beautiful, but they're too pedestrian in terms of how widespread they are. I've also been looking at Baume et Mercier Capeland 10006 (Flyback Chronograph), but I think it looks way too busy. I already one own watch that looks that busy (Breitling Navitimer), and I almost never wear it. If I waited a little while more, it would be the ALS Saxonia, in black, but I'm not sure I want to go that long without getting one.

Are there others that I have missed that I should be looking at? I am not even sure what I want, but ideally, I'd like something that's well-made and unique in either design or functionality (or both). What are people's thoughts/recommendations?

Re: My next purchase: Ulysses Nardin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Blancpain?

And here I was getting all excited cause I thought I finally made your gift list…SHUCKS!!!

Pops
    Last edited by azpops; June 26th, 2011 at 09:33.
    Metlin likes this.
    Have a great day, or night! ...

Pops

... ...

metlin: having read many of your posts.. i would say the UN fits you the best. it has the most character between the three options, and the steel bracelet oozes pure class. imho.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by revangel View Post
    metlin: having read many of your posts.. i would say the UN fits you the best. it has the most character between the three options, and the steel bracelet oozes pure class. imho.
    Much like picking puppies, neckties, and wives, I am unsure if this post is a tongue-in-cheek jab or great advice. Either way, awesome job! And yes, I do agree that the UN has the most character of the three.

Banned

This is an unhelpful comment (I'm always consistent) but you could hardly go wrong irrespective of your final choice.
    They're all beauties! There is (almost) no greater joy than the 'anguish' in choosing between great watches.

Quote Originally Posted by pexyme View Post
    This is an unhelpful comment (I'm always consistent) but you could hardly go wrong irrespective of your final choice.
    They're all beauties! There is (almost) no greater joy than the 'anguish' in choosing between great watches.
    I concur! In an ideal world, I would like to get all three (and I haven't ruled that out yet).

And on a tangent, I tried applying the same philosophy to the human mating ritual called marriage. Unfortunately, that was when I found out that Krav Maga isn't some hokey yoga thing.

not sure what you should do mate..but i love you dilemma! Personally the plain Master Control isn't my favourite from the MC range but i do prefer it over the Blancpain you've selected...and i think UN have some nicer models so id have to go for the MC

Of those three, I'd pick the JLC. I don't like the "automatic" on the dial of the BP and just can't get into the UN (looks a bit cartoonish to me, sorry). Good luck with your decision, though.
    matt

lvt

JLC

I like the bold looking bezel.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

v76

As much as I love JLC, I'd pick the Villeret ultra slim. For me, the order of preference would be -

1. Blancpain Villeret Ultra-Slim
    2. JLC Master Control auto., and
    3. The UN
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information