Need Advice on my first Watch!
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need Advice on my first Watch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Advice on my first Watch!

Hi everyone I hope to get some advice on my first watch!

I have a 5-10k budget and was hoping to get a watch that works in both casual and formal situations as a 20 year old.

I am relatively inexperienced with watches so do correct me if I am wrong!

I understand the watches below aren't in-house movements (the carrera 1887 isn't 100% is it?) so I am looking mostly for quality, looks and some pricing.

Right now I've been eyeing the following three watches:

Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Automatic Chronograph (43mm)
    Zenith Pilot Big Date Special (42mm)
    IWC Big Pilot's Chronograph (43mm)

Name:  tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-1887-chronograph-automatic-silver-dial-mens-watch-car2012-fc6236-21.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  117.4 KBName:  Zenith-03-2410-4010-21-C722.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  256.7 KBName:  IWC-IW377701.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  279.7 KB

Do feel free to let me know about any other watches that fit my budget. Thanks!

Re: Need Advice on my first Watch!

I don't have anywhere near the experience or knowledge to truly help you out here, but I will share my experience with the Tag 1887. First off, I absolutely love mine. It was my first "real" purchase and will always have sentimental value for personal reasons. I enjoy wearing it and I would probably buy it again as my first watch (again, for personal reasons).

Having said that, the first one I purchased had a problem day 1 and had to be returned to the AD. My second one had very minor imperfections / blemishes in the case that I made a conscious decision to accept and live with. The crown also gives me a little grief when setting the date (has to be just right). I'll have these addressed at the first service, and in reality they're minor little OCD issues. But the bottom line is that, despite my love of the Tag, I'd probably recommend trying the Zenith or IWC when dropping that amount of coin in a first watch.

Again, take this with a grain of salt. It actually pains me to report my experience as I am a fan of Tag Heuer in general.

Thanks for sharing your experience Zeroedout. Yes I agree that it's a serious amount of money I am spending so I'll have to make sure it's a purchase I won't ever have to regret.

I was actually drawn to the Tag 1887 when I first saw it in the store, to a point I was very close to actually buying it. That being said, my brother suggested I look around more for other watches before actually committing to it.

The other two watches I have not seen in person, although a couple weeks ago I actually got to try a few IWC Portugueses and Portofinos. I really like the Portuguese but they're dress watches and the their price range is above my budget.

I was actually considering looking at used Hublot Big Bang watches. But again my lack of experience and this being my first watch may not make it such a good idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I will add that I purchased the Tag, in part, because it was the first watch that I couldn't stop thinking about. It doesn't have a true in-house movement, but it really is a stunning watch. The brand is easily recognized by most (when you want to make a statement) and like I said, I honestly have no regrets. I'm mentioning this because in hindsight, the cosmetic imperfections on mine were avoidable and likely not reflective of the brand in general. I don't want to turn you off the watch based on my earlier post. Lol, posters remorse set in.

Psst... Get a Speedy pro. Depending on the model, it could run you about 3k and up. The sapphire sandwich (3573.50.000) is about 5.5k, and in my opinion it is the best option. Sapphire crystal, decorated movement, and a clear caseback.

Stolen pics from the magnificent land of the internets. I need to sleep.
    geoloop, DanOmega and Ottski44 like this.

OWN
    G-Shock
    GW-530A, GA-100-1A1, G-9300-1 Mudman
    Marathon
    JSAR
    Seiko
    SKX007K2
    Swatch
    High Wonder

INCOMING
    Maratac
    Large Pilot 2013
    Russian
    AChS-1 pannel clock

That IWC is great, I had one, its pretty large so I suggest trying it on before buying

Zenith is also a great choice but check out some other models as well, they have a lot to offer

But if the Tag is what is calling you, go for it since you'll be thinking about it anyway if you get anything else

Also 5-10K on a watch at 20 years old is a lot of cake, its your money but I would recommend start a bit lower until you find what you like

If you're into pilot chronographs, the IWC is nice. For your first watch and in that price range, I'll throw the Rolex Explorer I and II out there. They are safe bets with low key timeless designs that you probably won't get tired of as your tastes change. They are both very versatile..a bit more I think than the chronographs you're looking at imho. Also think about the crowd you're around and whether you'll be comfortable with the perception the watch projects. Lastly, I dinged up my first "nice" watch on all kinds of unexpected stuff. If you're not comfortable with that, then also consider something less expensive until you find something you can't resist.
    blowfish89 likes this.
    Breguet Type XX | GS SBGX065 | VC 42042 | VC 49140

If you've never worn a watch consistently, are you sure you don't want to purchase a perfectly acceptable budget watch first to see if you're likely to wear it daily before jumping in to an Automatic? Do you have a good feel for your size preferences? (This is a big one--you'd regret buying one too big, too small, too thick, etc.)

At 20, with one watch, are you going to need a watch for rugged use or use in a situation where you wouldn't want to risk a nice watch anyway?

Just a counter-argument... Carry on.
    You and Nocturnal like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

I did come across both the Omega Speedmaster and the Rolex explorers. They're beautiful watches, but I prefer wearing leather straps and a thinner bezel. As a side note, is it true that a Rolex holds its value quite well? Or is it just for higher end ones such as the Daytona?

I also came across a used IWC Portuguese Automatic Ref 3714 selling for 5520 USD, in black face. It looks appealing, and a new one sells for about 8900 in my area. But looking through the forums I found out that there are a lot of replicas out there which sorta brings into question its authenticity, even though the shop I called claims it has certification and warranty. I am not sure whether I am experienced enough to be in the market for used watches, even if it means significant savings.

denmanproject and OverSteer:
    You guys do make a point, 5-10k is quite a bit of money for a young guy like me. I do admit I haven't been wearing watches consistently-the only watch I own (and only used briefly) is a G-Shock. I think it's also partly the influence by some of my peers who recently started getting really fancy watches, that made me interested.
    I think I'll start wearing the G-Shock and see how I like wearing a watch consistently. Although I have to say it's quite different from the watches I've been examining. I really do hope I make a good decision. After all, not getting a watch means money not spent for now, I really shouldn't be in a rush to find a suitable watch.
    Last edited by Tomato Tian; July 30th, 2014 at 08:05.

Out of those 3 I'd pick the Zenith
    Nocturnal likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information