Natural Rubber - Rubber - Synthetic - Silicone
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Natural Rubber - Rubber - Synthetic - Silicone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Natural Rubber - Rubber - Synthetic - Silicone

straps
    while im awaiting my OEM rubber for my Tag Aquaracer, i was wondering what are the different types.
    whats the difference between Rubber and Natural Rubber?
    what does Tag Heuer use for their Aquaracers
    (500m Rubberised bezel)? they say Rubber...is it not Natural Rubber? like Hublot for instance, which says they use 'natural rubber'.
    ive tried the Hublot rubber strap, which is very soft and has a 'good feel' to it. will my Aquaracer rubber be as good or inferior?

just wondering what other brands use: rubber, silicone, natural rubber etc
    AP RO offshore?
    Panerai?
    Breitling?
    Omega PO?
    Longines Hydro?
    etc
    Seiko 5 Sports SRPB31k1
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer 500m Calibre 16

Baume et Mercier Hampton Chrono
    Rolex Oyster Datejust S/S
    Seiko 5 SNZF29
    Alpina Extreme Avalanche - Manual
    Raymond Weil Parsifal

Re: Natural Rubber - Rubber - Synthetic - Silicone

Interesting question. I just bought a DeBeers Silicone Rubber strap for my Seiko 5 from an online seller. It is 22mm, and has the beveled edges. It arrived about 3 days ago. About $20! And, I am really impressed! Very thick, soft and comfortable! It's the first rubber strap I have ever used. I wish I had purchased one before!
    I'll bet the TAG strap you're getting will be exceptional quality, as well! :)
    - Greg

Ollech & Wajs 6497 XXL on black/brown leather
    Rado DiaStar Original Automatic on s/s
    Citizen Oxy automatic on s/s + leather
    Seiko 5 Sports on s/s + rubber
    Citizen Noblia Calendar
    Bulova Vibra-Alarm (15 yr. service company gift)

I have both, natural rubber (OEM) & Silicone (after-market). IMO, both are pretty comfortable. The difference, the silicone is a dust magnet.
    DM71 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I've had natural rubber Caoutchouc from Bonetto Cinturini with a vanilla scent, Sinn silicon rubber, Omega rubber straps, and pure silicon Modena straps. The first three were great, comfortable and pliable. I gave the last ones away. The Sinn and Omega straps were the best fitted with curved ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoran View Post
    I have both, natural rubber (OEM) & Silicone (after-market). IMO, both are pretty comfortable. The difference, the silicone is a dust magnet.
    That part of it drives me crazy!!!
    DM71 likes this.

Breitling's rubber straps wear very nice, comfortable to wear and it's soft.
    VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>​https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/fe...l#post50434737

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Quote Originally Posted by Enoran View Post
    Yeah!! I've noticed that a little about my silicone strap, as well. But; not too bad, I guess. Love the comfort of it! :) And, the look!
    Last edited by Greg H.; February 14th, 2013 at 16:42.
    - Greg

Ollech & Wajs 6497 XXL on black/brown leather
    Rado DiaStar Original Automatic on s/s
    Citizen Oxy automatic on s/s + leather
    Seiko 5 Sports on s/s + rubber
    Citizen Noblia Calendar
    Bulova Vibra-Alarm (15 yr. service company gift)

Banned

I would avoid Natural Rubber if I were you. You can easily get sensitized to the Latex compound. I got sensitized after 3 years wearing Latex gloves.
    Life bocomes a little bit more difficult if you get that sensitivity, as many interior paints are Latex based. Plus lots of other stuff.

The chemical composition is the difference. Real rubber comes from refining trees the rest comes from combinations of natural and other chemicals to form a cast-able or injectable substance to make a strap from. I think that the properties (could be wrong) of silicone cause it to have a static electricity enabling component which is the "dust factor".

While I have that knowledge, I don't have direct knowledge/experience with one sample from each of the strap component types: does anyone here? If so can you post some pictures?
    I have one strap that is rubber (I think like tires are made from so synthetic) that has a metal clasp. I like it a lot and have it on my "garage" watch which I wear when out in the garage tinkering with whatever...it has an old Seiko kinetic on it which I changed the capacitor out with a newer Lion cell. It works good for that environment.

I have no clue what my other "rubber" straps are as I never thought to look into it. But, as other stated, some are stiff, some playable and some in-between.

I have one that I think is silicone and something else; I have left it out to out-gas (chemicals emit odor until the become neutral) because it emits a stinky odor which I hope passes like those that come from a new car dashboard do..let's hope.

Banned

Synthetic rubber is usually Butyl based.
    Silicone rubber is a different animal alltogether, it is far more stretchy and also more sticky.

Latex is made from the Rubber tree, it is tapped from the bark. Was it not Mr Goodyear that invented vulcanised rubber?
    440saw likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information