the Myth of the GADA watch
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: the Myth of the GADA watch

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

the Myth of the GADA watch

There has been much talk here about Go Anywhere Do Anything watches.
    The Truth is that almost any watch can be a GADA watch if you are really honest with yourself. GADA is more a description rather than an actual category.

In fact, the most GADA watch I have noticed so far is the Apple Watch. A dive watch can be used in all but the most formal WHITE TIE events, a "dress watch" of today is not much different from a Wermacht field watch or an early era Pilot's watch (the Santos).
    My brother who is an avid watch fan wore a TAG Heuer Diver to his own wedding.

What we often call a GADA here is in fact a Sport Watch. No idea where that name came from. People who do sports usually wear a GShock.

Why even bother getting a GADA? Just get what you want and then declare that it is a GADA.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: the Myth of the GADA watch

Us lot need a GADA but normal people just “run what they brung”

I have to agree. Most people have one watch which in effect makes their only watch a GADA. As the OP mentioned this is very frequently a smart watch of some sort.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think GADA is really just another category to make the watch box more diverse - under the disguise that this one could really also serve as the only watch for all occasions, if all hell breaks loose.

Problem is they can be a bit bland, so yes, you are right, OP, any watch can be a GADA. It depends on you. I wore an MK40 for my wedding which isn‘t even remotely dressy and I didn‘t care at all. And now my only watch is a diver, and as a one-watch person I am probably joined by 98.7% of the watch-wearing population (who don‘t even know what the hell a GADA is and buy whatever they like).

Agree. Its really a concept for watch enthusiast and EDC crowd, relative to the wearer's life style. GADA for an investment banker might mean something very different than GADA for a carpenter for example.

I like the idea, helps me keep my watch inventory in check. As much as I love mechanical watches, my intent is to be a user, not collector.

It depends on how you define it. If you have one watch, that's by default the one you wear to everything, but if you want to get a watch that can reasonably cover all actual and imagined situations, there are watches that are better than others in meeting those requirements.

To me, this is the ultimate GADA and nothing really comes close.

Very thin, under 40mm case, sapphire, super quick time zone change to anywhere in the world, radio controlled, solar, titanium for lightness and comfort, 100M WR.

And the icing on the cake is an actual Tough Movement, as touch as in a G-shock so go rock climbing with it too if you'd like or jackhammer the driveway without taking it off.

It's perfection.

And now I wonder why I sold mine...

I interpret most of the GADA conversation as a sort of shorthand that describes the degree of versatility. It is hard to define in absolute terms, and almost always contextual. As an example, I have a black-dial stainless steel 40mm Seiko, and I also have a full-metal G-Shock square. The Seiko is "more GADA" than the G, even though the G-Shock is more waterproof, more accurate, etc. The mainstream, good-looking and understated Seiko fits more of the situations I find myself in day-to-day; however, it could be argued that NEITHER of these is "true GADA". It is a useful concept for communicating with other enthusiasts... normal people won't know what it means or care.
    Lowrota, mleok, bam49 and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jkpa View Post
    It depends on how you define it. If you have one watch, that's by default the one you wear to everything, but if you want to get a watch that can reasonably cover all actual and imagined situations, there are watches that are better than others in meeting those requirements.

To me, this is the ultimate GADA and nothing really comes close.

Very thin, under 40mm case, sapphire, super quick time zone change to anywhere in the world, radio controlled, solar, titanium for lightness and comfort, 100M WR.

And the icing on the cake is an actual Tough Movement, as touch as in a G-shock so go rock climbing with it too if you'd like or jackhammer the driveway without taking it off.

It's perfection.

And now I wonder why I sold mine...
    i'm partially eyeing the T200 version (steel) with interchangeable straps.
    jkpa likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

I agree with the sentiment. Any watch can be a "GADA", but not all watches can handle "everyday" tasks the same. This is where it gets subjective, but there is a objective spectrum of "versatility" or "robustness" on which any watch can be placed.

For example these two watches are both perfectly capable of being on your wrist 24x7, although one is certainly better as an all-rounder than the other.

Name:  jacob-co-astronomia-maestro-am50040acsdb-800x650.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2020-05-21 Diver One D1-500 ND713 Blue – Scurfa Watches.png
Views: 87
Size:  940.1 KB
    Tool-watch enthusiast | Instagram: @beans_and_bezels

This is the closest I have to a GADA. It's as waterproof and accurate as my G-Shock, it looks fine with a suit, I suppose it'll work okay in more formal attire (depends on the event, I guess, but ya know... modern fashion, man), it's not too fat and it's not too thin, and it's probably my most legible, too.

What's funny is, when I acquired two more watches -- a smaller vintage dress watch and a good diver -- this one got a lot less wrist time. I like to say that it's the midsized sedan, and then it had to compete against a classic roadster and a sporty SUV. A classic roadster is more specialized, but it's also more interesting; and a sporty SUV can carry more stuff and is more comfortable for long trips with family. The midsized sedan -- aka GADA watch -- suddenly becomes a little more boring and a little less useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6L35 and scooby like this.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information