Need advice - first time watch seller
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluloo

Thread: Need advice - first time watch seller

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to sell a watch on this forum for the first time... I don't have any prior experience selling any of my time-pieces. I'm just trying to get an idea of a timeline... I followed all of the Watchuseek guidelines for posting and put all of the specs up in addition to some very thorough photographs of the watch... I'm just curious because I haven't even received an inkling of interest from anyone and the post has had over 1,000 views.

Any advice y'all?
    Last edited by novedl; February 21st, 2013 at 21:02.

Re: Need advice - first time watch seller

If your not getting any inquiries, your price may be set too high. Not trying to tell you how to sell your watch or what it should go for but try lowering the price for starters. You can judge the price it will sell for by looking at other ads for similar style/model watches and finding out how much the grey market price is and go lower.

Also, do the photos represent the watch? If not, take better photos and add some photos of the box and papers along with a receipt if applicable.

Finally, do you have any accessories that you could throw in to sweeten the deal?

Remember, just because you want to sell it or sell it for xx dollars doesn't mean it will sell for xx dollars or sell at all. For every SALE that is made, there has to be at least one person willing to BUY.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by napel; February 20th, 2013 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by napel View Post
    If your not getting any inquiries, your price may be set too high. Not trying to tell you how to sell your watch or what it should go for but try lowering the price for starters. You can judge the price it will sell for by looking at other ads for similar style/model watches and finding out how much the grey market price is and go lower.

Also, do the photos represent the watch? If not, take better photos and add some photos of the box and papers along with a receipt if applicable.

Finally, do you have any accessories that you could throw in to sweeten the deal?

Remember, just because you want to sell it or sell it for xx dollars doesn't mean it will sell for xx dollars or sell at all. For every SALE that is made, there has to be at least one person willing to BUY.

Hope that helps.
    Very nice watch - hefty price tag though so the market available to buy is going to be small. Good luck with sale OP!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, my thought is that for high value items, you're either (a) going to have to take a bath on it such that it's such a good deal that the wealthier among us can't NOT buy it, or (b) wait it out.

Best of luck to you.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by allenng View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm trying to sell a watch on this forum for the first time... I don't have any prior experience selling any of my time-pieces. I'm just trying to get an idea of a timeline... I followed all of the Watchuseek guidelines for posting and put all of the specs up in addition to some very thorough photographs of the watch... I'm just curious because I haven't even received an inkling of interest from anyone and the post has had over 1,000 views.

Any advice y'all?

The watch is a *mod edit*
    maybe you're asking too much money?
    Last edited by geoffbot; February 21st, 2013 at 22:41.
    "I'm just a man who loves savings... and pie."

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give advice! I really appreciate it.

I lowered my price to $3,000 in response to what y'all said. Hopefully that helps some! I don't think I can go much lower so hopefully we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by allenng View Post
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to give advice! I really appreciate it.

I lowered my price to $3,000 in response to what y'all said. Hopefully that helps some! I don't think I can go much lower so hopefully we'll see!
    Here's one thing that EBAY is AWESOME for...BUY IT NOW/BEST OFFER. I know some hate the bay, but if I am having trouble selling ANYTHING, I would post on the bay with this option with a ridiculous BUY IT NOW price and set the BEST OFFER price HIGH TOO as to not be forced to sell my item for less than I want. I do this to gauge how many people are interested and what people are willing to pay. You would be surprised at the outcome. After a couple of weeks I know exactly what my item is going for and set realistic expectations on what I am willing to accept. The information costs you a couple of dollars and sometimes it's well worth it.
    Last edited by napel; February 21st, 2013 at 19:59.

I just did a Google search for that model. Jomashop lists it (doorbuster price), new, from a reasonably established vendor with a warranty for ~ 3k.

There's almost no incentive to buy privately, at the same price.

IME, discounts need to be very significant, to avoid competing with new pieces offered by various retail outlets.

FYI and YMMV.

Good luck with the sale.
    napel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    I just did a Google search for that model. Jomashop lists it (doorbuster price), new, from a reasonably established vendor with a warranty for ~ 3k.

IME, discounts need to be very significant, to avoid competing with new pieces offered by various retail outlets.

FYI and YMMV.

Good luck with the sale.

Was hoping he figured it out, but sometimes you have to just lay it on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post

FYI and YMMV.

Good luck with the sale.
    I'd say that sums it up. I bought a Hamilton Pan Europ from an AD. Shortly after I was able to get the Monaco I dreamed about forever and I thought they were close enough in style that I'd like something other than the Pan Europ. Sure enough as soon as I'm ready to sell the gray market finally gets the silver dials and I took a bath selling the Hamilton.

You may want to hold onto it until after Jomashops doorbuster deal ends.

Thread Information