Need advice on an entry to mid-level watch
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Need advice on an entry to mid-level watch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need advice on an entry to mid-level watch

Hello, all. Long time lurker but I don't post often. I recently sold my Seamaster and am looking for a replacement. Not expecting the same quality, but that's to be expected, as my budget is ~$500. I've spent a few hundred hours comparing various models, and have come to a few conclusions: while I am not set on a submariner homage, I really enjoy the Mako and Sxx700. Aside from that, I have a soft spot for Tissot as a brand, and am considering the PRC200 (blue, automatic, non-chron). Lastly, I love the Steinhart Ocean 1, and would have made up my mind if I could get one in blue.

I've read the comparisons between all these models, looked at tons of models by Citizen, CW, Hamilton, Seiko and just can't come down to a choice. I was pretty set on a SARB, but can't get over how thing the watch body is and that there doesn't seem to be lume on those models.

I realize that the selections I've made are very different, at that the highest quality of my options is likely the Steinhart. I would like, but do not require, a sapphire glass, reliable movement and a solid bracelet (Mako, Seiko don't meet this, but I can get a Strapcode bracelet to satisfy that). My needs for the watch are pretty utilitarian: won't be wearing it while doing car repairs, but I would like decent lume (even the poor Mako lume is fine) and I don't want something super dressy (which eliminates a lot of the vintage-esque Tissot and Seiko SARB models).

So...while this post is all over the place, what do you all think? With the models I've mentioned...any other things I should consider? How about other models/brands (within my budget)? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Re: Need advice on an entry to mid-level watch

Chris ward. And no one will accuse you of wearing an imitation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    Chris ward. And no one will accuse you of wearing an imitation.
    That a C60? If so, that was the model I had looked at. It's definitely in my list of considerations!

Somehow I missed this model. Definitely need to do some research and comparisons. How does this stack up to the Steinhart in terms of quality/components?

EDIT: Seems that it has a mineral face. For that price point, I want sapphire. Thanks!
    Last edited by satyr; July 29th, 2014 at 05:03.

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    That a C60? If so, that was the model I had looked at. It's definitely in my list of considerations!
    Its a very good watch. It would be better without the date feature. (Ignore my comment, I am on a no date watch kick)

Quote Originally Posted by Stellite View Post
    Its a very good watch. It would be better without the date feature. (Ignore my comment, I am on a no date watch kick)
    Any experience with the Steinhart model? I've read a few comparisons, and they seem very comparable (better lume on Steinhart, nicer bracelet on CW)--decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    Any experience with the Steinhart model? I've read a few comparisons, and they seem very comparable (better lume on Steinhart, nicer bracelet on CW)--decisions, decisions.
    Nothing but good comments from steinhart owners. I never owned one, however.

A good friend has the Steinhart Ocean 1 and it is built very well for the price.

You asked for opinions. If it were my money, I'd get the Seiko SBDC above, perhaps in blue. The Hardlex crystal is a lot tougher than you'd think.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information