Mystery watch of the day - X-200 flying saucer

Thread: Mystery watch of the day - X-200 flying saucer

Mystery watch of the day - X-200 flying saucer

Are you ready for something completely different? I did a load of searches but found out nothing new so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the PF...

Here's what I know: It's 45mm across, a one piece case of resin (Degalan, Grilamid, Noryl or the like), takes a 20mm band, movement top loads but I can't get the crystal off (don't want to break it), thing ticks like a time bomb so I'm guessing a 1 jewel (Cattin maybe?). No name or info on the dial, back reads: MADE IN FRANCE - WATERRESISTANT -ANTIMAGNETIC and then inside of that is X-200 and some sort of shark or sailfish or something.

So...does anybody know who manufactured this watch, or when, or for how much it sold originally? Any details appreciated as well as humorous and offbeat asides.

Cheers, Greg

Re: Mystery watch of the day - X-200 flying saucer

I vote for Lip. Watchismo has one very similar up for sale right now called a LIP 1974 Michel Boyer "Les Candides" watch. Watchismo states that, "Boyer created 18 plastic watches and two metal cased watches in the most beautiful colors, together with two other watches for LIP." Whenever you have some funky watch to identify, Watchismo is the place to be.

-T

So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Yeah, Watchismo had one exactly like mine but with no info about it. That was before he changed the gallery of vintage stuff around. And I spotted one in red elsewhere but again, no info. Would Lip make a watch and not put their name on the dial?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by casiophile View Post
    Yeah, Watchismo had one exactly like mine but with no info about it. That was before he changed the gallery of vintage stuff around. And I spotted one in red elsewhere but again, no info. Would Lip make a watch and not put their name on the dial?
    They DID put their name on the watch. "Made in France" What more do you need to say? hahaha

Seriously, there are not many choices to be made. Yema never made watches like that and I think Lip and Yema were the only French concerns that played in the lower end of the market. Silberstein had a line of lower end quartz watches but they were very distinctive and always had the crown at 4 o'clock. Cupillard Rieme made mechanicals from what I've seen. I know there were a couple of higher end companies; maybe someone else might know of another brand at the low end.

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

There's actually been quite a few brands at the lower end of the French market - Mortima, Maty, Difor, Kelton (Timex), Diane, Kody - just to name a few. They did some good dive watches too, especially the Yema, ZRC and Aquastar. This seems like a low end, throwaway splash around watch, probably from the 70's (after the early 70's at least, due to the WaterResistant on the back). I'm kinda surprised nobody's seen it before...

These were French made brands? Never heard of most of them. I thought most of the market was consolidated in the Matra Group in the 70s. There were a whole slew of French makers that were done in by quartz watches. There were only a handful of survivors that I know about. I guess it would help my understanding if I could read French!

-T

Thread Information