My quest for my perfect watch - where next?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My quest for my perfect watch - where next?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Confused My quest for my perfect watch - where next?

Hi all,

I began my watch journey a couple of years ago now, and have bought and sold quite a few watches. I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for!

Below are previous watches I've owned, and the reason I no longer have them:

• Seiko 5 pilot : Lovely little watch for the money, and was my first mechanical. I found the dial too busy, it was slightly too small for me (6.75" wrists) and I disliked the "5" logo
    • Seiko 5 SNXS73K : Great looking dress watch but again, too small at 36mm
    • Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic (40mm): Too big, too deep. Seemed unsure whether it was dress or casual and didn't really work as either, in my opinion.
    • Tissot Visodate: Love retro stuff, but this failed to move me. Seemed a bit "cold" in spite of retro touches. Case quite deep, and large at 40mm, but face was a nice size. Hands seemed way too short.
    • Tissot Le Locle: Very nice watch for the money. However, it was a bit too "old" for me (I'm 39) and didn't really feel "me". I'm unsure if I like Roman numerals
    • Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm: Now this was a great everyday watch, and I loved the hand wind aspect and also the thin case. Not sure why I sold it, maybe I found the dial a bit busy, and maybe it was a bit too casual
    • Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm: Same as above, liked it but a bit too casual for me (I dress smart casual most days). Not sure military watches are "me"
    • Orient Bambino (white and black versions): Love the domed crystal and retro style, but wore very large at 40mm
    • Hamilton Thin-o-matic 38mm: I liked this one, but something wasn't quite right. The date window clashing with the "3" perhaps? Lovely size though.
    • Seiko SARB031: Smaller version of the Bambino with a nicer movement. Trouble is, this looks too small on me, and is a bit too dressy for every day wear.
    • Rodina "Nomos" clone: A bit "blah". I like Bauhaus and minimalism, but this seems too boring to me, in spite of the blued hands and seconds sub-dial. Case is also very clunky, and it wears very large for 38mm. My first watch with seconds subdial - always wanted one, now not sure I like them.
    • Laco Vintage 38mm : Too dressy, too blingy, unreadable (silver on silver). I do like domed crystal though.

So, some things I've learned:

• My perfect size is around 37-39mm depending on the style of watch
    • I don't want too dressy, or too casual
    • I don't like divers or chronos, or bracelets. Too common, and I find them cheesy, especially with a suit, but that's another thread ()
    • I don't like unnecessary wording on the dial. "Sports", "Automatic" and "Intra-matic" on same dial, etc
    • I don't like badly positioned day windows or cut off numerals
    • I don't think white faces are for me (too conservative?)
    • I don't think pilots are for me (too tool-y) and not sure I like the bomber associations
    • I find polished silver hands on black face hard to read, white on black much better
    • I don't want anything cartoonish (Mondaine)
    • I don't like gold or rose-gold

So.....

Here's a few watches I've looked at that seem right, but just aren't:

• Black Stowa Antea KS - Way over budget, too long a wait, too small at 35mm
    • Max Bill Auto - Over budget, black Auto has white date wheel which spoils the symmetry, odd lozenge shape, and wears very large for 38mm
    • Aristo Aristocrat - Right price and size, but white dial, and maybe too similar to Seiko SARB 031. Maybe too dressy for everyday.
    • Steinhart Marine 38 - Now I like this one a lot, to look at and appreciate, but not sure it's quite "me"

I've recently been quite attracted to the one-handed watches, specifically black dial Botta UNO, but unfortunately the Auto version I like has a date window, the one I like is Quartz!

So, before I waste even more hours scouring the internet, I would love some suggestions from you wonderful people. I'm sure there are lots of brands I have missed.

My budget is around £400.

Thanks guys!

WnS

Re: My quest for my perfect watch - where next?

39mm and you can swap the bracelet for a 20mm blue leather strap. $450.

Last edited by WnS; March 7th, 2013 at 15:06.
    I'm content with my watch collection

You could also check out the other SARB models. Most are 38mm as opposed to the one you had which is 36mm.
    The Alpinist is not too dressy and comes on a strap.
    Last edited by GlennO; March 7th, 2013 at 14:38.
    npulaski likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    39mm and you can swap the bracelet for a 20mm blue leather strap. $450.

That's a nice looking watch. I've never had a coloured dial before. How versatile is a blue dial, would you say?

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by jhclare View Post
    That's a nice looking watch. I've never had a coloured dial before. How versatile is a blue dial, would you say?
    You won't get thrown out of any venues for wearing it.
    Nokie likes this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    You could also check out the other SARB models. Most are 38mm as opposed to the one you had which is 36mm.
    The Alpinist is not too dressy and comes on a strap.
    The other SARBs never did much for me aesthetically - too boring. They're too much like basic Seiko 5s in the design department, apart from the Cocktail Time. I wish the Cocktail Time was smaller, but even then, I'm not sure it's an every day watch.

The Alpinist looks nice but it looks like something Indiana Jones would wear. Kind of cool but not really my style.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

How versatile is a blue dial, would you say?
    In my experience, very versatile. I think WnS has made a good recommendation, that's a cool looking watch.

How versatile is a blue dial, would you say?
    Blue really is versatile. It dresses up and down with ease.

Just stumbled on this watch, the Orient Star WZ0231EL. It's between the size of the SARB031 (too small) and Bambino (too large).

I just read that the hands on these are half-matt along one side, which would solve my readability issue against the black face.

I think this watch could be dressed up or down with a change of strap!

Anyone own this one and could post some wrist-shots?

Thanks!

Anything Stowa is always good.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information