need advice deciding which Orient
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: need advice deciding which Orient

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need advice deciding which Orient

I'm new to the forum and I'm also new to being a watch entheist. it was actually a fossil grant automatic I received as a gift that sparked my interest. I started doing research and learned about quality of movements. After researching and finding this forum I want to purchase my first "real" watch. I decided after researching that I want to start with a Orient, they seem to be a good bang for your buck watch, with a good in house movement. I'm looking to wear the watch casually but I also want to be able to dress it up on going out occasions. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Orient golden eye and the Orient Ray in blue. Both would be on a bracelet. I know leather is more appropriate for dress, but I live in Florida, so leather isn't real efficient here.. I need some advice from you watch experts, I've found a new love in watches and want to make my first step in the right direction. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by JustinB; July 26th, 2015 at 05:09.

Re: need advice deciding which Orient

The Ray is pretty far from a "dress it up" watch. If that flexibility is important to you, the Golden Eye is a better choice.

However, I personally prefer how the Ray looks, so if it were me I'd get that and just take it off when it's too sporty and chunky for my outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    The Ray is pretty far from a "dress it up" watch. If that flexibility is important to you, the Golden Eye is a better choice.

However, I personally prefer how the Ray looks, so if it were me I'd get that and just take it off when it's too sporty and chunky for my outfit.
    I was also leaning towards the golden eye because I too feel like it's more versatile of the two. However I been reading that diver watches are becoming more acceptable with dressing up, maybe the James Bond movies are to blame? I know you can't compare a beautiful omega to a orient but it's the same style and concept. Maybe I am mistaken though, like I said I'm new, that's why I'm here! :)
    Last edited by JustinB; July 26th, 2015 at 05:22.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally I would get the ray. There is something about that pseudo date window where the little shaft (yes I know) is visible that puts me off the golden eye. Other than that I like the open heart style watches.

I don't really understand the whole I need a particular watch style to match what I am wearing thing but that is probably just me.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    Personally I would get the ray. There is something about that pseudo date window where the little shaft (yes I know) is visible that puts me off the golden eye. Other than that I like the open heart style watches.

I don't really understand the whole I need a particular watch style to match what I am wearing thing but that is probably just me.
    I also like open heart automatics, that's what really drew me into the golden eye, it's just the Ray is a beautiful watch as well. I'm not super OCD about the watch having to match perfect neither but the Ray is beautiful but chunky, I just don't want it to look "gaudy" if I'm wearing more dressy clothing, and I'm just getting into watches so I need something particularly versatile until I expand my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
    I also like open heart automatics, that's what really drew me into the golden eye, it's just the Ray is a beautiful watch as well. I'm not super OCD about the watch having to match perfect neither but the Ray is beautiful but chunky, I just don't want it to look "gaudy" if I'm wearing more dressy clothing, and I'm just getting into watches so I need something particularly versatile until I expand my collection.
    Well. I can vouch for Orients being a quality watch. I don't think you can go wrong with either. :)
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Like you I am new to the forum however I have a Black Symphomy and a Beigh Flight and my wife has a Charlene, white face with striking blue hands. Additionally I have an Orange Mako on the way. We love them. They are adequately accurate, beautifully made, and have not given a minutes trouble. The black symphony is simply elegant looking and suitable for any dress-up occasion or the Golden Eye as "likestheshine" mentioned in his post.

As as a point of reference I have a Raymond Weil Freelancer Automatic that was given to me as a gift for years of service with my employer. It is certianly an elegant watch but the ETA 2824-2 movement has proven to be very persnickety. Given the same time on the winder it does not appear to have near the reserve as the Orients. Had I not received it as a gift I certainly would not have spent that much of my own money.

As far as the Ray goes a blue or black one does indeed look pretty sharp in most crowds....... It would be considered over-dressed with most of the crowd I run with.....But that's another story....LOL.

Let us know what you decide on and happy collecting.

Wuff
    Last edited by One Half Wuff; July 26th, 2015 at 23:21. Reason: Misspelling

I vote for the Ray.
    Sinn 556 I
    Steinhart OVM New
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
    Citizen Brycen Chronograph
    Traser H3 Officer Pro
    1924 Elgin Pocket Watch
    G Shock G-100 1-BV
    Timex Weekender
    Casio World Time
    Casio Diver

Get the Ray, then get the Bambino. Bam! You're done!

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

The Orient I like is the Constellation GMT (pic from net):
    Last edited by Orex; July 27th, 2015 at 06:31.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information