My Thoughts Hamilton Kahki Field Auto 42mm (H70515137/H705450) & 2 Questions on the Stock Bracelet
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aliasfox
  • 1 Post By aliasfox

Thread: My Thoughts Hamilton Kahki Field Auto 42mm (H70515137/H705450) & 2 Questions on the Stock Bracelet

Question My Thoughts Hamilton Kahki Field Auto 42mm (H70515137/H705450) & 2 Questions on the Stock Bracelet

I purchased this watch my my brother's 21st, and at the moment I'm of a mixed opinion about the watch so far. Now I'll talk about the bad things about the watch a little more but that isn't proportional to the quality of the watch.

Firstly the good. The watch looks pretty amazing in the flesh, and although it is a pretty basic looking watch, it looks stunning. There is detail on the dial (I think there are 3 rings, the middle of which is ever so slightly 'stepped' just a tad lower than the other two) that is often not captured in photos of the watch, and the glass caseback is mesmerising. This brings me to the accuracy of the watch. I'm not actually sure of it at the moment, only had it for ~3 hours and I've been playing around, as well as the fact that it is obviously still in the break-in period (and will be for another 2-6 months I think?). The hand winding is very nice, quite smooth (don't have much to compare it to), the ticking it makes (when you press it to your ear) is quite soothing to listen to, sounds somewhat 'alive'. The sweeping as with all mechanicals looks brilliant and just sitting here typing this I've been distracted into a trance of watching the seconds hand move around.

Now for the bad. This model is the bracelet version, and the stock bracelet is pretty terrible. This is due to one thing, the micro adjustments (the extra holes on the clasp of most bracelets). There are only two holes, one to put the springpin [what are those actually called] into, and another used for micro-adjusting which is only 1.19mm away. This is a problem as the links are quite large (larger than the stock jubilee [6.45mm] for the Seiko skx007 is that helps anyone), 8.65mm my digital calipers are telling me. Now I think you can see where this is going. My brother's wrist (probably just larger than 7") fits somewhere in the middle of being too loose (it moves around lots, and can easily go around the wrist itself) and too tight, the clasp can only be closed if it slightly stretches/pulls/bunches the skin. Essentially the bracelet is unwearable for him. Are there any options available to him here? Like if I took it to a jeweller would they be able to add some more holes for micro adjustment? I'm pretty disappointed with this to be honest. The watch doesn't look very good on the stock brown leather (with the white stitching) I think so I was hoping that the bracelet would be decent.

The next issue I've had is changing the bracelet. I have a terrible <$5 springbar from Hong Kong and I haven't for the life of me been able to change the bracelet as it doesn't seem able to be compressed enough (I'm certain it could be but we'll have to see), the end links just don't seem to leave enough room to compress the springbar enough that it will pop out. I've tried this for probably half an hour, and I've also used a 'scribe' which is a lot finer/sharper than my springbar but to no avail.

Overall this is a great watch, but I'd avoid the bracelet version if you aren't able to make sure it fits (try it on). Apart from that, it seems to be an outstanding and versatile watch.

Now my questions:

-What can I do about the micro-adjustments, as I said it is completely unwearable at the moment and I'd like him to be able to wear it? Will a watchmaker or a similar place drill some new holes?

-What am I missing about removing the springbars? Did anybody else find the end link stop it from compressing the springbar? This is frustrating.

I'll hopefully post some pictures tomorrow (when there's more light and if I manage to remove the current bracelet), and maybe give an update on how accurately it is running (at the moment it is too early to tell).

Thanks!

Edit:

The issue with removing the bracelet is now that I don't know what way to push it. Do I need to compress both sides of the spring bar, or can I just compress one side and then push the end link downwards?

Edit: Got them both out now :)

Thanks, appreciate it.
    Last edited by Funkyman; October 9th, 2012 at 11:52.

Re: My Thoughts Hamilton Kahki Field Auto 42mm (H70515137/H705450) & 2 Questions on the Stock Bracel

I have the 38mm, and I can echo your sentiments.

First, with regards to removing the bracelet. I have a $3 springbar tool from that internet rainforest company, and it works fine on my watch. The trick though, is that to get it to latch onto the springbar, you have to push down (towards the crystal when the watch is facing down), but once the springbar is out of the hole, you have to pull *up* (towards the back of the case) to get the endlink to come out of it's setting. There are tabs on the back of the endlink that are there to prevent it from flopping around, but they're also good at being annoying when you want to swap the bracelet.

As for microsizing... right now, my watch is set perfectly for my winter, non-humid wrist. Come summer, this thing feels tight, restricting, and not at all comfortable. My solution was to swap it out for a strap in summer and only wear the bracelet in winter. I have a NATO and a cheap leather Speidel ($8!) to switch around with. Perhaps you could do it backwards? Have the bracelet in the summer where your brother's wrist might go up by 1/8-1/4", and have him get a Hirsch or even a nice Cordovan for the winter months?

And yes, the dial is fantastic. The different layers/beveling reflect light so much better in person than in pictures.
    Funkyman likes this.

Re: My Thoughts Hamilton Kahki Field Auto 42mm (H70515137/H705450) & 2 Questions on the Stock Bracel

I think they have begun to add more holes to the clasp on newer models. On my new khaki pilot auto chrono, the clasp appears to be the same but there are 3 holes. I've fit my bracelet so that it is in the middle hole - I can adjust either way if need be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aliasfox View Post
    I have the 38mm, and I can echo your sentiments.

First, with regards to removing the bracelet. I have a $3 springbar tool from that internet rainforest company, and it works fine on my watch. The trick though, is that to get it to latch onto the springbar, you have to push down (towards the crystal when the watch is facing down), but once the springbar is out of the hole, you have to pull *up* (towards the back of the case) to get the endlink to come out of it's setting. There are tabs on the back of the endlink that are there to prevent it from flopping around, but they're also good at being annoying when you want to swap the bracelet.
    Eventually got it off for what felt like an eternity. I don't have any words to assist anyone needing help getting it off in the future, except possibly patience. Thanks very much, I'll try your method for the dreaded next time I need to change it over.

As for microsizing... right now, my watch is set perfectly for my winter, non-humid wrist. Come summer, this thing feels tight, restricting, and not at all comfortable. My solution was to swap it out for a strap in summer and only wear the bracelet in winter. I have a NATO and a cheap leather Speidel ($8!) to switch around with. Perhaps you could do it backwards? Have the bracelet in the summer where your brother's wrist might go up by 1/8-1/4", and have him get a Hirsch or even a nice Cordovan for the winter months?
    I'll try to find the best point which will fit, it's already quite warm here (no doubt it'll get warmer) so maybe it'll fit in about a month or so. Great idea, I'm going to order some NATOs soon (I'll ask him what he likes), currently he's wearing my grey bond NATO. I'll definitely look into some straps, starting with the Speidel, possibly a Christmas pressie can be a Hirsch or a Cordovan

And yes, the dial is fantastic. The different layers/beveling reflect light so much better in person than in pictures.
    I'll try to put some pictures up tomorrow, I'm currently having a hard time getting the watch off him

Still not exactly sure of the accuracy, but it seems very reasonable (I've not been wearing it), certainly within the expected range.

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I think they have begun to add more holes to the clasp on newer models. On my new khaki pilot auto chrono, the clasp appears to be the same but there are 3 holes. I've fit my bracelet so that it is in the middle hole - I can adjust either way if need be.
    Hopefully they implement it across the board, honestly it's a magnificent watch aside from that issue (and to a lesser extent the difficulty of removing the bracelet, but I'd put that down to my [lack of] experience/tools more than anything).

Glad to hear your brother likes the watch! Khakis have very standard lug sizes (mine's 20mm, the 42mm model might have 22mm lugs), so any stop in a random watch/jewelry store should yield decent results for straps <$20 (hopefully straps in Australia aren't much more than in the US!). And yes, the bracelet is a b**** to remove the first time, but after you get the hang of it, it's not so bad - and it's much easier with NATOs and other straps, as well. I found myself swapping straps every week or two in the summer just to have different looks. Doesn't hurt that a new strap is significantly less expensive than a new watch!

Didn't notice you're in Australia - maybe set the bracelet loose for now, and wait until March or so to consider resizing? Not sure what your local climate is, but here in NYC about 20-25C daily high is my threshold for where I can consider wearing my (slightly snug) bracelet.
    Funkyman likes this.

Thread Information