Mystery Gallet
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Michael1025
  • 1 Post By jayfl64
  • 1 Post By jayfl64

Thread: Mystery Gallet

Mystery Gallet

Well, good watch fortunes have shone upon me again :)

I wrote a few months back of my wife's grandmother's gift to me of her father's 1931 Hamilton (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/vint...e-1044079.html). I tracked down Dan through the forum and he did a beautiful restoration on the watch.

Well, when up in Chicago is last weekend, my wife showed her grandmother the watch in all its restored splendor. She was so impressed that she gave me another one of her father's watches.

A beautiful Gallet chronograph.

First off, I was blown away by the smoothness of the pushers. I've got a Speedmaster and the pushers on this watch are much, much smoother. It's also still running, though it seems to be a bit fast and the hour counter of the chronograph function doesn't seem to be working (the minute register and running seconds work fine). The watch is small, maybe around 36mm, but has a great, modern thickness to it. The blued hands are gorgeous. I put it on a leather NATO strap and I think it creates a great wrist presence.

I'm not that familiar with the brand, but hodinkee actually recommended them as a nice vintage chronograph under $1,000 in an article I came across. Seem to be a few kicking around on the web but not a ton of readily available info.

Now...the work begins. First off, I can't seem to identify exactly which model this is. Seems like it's a MultiChron, but it doesn't match up to any of their listed models. Close, but not quite.

Gallet Chronograph Watch at Gallet Chronograph World

Any advice on where to get service? It definitely needs one. Also...to redial, or no? Dial is pretty worn, with only a hint of the old red numbers left. Would be great to see them pop again.

Well...off to research :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    James A and Tucayjordan like this.

Re: Mystery Gallet

You are very lucky. That is a beautiful timepiece and it appears your wife's grandfather knew something about watches.

Gallet is a very fine company. More info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallet_%26_Co.

And I suspect it has an Excelsior Park Cal. 40 movement but that is just a guess until you get the back off.

I think it has aged well along with its original owner, your wife's grandfather and is full of character. Because of that I would leave the dial as is and because of its quality, after a service you will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

Regards,

I do like Gallet...... and that's looking pretty good...
    I would search for a good guy for that one, ask Archer.
    Good luck.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello. Congratulations for your beautiful Gallet!
    In my opinion, it probably assembles a Valjoux 72.
    The shape of the sweep second hand and the shape of the lugs does not match with other examples of Gallet with Excelsior Park 40 caliber.
    But if you discover an "H" on the other side of one lug, then I would be wrong and it assembles an Excélsior Park 40.
    Another possibility could be a Valjoux 71, but I have only seen one example of Gallet with Valjoux 71, so I think that more than likely it assembles a Valjoux 72.
    Although in the Gallet web site there is not yet a picture and they do not mention the Gallet Multichron "12" with Valjoux 72 (or V 71, or EP 40) with square push buttons (non water resistant cases), I guess that your Gallet should be called Multicron "12", because it incorporates the 12 hours recorder hand.
    It is a rare vintage Gallet chronograph (latest 1930´s or very early 1940´s). And it is a beauty.
    In my humble opinion, I would not touch the original dial.
    Kind regards.
    P.S.(1) Once you had opened the caseback, would you be so kind to inform us (Gallet enthusiasts) about the case serial number (roughly)? Is it near 32000?
    P.S.(2) About the service, there is a service department in the official Gallet watch company... Excellent work but not cheap... You can find some extra information in the Gallet Flight Officer Facebook page...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Tucayjordan; August 30th, 2014 at 19:53.

Name:  gallet1.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  78.8 KBName:  gallet2.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  69.0 KBName:  gallet3.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  97.5 KBHi all, I'm new to the site as I was doing a bit of research on the Gallet I just bought locally (yes it was marked $10 but I was at an estate sale a day early so I offered $100 because I couldn't make the sale and it would have been gone in a minute). Seems it's a Valjoux 71 but I can't tell. There's a personalized engraving on the back from 1941. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jay
    Tucayjordan likes this.

Damn!! You lucky dog!!
    Congratulations.......
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Yes, congratulations!!

100 USD! You bought a real bargain!

Your Gallet with Valjoux 71 is the second one that I have seen. The first one was in the Gallet Flight Officer Facebook page.

It´s a VERY rare Gallet.

The dial looks in a very good original condition. I´m not sure about the hour, minute and sweep seconds hands.

The engraved date of 1941 is very helpful to solve the puzzle of dating vintage Gallet chronographs.

Is it the case serial number close to 820.000?

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Tucayjordan; September 19th, 2014 at 00:33.

Thanks guys! I've had a half a dozen Gallets before; Flying Officers, V72's but never one like this. I had to have my friend check his Best Fit catalog to be sure. Reference # on the back is correct. I can't comment about the hands, they look correct but if there's limited production, how can anyone be sure? This piece even had the possibly original band. I'm going to get it serviced and leave it as is for the time being. I bought this with a well worn Hamilton 940 pocket watch for which I paid the $20 full price, only seemed fair.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tucayjordan likes this.

Thread Information