Mysterious automatic "Samuels" watch

Thread: Mysterious automatic "Samuels" watch

Confused Mysterious automatic "Samuels" watch

Re: H Samuel, The Empire's largest jeweller

Apologize for the challenged photos; I just snapped a couple with my point-and-shoot after acquiring it (for 20 bucks) at an estate sale. Being a Yank, I'd never heard the name, "Samuels". I assume this came from H. Samuel, a much-beloved store based exclusively in the U.K. Sent an inquiry to their customer service & received a non-reply suggesting I "visit" their closest store (I live near Seattle!) for a valuation...
    Just replied that I'm merely interested in learning the watch's history, & will wait to see what trickles down...

...But in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone on this site knows anything about its history? Bottom of the face says "Swiss Movement" but it's possible that this company added the face to an imported movement. I haven't opened the back yet to search for more clues. One guess is that the watch was only meant to be worn in-house by employees?
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Alan

Re: Mysterious automatic "Samuels" watch

Yes, the entire watch was probably made for Samuels Jewelers by a Swiss watch company in the late 1960's to mid 1970's. I would expect to find a 17 jewel automatic winding movement with non-quickset date from AS, FHF or comparable. Case looks to be gold plated with a stainless steel back. Dial seems to show the subtle radial brushing which indicates it is original and not a redial. Looks good. You got a good deal if it runs. If you are going to wear it much you may want to have the movement serviced. Polishing the scratched crystal will improve it's appearance a lot.

Can't tell you nuffink about the watch but in the mid 70's Samuels were selling their own brand of watches called the Everite.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the quick reply! I gave it a bit of a shake and it started right up, have worn it off & on the last couple of days since I got it and it's quite fast (gains a couple of minutes per day), but this doesn't bother me enough to have it adjusted: I'm retired! (By the way - I'm so cheap, plus have too many timepieces in my drawer - they also had a basic Omega I could have had for $125 but I passed on it because I already have a better example marked "Seamaster.") I will, of course, see to having the crystal polished. Will post any info I might receive from H. Samuel.

The deceased was relatively upscale & confined to a wheelchair, and attending the estate sale was a process of increased realization that we had known Ian, but lost touch several years ago! Going through his artwork & personal effects was not in the least spooky, though; we'd once invited him over after borrowing a ramp for the front steps, but he'd had to cancel.
    Bringing home some of Ian's artwork and a Minox camera (hah! had he once been a spy?) was sort of like inviting him back into our home.
    Plus, I spotted an Ermenegilo Zegna jacket in a closet and talked a shopper ("This jacket is you!") into paying 5 bucks for it. Was a perfect fit & Ian would've been pleased...

Alan

Love those estate sales...every once in a while one hits it big!

Confused Mystery deepens with automatic "Samuels" watch...

Have not received a reply from H. Samuels yet ... but I no longer believe this watch came from them!
    Removed the back yesterday and was pleased to see what appears to my eyes (given my limited experience with watch-innards) a pretty fine movement.
    The mystery, however, deepens for me with the inscription of "ALBERT" and the addition of "S" (rather than "H") to "SAMUELS" on the back!
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Mystery deepens with automatic "Samuels" watch...

About Us - by Samuels Jewelers
    https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/coll...s/details/9434

A couple of tantalizing tidbits that imply Samuels has a long history that includes watches made for their house brand.

Hah! Bummer in a way that we're coming up on a symposium in Pasadena, and recently decided not to drive down (from Washington State); instead will fly down.
    Would have been fun to polish the crystal & march into the store flashing one of their old watches. Any guesses on the manufacture and quality of movement?

I checked out Samuel's up-market watches; looks like their best brand is the Rotary/Dreyfuss.
    Fantasized for a nanosecond being offered a 2 thousand dollar Dreyfuss for mine & then said: Naaah...
    Much prefer sporting around this watch for its rarity and Ian's implicit history.

Look carefully under the balance wheel and rotor for any identifying marks or numbers.

Smile Re: Mystery deepens with automatic "Samuels" watch...

Well the crystal. as you can see, cleaned up nicely. I opened the back again and turned the rotor, but no luck finding any markings.
    Am unwilling (read: “chicken”) to remove any parts, and am not curious enough to have an expert examine the workings.
    However, now that the “Samuels” is presentable, I’m going to send an inquiry plus a picture to the company in S.F.
    Since they appear quite proud of their heritage, we’re hoping that this “mystery” is about to be be solved.
    Will keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information