Need advice on first nice watch for work
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need advice on first nice watch for work

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need advice on first nice watch for work

Hello, I am soon graduating from nursing school (RN), and I would like to get myself a nice, durable, understated watch for everyday wear. I am considering an Omega Speedmaster professional, the Breitling Colt, and maybe a Rolex oyster perpetual. However, this is a gift I want for myself I do not want the showy "look what im wearing" watch, not into the current huge ostentatious sport watch look. I am interested in more of a classic watch that I can wear at work, and out on the weekends and in town,. Any opinions, reviews, or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Inactive

Re: Need advice on first nice watch for work

Quote Originally Posted by alecgd View Post
    I am interested in more of a classic watch that I can wear at work.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist )
    Last edited by watchma; October 7th, 2012 at 19:00.

Unfortunately, even the most understated Rolex watch will still say Rolex on the dial.. For better or for worse, that's something that most people will recognize as a high end watch. That being said, if it makes you happy, pull the trigger.
    Mr. Panerai likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Which one do you like best?

Think about it and that's your answer.

The Speedy Pro would be a great choice. It is iconic in WIS circles, great brand and heritage, both sporty yet dressy enough for work, and if you are in North America most of the uneducated masses will not know about Omega.
    Hammondo likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    The Speedy Pro would be a great choice. It is iconic in WIS circles, great brand and heritage, both sporty yet dressy enough for work, and if you are in North America most of the uneducated masses will not know about Omega.
    To this point my wife was at our family jeweler (known for jewelry, not watches). She was talking to them about appraisals for her ring and necklace and asked if they did watches too saying, "my husband is about to buy an Omega, can you do an appraisal on it as well.?" She said the guy behind the counter looked as though he had no idea what Omega was as he glanced at the counter of everyday brands they carry.

In the end I'm getting the appraisal letter from the AD (which she didn't know) but yeah.

To the OP, I agree with the previous that more than not a Rolex is going to scream look at me, especially to those non-wis.

The Speedmaster is a fine choice but do you want a Chrono? If you will not use it then I would skip it as you're going to pay more for future service for the look. If you will use it then go for it. If you want to look at another nice Chrono look at the IWC 3717.

On that same note IWC has a lot to offer with what you are looking at, many classic yet modern and understated pieces offering a quality timepiece to match.

(Forgive my lack of pictures as I am on my phone... will edit later since these threads are no fun without eye candy.)
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; October 7th, 2012 at 20:05.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Thanks for the comments thusfar. I had that inkling about Rolex and was steering away from it, but wanted to seek other's opinion on the matter. I am not die hard set on a chronograph, but it may come in handy down the road. How does IWC stack up to the Breitling or Omega's (I'm still relatively new to the watch scene so forgive my lack of knowledge). I am leaning more towards to omega as the Breitlings still seem a little to ostentatious for me (very big and gaudy from the ones I tried on). I am much more concerned about longevity and accuracy of time keeping, and I like the look of the SM thus far, but am open to other suggestions within the same price range and functionality (yes a patike phillipe would be nice, but I dont have the $, and I don't think it would be very practical for a hospital setting).

While I love the Speedy Pro, I'm not sure it is the best daily for a hospital with all the hand washing (and all other fluids encountered)....how about a Superocean Heritage on mesh or rubber?

OceanicTime: BREITLING Superocean Heritage 42

IWC Portugeuse? Maybe a bit too dressy but I think its a great looking watch:
    Name:  iwc_portuguese_01.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  93.8 KB

Here's another good IWC, this ones probably more suited to the task.

Name:  1915_LRG.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  28.1 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information