Name That Movement

Thread: Name That Movement

Question Name That Movement

So, I've bought myself a Fossil automatic, marked down to a silly-low price at a Fossil Outlet store, and want to know what kind of "heart" its got.

First, let me dispel the notion that this *might* be a Miyota: the movement in this watch runs at 28'800 bph. To the best of my knowledge, I can't think of any Miyota mechanical that beats higher than 21'600.

(Before you say, "open the case", I'll tell you "I tried": The caseback is secured with four screws so tiny I have no screwdriver to fit them)

Other particulars about this movement:

*When the crown is fully seated, it winds the watch and makes a "squishy" sound like the ETA 2842 in my Swatch automatic.
    *When the crown is pulled out one click, it sets the time.
    *Pulling the crown out further advances the date, then spring-loading returns the crown to the time-setting position. Each pull advances the date by 1.
    *The diameter of the movement must be less than 23mm, or roughly 10 1/4''', as it is housed completely inside the hub that appears to be suspended by the outer spokes of the dial.
    *Despite my assertion that this is not a Miyota, the rotor freewheels rapidly in one direction with a flick of the wrist, indicating that it's a unidirectional winding setup...like a Miyota.
    *It's keeping excellent time...just about 10 seconds of gain in over 36 hours.

I would *love* to know what kind of movement is in this thing...can somebody help me identify it?

BTW, here's the watch it's in:

Thanks all!

stuffler,mike

Re: Name That Movement

No clue, regarding the price Fossil automatics sell here in Germany I am tempted to say: Miyota. What about a movement pic ?

Well...I can't get the back off, so no movement pic. I was hoping somebody might be able to identify the movement by its behavior, i.e. the way the date sets. I bought some tiny Phillips-head screwdrivers, yet they still don't fit. Thinking more and more it's a over-designed snap-on caseback. I wish there was a Fossil store near me, then I could go by and just have them open it up for a look-see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

vandice

Sounds like a Chinese movement to me. Wind-date-time. That's one weird crown layout.

Does it hack?

Doesn't hack. I was thinking Chinese as well but the hi-beat frequency is throwing me off. There's a Fossil store just twenty minutes from where I work, so I'm going over there this morning when my shift is over and I'm going to see if they'll open it up for me to take a look inside.

I've bought alot of watch tools from Otto Frei, if you want some for the future. Also eyeglass repair kits usually work well for watches too!
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    No clue, regarding the price Fossil automatics sell here in Germany I am tempted to say: Miyota. What about a movement pic ?
    I've got a movement pic, and I've solved the mystery as well. The movement is a Citizen 6651A. I was looking on the Ranfft database under Miyota...then thought to look under "Citizen", and I was quickly upon the right information.

Link to the movement's page on the database: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Citizen_6651A

It's a rough & ready movement, certainly honest and nothing pretty about it. Getting the back off this watch, even with the right size screwdriver (which I procured at Radio Shack), was a bee-yotch. I managed to get two screws out, then the other two screws rounded off. A bit perturbed, I pried on the one side of the back where the screws were removed, and incredibly that loosened the opposite side's screws enough for me to get them out.

Pretty sure WR's gonna be a bit dodgy now. ;)

Note the Fossil QC on the rotor...nice smudge!

Apparently, this movement is no longer made with a "Citizen" brand on it, but still exists as the Miyota 6T51 according to this page:

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/...6651a.php?l=en

Thread Information