NATO strap question???
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NATO strap question???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NATO strap question???

So I am going to be getting married and what I want to do is buy all the groomsmen a watch that they would all wear to the wedding. Our main color is orange so I wanted to incorporate this into the watch. I was thinking about putting a dress watch on an orange NATO strap. We will be wearing suits instead of tuxedos and it is an outdoor wedding so it is slightly less formal. Below is an example of what I was thinking. Tell me what you think....
    I'm open to any other suggestions.

Name:  watch.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  9.9 KB
    Own
    Fortis B42 Cockpit GMT LE, Lum-Tec Cobalt M66 LE, Oris Artelier Small Second Auto, Steinhart Ocean1 OVM, Ocean7 Classic 12, Hamilton Pan Europ LE, Caravelle 666 Diver, Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor (White/Orange), Waltham Diver, Citizen Titanium, Fossil Edition Sport, Timex Original (White Dial), Hugo Boss 339053 Chronograph

Grail
    Omega Seamaster Pro 2254.50
    Panerai PAM 00036 Marina Militare
    Rolex Paul Newman
    Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec Chronograph Automatic 102336

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Re: NATO strap question???

Congrats on your upcoming wedding... As for the strap, it looks cool and as long as it makes you and your groomsmen (and your fiancee, of course) happy and fits with your day's theme, then it works and you should do it. I really like outdoor weddings.

I say this in part because there are a bunch of fashionistas around here that are likely going to tear the idea apart ; ) Just remember it's your wedding. Enjoy it.

Cheers,
    HBL
    novedl and Sam-C-NYC like this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

I think getting a watch is a great way to commemorate a special day. I quite like what you have chosen but think it is more suitable with jeans and a T shirt. That watch on black leather, however would be great. Its hard without not knowing what else you are wearing. Bottom line is- Have a great day!
    Regards Cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

NATO's comfort factor is probably the winning factor for me personally. BTW, do you happen to be a Kansas Jayhawks fan???
    "Tempus Fugit"

Current Collection:

Seiko SNKEO9K1 ----- Omega Seamaster "Geneva" ---- Seiko 6309-7290 ----- Seiko SSC015 ---- Revue Thommen Airspeed

NATOs are comfortable. Do think they would be ok with a wedding? I however am not a Jayhawks fan.
    Own
    Fortis B42 Cockpit GMT LE, Lum-Tec Cobalt M66 LE, Oris Artelier Small Second Auto, Steinhart Ocean1 OVM, Ocean7 Classic 12, Hamilton Pan Europ LE, Caravelle 666 Diver, Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor (White/Orange), Waltham Diver, Citizen Titanium, Fossil Edition Sport, Timex Original (White Dial), Hugo Boss 339053 Chronograph

Grail
    Rolex Paul Newman

Well we will be wearing light tan suits with orange vests. I on the other hand will be wearing a light tan suit with a champagne vest.

Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    I think getting a watch is a great way to commemorate a special day. I quite like what you have chosen but think it is more suitable with jeans and a T shirt. That watch on black leather, however would be great. Its hard without not knowing what else you are wearing. Bottom line is- Have a great day!
    Own

Grail
    Rolex Paul Newman

If you are wearing a champagne vest then this watch strap will clash, pretty bad. But, if it is just the groomsmen wearing it, they might pull it off. I am one who believes that some things are appropriate, fashion-wise, and others are not, but I think there are a lot of things non-traditional one can do at a wedding and still make it classy. With a tuxedo this would be tacky, but with light suits, outdoors, just maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Adubree86 View Post
    Well we will be wearing light tan suits with orange vests. I on the other hand will be wearing a light tan suit with a champagne vest.

Quote Originally Posted by Icabod14 View Post
    If you are wearing a champagne vest then this watch strap will clash, pretty bad. But, if it is just the groomsmen wearing it, they might pull it off. I am one who believes that some things are appropriate, fashion-wise, and others are not, but I think there are a lot of things non-traditional one can do at a wedding and still make it classy. With a tuxedo this would be tacky, but with light suits, outdoors, just maybe...
    Well I would be putting this strap on a white faced watch. I would like to possibly find a white faced watch with a little orange accent and then throw this strap on it. However right now I am leaning toward the white faced Timex Weekender.
    Last edited by Adubree86; September 1st, 2011 at 23:54.
    Own

Grail
    Rolex Paul Newman

First of all, congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy life! If cost isn't too much of a factor, these Hadley-Roma straps - which I think go better with a suit/wedding situation - can be found for $20 - $25 (USD):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orange.jpg 
Views:	920 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	505118

If you really wanted to spluge then give 'em the cool orange NATO as a bunus! If you were looking for advice I think most here will tell you to go with a more conservative strap, but like the others who will follow you don't know me from a hole in the ground (does that even make sense?) so do what you think is best on your day.

P.S. An orange croc pattern leather stap is kind of outlandish but may fit the bill:

Name:  unnamedCAV2U4PN.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  6.4 KB

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding...I wish you a life full of happiness and joy. My blessings to you and your future family.

Post this question to the "Watches & Attire - Rules and Counsel" sticky at the top of the forum. I am doing my best at keeping these discussions within that thread since not many people are fond of how these threads end up becoming a megaphone for those of us who are more sartorially inclined. But to sum it up...bad idea...I'm sure a lot of us would be glad to further discuss it in the aforementioned thread and give you advice. At the very least you would have other options to consider.

On such a wonderful day...it's imperative to ensure perfection in every detail.

Regardless of your final choice...I hope everything works out for you on that day.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information