My three bad hobbies

Thread: My three bad hobbies

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My three bad hobbies

Hello all, So the other day my wife confronted me with a problem.She said that i was putting us in the poor house, let me explain. I have three hobbies that I love, #1 Remote control cars and Helli's, #2 I love watches and #3 I really love to collect handguns and semi auto rifles. so as you can see i really couldn't pick 3 more expensive hobbies. I think the biggest problem is when I see a gun or watch within reason I will buy on the spot then later think about what I have done. So does any one else have my problem?

Re: My three bad hobbies

Same disease, different symptoms:
    1- watches
    2- telescopes
    3- synthesizers
    4- bicycles

PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

i can think of more expensive hobbies though.... 1) Houses, 2) Art, 3) Cars would probably be the most financially costly.

I just collect watches really... and money.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of the advantages of participating in WUS is that you get to see lots of nice watches up close and you can enjoy looking at them while somebody else is paying. Also you can take lots of time to decide what (if anything) your next watch purchase will be.
    Watch collecting doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. I've been at it for over 50 years and I doubt that I've ever spent more than $300 for anything.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; March 25th, 2010 at 02:05.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Last week my wife said unto me, " You should sell some of your watches...you never wear them anyway." Now, she doesn't realize that a watch from a watch collection is not meant to be worn, only adored. So, as a sign of my cooperation, out of the 50 or sixty watches I own I've managed to find two with which I would be willing to part. But my indiosyncracies aside,the most expensive hobby that I know of, is the one which Tiger chose.

Quote Originally Posted by kcdano View Post
    Hello all, So the other day my wife confronted me with a problem.She said that i was putting us in the poor house, let me explain. I have three hobbies that I love, #1 Remote control cars and Helli's, #2 I love watches and #3 I really love to collect handguns and semi auto rifles. so as you can see i really couldn't pick 3 more expensive hobbies. I think the biggest problem is when I see a gun or watch within reason I will buy on the spot then later think about what I have done. So does any one else have my problem?
    Well, a lot of us here enjoy collecting watches. But I think you are asking whether any of us are spending more money on our hobbies than we should. I tend to pass on a lot more watches than I buy, and when I buy it is with the intention of keeping permanently. So my cpllection stays small. Some guys buy and sell a lot, so the cash flow absorbs some of the pain.

If your wife is concened about your spending habits it is time for a serious discussion with her and possibly a financial counselor. It's not time to find someone else with a spending problem to validate what you do.

Retirement investing, college tuition, and college trust funds eat up alot of discretionary income here. My collection is small and not extravagant by wus standards. I rely on this forum for vicarious thrills and the sales forum scares the bejeezus out of my wife. In the end I have bigger and more important things to consider over watch collecting, is that blasphemy?

Quote Originally Posted by 09.ducati View Post
    Retirement investing, college tuition, and college trust funds eat up alot of discretionary income here. My collection is small and not extravagant by wus standards. I rely on this forum for vicarious thrills and the sales forum scares the bejeezus out of my wife. In the end I have bigger and more important things to consider over watch collecting, is that blasphemy?
    No. That's what I call putting things into perspective.

I am super lucky to have a very reasonable partner that does not scoff when I want to add to my collections. To make things even nicer, my partner does not collect anything. Understands it but not into it. I collect watches, vintage fedoras and by default, saxophone mouthpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by 09.ducati View Post
    and the sales forum scares the bejeezus out of my wife
    One of the best quotes I have seen lately...

On a more serious note: This can turn into a very expensive hobby. Make sure your priorities are straight before expensive watches. For example, we are saving for a wedding and then a house right now. So I have traded a few watches and "Downsized" rather than spending more. After I have those priorities squared away, sometimes I say "You only live once right?"
    Last edited by Aquaracer1; March 25th, 2010 at 03:46.

It seems all my hobbies are the expensive ones...LOL Cars, Golf, and Watches to name a few, but as funds aren't what I'd like them to be, I usually end up buying one mans' junk and fixing it , turning it into my treasure

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information