My review of the Seiko SRPA29
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My review of the Seiko SRPA29

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My review of the Seiko SRPA29

I recently had the opportunity to head up to Boston to meet up with some fellow WUS'rs. Great people, really, my expectations were set low as I was expecting a bit of snobbery, but instead I got a wealth of knowledge and I had a blast doing it (though driving through Boston during rush hour in a 5 speed manual was quite unsatisfactory). I got a big boost on watch testosterone and when I got back to CT I stopped at my local Seiko dealer and picked up the first thing that caught my eye, (impulse buys can either be the best thing in the world or the worst mistake of your life, I won't spoil the review with what I got out of this one). I wanted to stray away from Quartz (not that I'm a "sole" snob, but because I have enough Quartz at the moment), I wanted an automatic in the price range of $300-$350 and boy were my options limited in a brick and mortar store in my area.

My eyes caught the textured blue sunburst dial of the SRPA29 and another model that I can't remember. I asked to see both. When the lady gave them to me I immediately looked to see what movement. While I liked the aesthetics of both, the deciding factor was in the movement.

The black dial model had a Malaysian 7s26, while the SRPA29 had a Japanese 4r35, so the choice was obvious, plus it was under my anticipated price range! Score! At $250, I snagged it. I had it sized to my small, pale, white boy wrist and immediately fell in love.

That dial....

The case is so solid and has an oyster style to it but not even close to being a Homage. It has a style of its own.

It's 42mm, and has a 20mm lug width, SS sword hands, and a long elegant second hand that has a hint of SARB.

The bracelet was the only let down. When I got it I felt like Seiko had taken a high end watch and put a Seiko 5 bracelet on it. Despite being a solid link bracelet (but not solid end link) it felt cheesy, and squeaky. I decided it wouldn't hurt to oil all the pivot points, so I went and grabbed a dropper and put a drop of oil in all pivot points. Then I cleaned the watch with a paper towel and water. The difference was insane, no more rattles, no more squeaks. It made the bracelet FEEL like it should. The clasp is a bit low grade. It hey, at $250 you can't have it all.

At the price that was payed, you couldn't get much better than this solid, proven, all in-house, historical branded, and humble timepiece. I may be a Seiko fanboy, but they outdid themselves on this piece.

8.5 out of 10 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stratocasters Rock!

Re: My review of the Seiko SRPA29

When Seiko skimps, most of the time it's on the bracelet, all of the time

Really nice looking watch though, would be a good match for a nice leather strap if that's your thing. Engraved caseback instead of screened crystal is good to see as well. I really like it
    stratct and Sevenmack like this.

That's a nice looking watch, thanks for posting a good review. And good idea oiling the bracelet!

stratct likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  14996447_10154776450701385_1571971333_n.jpg
Views: 5323
Size:  62.5 KB Got this one for $180 and it's amazing. Put it on a nice blue strap and it's been on my wrist ever since
    Domo, huwp, Xeticus and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stratct View Post
    I recently had the opportunity to head up to Boston to meet up with some fellow WUS'rs. Great people, really, my expectations were set low as I was expecting a bit of snobbery, but instead I got a wealth of knowledge and I had a blast doing it (though driving through Boston during rush hour in a 5 speed manual was quite unsatisfactory). I got a big boost on watch testosterone and when I got back to CT I stopped at my local Seiko dealer and picked up the first thing that caught my eye, (impulse buys can either be the best thing in the world or the worst mistake of your life, I won't spoil the review with what I got out of this one). I wanted to stray away from Quartz (not that I'm a "sole" snob, but because I have enough Quartz at the moment), I wanted an automatic in the price range of $300-$350 and boy were my options limited in a brick and mortar store in my area.

My eyes caught the textured blue sunburst dial of the SRPA29 and another model that I can't remember. I asked to see both. When the lady gave them to me I immediately looked to see what movement. While I liked the aesthetics of both, the deciding factor was in the movement.

The black dial model had a Malaysian 7s26, while the SRPA29 had a Japanese 4r35, so the choice was obvious, plus it was under my anticipated price range! Score! At $250, I snagged it. I had it sized to my small, pale, white boy wrist and immediately fell in love.

That dial....

The case is so solid and has an oyster style to it but not even close to being a Homage. It has a style of its own.

It's 42mm, and has a 20mm lug width, SS sword hands, and a long elegant second hand that has a hint of SARB.

The bracelet was the only let down. When I got it I felt like Seiko had taken a high end watch and put a Seiko 5 bracelet on it. Despite being a solid link bracelet (but not solid end link) it felt cheesy, and squeaky. I decided it wouldn't hurt to oil all the pivot points, so I went and grabbed a dropper and put a drop of oil in all pivot points. Then I cleaned the watch with a paper towel and water. The difference was insane, no more rattles, no more squeaks. It made the bracelet FEEL like it should. The clasp is a bit low grade. It hey, at $250 you can't have it all.

At the price that was payed, you couldn't get much better than this solid, proven, all in-house, historical branded, and humble timepiece. I may be a Seiko fanboy, but they outdid themselves on this piece.

8.5 out of 10 for me.

Just now seeing this review. If I had seen it before I bought my SRP701 it probably would have made my decision even easier! Great idea about the oiling. I may have to do that myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverBob View Post
    Name:  14996447_10154776450701385_1571971333_n.jpg
Views: 5323
Size:  62.5 KB Got this one for $180 and it's amazing. Put it on a nice blue strap and it's been on my wrist ever since
    I agree Diver Bob! Love this watch and love finding others who feel the same as I do about it!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I just traded it for a bulova Accutron II Moonview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Stratocasters Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by stratct View Post
    I just traded it for a bulova Accutron II Moonview

Sorry you're leaving the "club" but congrats on the Bulova!

stratct likes this.

I love it but the Orient I just got put it to shame. Don't get me wrong it's a great watch! But the Orient Ranger had the specs. Sapphire crystal, solid end link bracelet, better fit and finish, way better bracelet. And it was in the same price range, I got my eye on a SARB033 though

Stratocasters Rock!

No shame in the Orient! They do look nice and I have always been impressed with what they offer. How does the movement compare to the 4R35?

I also have a SARB033. It's a beautiful watch and I love looking at it every time I wear it.

Last edited by brownkp; November 12th, 2016 at 03:20.

Great review! I had my eye on this one for a while now.
    stratct likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information