Need Advice: AP ROO or IWC Portuguese
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need Advice: AP ROO or IWC Portuguese

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Advice: AP ROO or IWC Portuguese

Hello. I'm a longtime reader but just opened an account.

Im trying to decide between an AP ROO Safari (pre-owned) and a IWC Portuguese 8-day or 7-day. I realize that they're very different watches. I like the classic look of the IWC but the AP would add more variety to what I already have.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

My current watches are Rolex Submariner NO-date and Glashutte Original Senator Navigator.

THS

Re: Need Advice: AP ROO or IWC Portuguese

Easy. IWC, beautiful watch.

(Full disclosure, I love the RO but hate the ROO, so I'm a bit biased)
    Omega Marine Chronometer cal 1516
    Omega Speedmaster Professional cal 861 (ca 1970)
    Kemmner Flieger type A
    Citizen Nighthawk (black)
    Citizen ana-digi Promaster ca 1987 (beater)

Welcome! Not a lot of love for the ROO here I'm afraid but as always, buy what you like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd choose the IWC since the watches you currently have are sport watches. The dressier look of the IWC would make your collection more versatile
    Splinter Faction likes this.

Whichever you like most is the right answer.

AP is a more highly regarded company. It is not even close. It is one of the Holy Trinity in horology. Personally I would not get the white/cream dialed version as it is a particularly difficult watch to read in in low light on account of the black filled hands. The black dialed version is much better in this regard but it will be tough to find pre owned. I also think AP gouges on these "Limited Editions" because you will pay more for the Safari than you would for the standard ROO with bracelet, yet the bracelet costs about $3,000 and is one of the greatest ever made. Pity to pay more for less, and never experience that magnificent AP bracelet.

My thoughts on the IWC are that the automatic 7 day movement is a remarkable engineering feat. Super long PR movements are very expensive. However, the 7 Day Portuguese dial looks identical to the standard Portuguese chronograph. So, for a lot less money you get the same looks and a chronograph. They are both smashingly good looking watches. But if I pay more for one watch I'd like the watch to show it and the 7 day doesn't. The Portuguese is already a much overpriced watch because it is IWC's best seller. I'd get the chronograph unless you can really make use of that 7 Day power reserve. I am loosing passion for expensive features that I don't see or use.
    Last edited by Gary123; January 11th, 2014 at 18:57.
    Splinter Faction and Techniec like this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Welcome! Not a lot of love for the ROO here I'm afraid but as always, buy what you like.
    Do you think that's because of the marketing aspect (celebrity crap) or because of the watch itself.
    Last edited by Fish3r; January 11th, 2014 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    Whichever you like most is the right answer.

AP is a more highly regarded company. It is not even close. It is one of the Holy Trinity in horology. Personally I would not get the white/cream dialed version as it is a particularly difficult watch to read in in low light on account of the black filled hands. The black dialed version is much better in this regard but it will be tough to find pre owned. I also think AP gouges on these "Limited Editions" because you will pay more for the Safari than you would for the standard ROO with bracelet, yet the bracelet costs about $3,000 and is one of the greatest ever made. Pity to pay more and never experience that magnificent AP bracelet.

My thoughts on the IWC are that the automatic 7 day movement is a remarkable engineering feat. Super long PR movements are very expensive. However, the 7 Day Portuguese dial looks identical to the standard Portuguese chronograph. So, for a lot less money you get the same looks and a chronograph. They are both smashingly good looking watches. But if I pay more for one watch I'd like the watch to show it and the 7 day doesn't. The Portuguese is already a much overpriced watch because it is IWC's best seller. I'd get the chronograph unless you can really make use of that 7 Day power reserve. I am loosing passion for expensive features that I don't see or use.
    That's good advice. I really like the black dial as well. I realize the dial would be tough to read at night....something I didn't think of. Both watches would come out to be about the same price because the AP would be pre-owned. Investment wise, if I ever did flip the watch, I don't think I'd lose much on the ROO

Can we vote "none of the above" and suggest you go thought the "what would you buy with $10k thread"?

IMHO, the ROO is ugly and way overpriced

The IWC is GIANT, has been known to have accuracy problems, and is overpriced.

Why not a regular RO (on bracelet - a marvel of engineering) or a Nautilus?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish3r View Post
    Do you think that's because of the marketing aspect (celebrity crap) or because of the watch itself.
    Probably a bit of both I guess. And maybe also because the RO itself is so nice, and this is its bigger, brasher brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish3r View Post
    The watch has been a smash hit for many years, coveted by many, and for the type of watch in its price range it is a popular grail. Many feel it is "enough already" for this watch and are tired of it, as I and others are of Rolex. The watch also had a distinct character. It is large and bold with a little bit of "look at me" which runs contrary to the generally conservative grain of this form. The design is also dated, though timeless, its ridiculously priced (is it $8,000 more than the VC Overseas chrono?) and employes a 3rd party chronograph module. But make no mistake, the watch has been and continues to be a smashing success for AP. So much for popular tastes here.

Furthermore, Genta had stated it was his greatest design. The smashing commercial success of the watch is widely credited with pulling Audemars Piguet from the brink of bankruptcy. It is reported that Genta designed it overnight, after a late night personal call from the owner of AP who told Genta the company was going under and desperately needed a commercially successful model. Genta took took this on, and came up with the distinctive Royal Oak. AP went into production. On release, the public's response was tepid, and remained so for some time. AP hold its breath. Then it took off.
    Last edited by Gary123; January 11th, 2014 at 18:59.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information