the Myth of the GADA watch - Page 7
Like Tree237Likes

Thread: the Myth of the GADA watch

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: the Myth of the GADA watch

From the OP's idea of a GADA watch, I say an Apple watch is most suitable as one. As a dress watch, a sports watch, a leisure watch etc.
    BarracksSi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by corvyday View Post
    Here's my take on what is a GADA watch.

I propose that GADA has a different scale depending on your lifestyle. The debates come in when people try to fit two different lifestyles as they argue about what one watch can and cannot do.

If you take a look at the images I've come up with a scale/range of lifeatyle situations from rugged field to formal. Every person will have their unique range of what he or she averagely goes through. Their GADA watch needs to fall within that range.

I've tried to put 3 of my most used in my collection (Oris Diver 65, Longines Master Collection, Mühle-Glashütte Terrasport II) on the scale. I've always tried to find watches that fit a wide variety of circumstances, however there will be some differences. For example I wouldn't want to wear the Longines to hike, or the Mühle for a dress up event. Other than that they function very well in most times.

So where does your lifestyle and GADA watch fall into the scale?

Feel free to use the scale and share!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    I like this chart. Basically, I think a GADA watch needs to cover FIELD all the way to DRESS UP and be a serious competitor for the lower-end of FORMAL.
    As someone else mentioned, that is basically a dressy sport watch that is the business when it comes to water resistance and ideally, it doesn't have a bezel.
    One issue I see is that people want the watches they already own to be GADA watches (to congratulate themselves on making a good choice, I guess) or want to tell everyone else that it is a GADA watch to them. But this does not a GADA make. Objectively, the watch community can identify the most obvious of GADAs in:

* Rolex Explorer I
    * Omega Aqua Terra
    * Tudor Black Bay Heritage 36 or 41

^ and to be honest, I'm having a hard time finding any others off the top of my head.
    Rather than being a brand new category that is broad and another excuse to buy more watches, I actually see it as a restrictive category that would practically be supporting people to buy less watches.
    Simon, RossD88 and Bøygen like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

I have only become aware of the term in the past year or so
    I think as others have said, if you only have 1 watch like most folk, its a GADA
    If I was to reduce my collection to one that met the brief it would be between these:
    look good dressed up or down - WR, shockproof, sapphire etc etc
    Name:  IMG_6535.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  1.80 MB
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

nice post - just read it after posting my offering which was my Sub or Tudor GMT

I think your suggestion of the Explorer 1 is a great choice of a one n only do all watch

Curious why you say 'ideally it doesnt have a bezel'? Surely that's a useful function in a GADA?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Bezel is good for the lower end of the scale because it is a tool function. But bezels don't fly when you hit business, dress up and formal - there's just too much "tool DNA" in it for that and a GADA isn't supposed to look like a tool watch. Submariners can get away with more simply because they've become icons, so I think they can reach higher on the scale (but not up to the top of formal).
    That's one of the reasons why Explorers and Aqua Terras are unquestioned GADAs - they don't have the bezel and look refined enough for those upper occasions while being essentially sport watches.
    But a GADA isn't something that's essential for a watch collector. If you have a Rolex Submariner and say, a Cartier Tank or a PP Calatrava, you're covered for everything on the scale.
    Last edited by Earthjade; 1 Week Ago at 10:44.
    Simon and BarracksSi like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

lvt

When I heard the GADA word, I usually think about some Casio or Seiko watches, especially quartz watches. Mostly because they are cheap and robust by concept (quartz is naturally immune to shock and magnetism).
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by jkpa View Post
    It depends on how you define it. If you have one watch, that's by default the one you wear to everything, but if you want to get a watch that can reasonably cover all actual and imagined situations, there are watches that are better than others in meeting those requirements.

To me, this is the ultimate GADA and nothing really comes close.

Very thin, under 40mm case, sapphire, super quick time zone change to anywhere in the world, radio controlled, solar, titanium for lightness and comfort, 100M WR.

And the icing on the cake is an actual Tough Movement, as touch as in a G-shock so go rock climbing with it too if you'd like or jackhammer the driveway without taking it off.

It's perfection.

And now I wonder why I sold mine...
    Did you get rid of it because the second hand doesn't quite hit the mark? There are lots of cool quartz watches that tick off so many more boxes than any mechanical, but I find it so hard to buy one knowing the risk of the imperfect second hand alignment. Citizen and Grand Seiko apparently have some sort of way to correct for that? Haven't seen one in person, though.

As for "GADA," it's really just another recently coined term for people to rationalize their purchases, isn't it? I know it's been pointed out how odd it is for people who are watch collectors to discuss a topic with the underlying premise that we have only one watch. I have a mid-sized 8500 Aqua Terra in the box that I bought mostly because I convinced myself it's just about never inappropriate but I wear a dive watch more often than not because I like using the bezel for the crude timing of things like parking meters and cooking time. Would anyone say anything if I showed up wearing a black-dialed dive watch that isn't ostentatious? Would I care if someone held it against me that I wore a dive watch?
    current pared-down collection: Casio | IWC | JLC | ochs und junior | Omega | Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by khj94704 View Post
    Would anyone say anything if I showed up wearing a black-dialed dive watch that isn't ostentatious? Would I care if someone held it against me that I wore a dive watch?
    You'd be run out of town.
    Tar and feathers would be involved.
    AardnoldArrdvark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    You'd be run out of town.
    Tar and feathers would be involved.
    The Aqua Terra is definitely better suited for when I'm being run out of town -- the tar could gunk up the bezel on my dive watch. But if I'm not wearing my dive watch, what am I being run out of town for? Hopefully for something much more exciting than the mere act of wearing a dive watch.
    current pared-down collection: Casio | IWC | JLC | ochs und junior | Omega | Seiko

I think of the GADA concept not as a category, but more as an attribute, kind of synonymous with versatility. Athough it's true that any watch could be pressed into use in many situations, no single watch can be a good choice for every situation.
    But it's great to consider GADAism (versatility) while building a collection.

For me, the concept hits hardest when I'm preparing to travel. That's when I really want hi-GADA choices to be available.
    BarracksSi and Bøygen like this.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information