Need advice - Omega Seamaster vs Rolex Submariner?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need advice - Omega Seamaster vs Rolex Submariner?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Need advice - Omega Seamaster vs Rolex Submariner?

Hi All,

I would like to get several opinions regarding Rolex Submariner vs. Omega Seamaster. I'm looking to buy my first higher end piece that I can wear on a daily basis both for meeting clients and for outdoor activities. Actually, previously I was considering 4 options which are the Submariner, Seamaster, Speedmaster or IWC Portuegese. All 4 are unique in my eyes, as the Sub vs Seamaster, well, the price alone makes them two distinct considerations, while the Speedmaster is a watch I've always dreamed of since I was a kid, and its chrono model will definitely complete my collection. The Port is just so gorgeous and basically will be my first classy watch. However after wrongly posting at the higher end watch, the good folks there suggested that the Sub will be the best choice. But I'm curious as to whether the Seamaster could be an acceptable solution to the Sub, considering the benefits of price and perhaps fewer people will recognize it as compared to the Sub.

I kinda thought the dial has a somewhat more modern look as well, compared to the untouchably timeless Sub. But I already have a Mako XL that I wear daily and a few people over the years mistake it for a Sub, and if I get the Sub, well, there'd be no radical change in my look in their eyes. I basically need a robust watch that can handle my rough handling. I mountaineer, rock climb, canyoneer, camp and recently, dive. The Mako, while I respect, is not that robust in particular its lume and bezel. I also ride a bumpy motorcycle daily in a country where potholes are part of the charm. The daily ride rattles my bone; will it does too for an auto watch? Lastly, I'm an editor so I travel a lot - and having just one watch that can go from the sea straight to a meeting in a five star hotel and then a black tie in the evening and checking out the local Disneyland the next day is a HUGE bonus. Currently I have to bring two watches; one is the Mako or Oakley timebomb for outdoor and a dress watch for evenings. So... considering price vs performance vs. brand name impact, the Seamaster or the Sub? Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

OzO

Re: Need advice - Omega Seamaster vs Rolex Submariner?

I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson who said "The only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real one"

But seriously, try them both on and which one calls out to you
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

I would say buy the Submariner for durability sake. The Seamaster I have two of them seem to scratch and scuff up easier then a Submariner. The movement according to most watch people is also better. The bracelet on the new Subs is phenomenal. Got one last year do not wear it frequently but for the cost not a bad piece. I wore a Sub for over 8 or so years daily. I worked on cars, jetskied, sailed, golfed, gokarted, camped, rode dirt bikes, atv's, ice climbed and the like it worked. I still wear it occasionally. No idea why you would need to travel with another watch. Brand name impact COUGH!! I would say not really any btw the two myself. Who really looks at watches much any more?? But it would depend on your social class I guess. Personally I hang out with a crowd that wears mostly higher end watches. Which is why I rarely wear my Sub or any Rolex much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Tried the search function here on WUS ? If I remember correctly this issue has been raised for several times already.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

An editor you say .......hmmmmmm........OK, I reread your post, and it's actually decently written, in a stream of consciousness sort of way. Just my style.

The sub can handle all the activities you mentioned, but I still think it would be wise to carry a back up beater watch. When you send your Rolex in for service every 3-5 years, and get the $500-1500 USD repair bill, ask yourself, is carrying just one watch worth it? That's only 200/300 a year. If the answer is yes - get the sub. It has tremendous resale value, and you can add the Speedmaster, and Portuguese later. The new sub C's, with maxi dials, are very legible in the dark, and one may be confident the sub will virtually never go out of style.

OTOH, if you travel across many time zones, a GMT, might be more appropriate...It shares many characteristics of the sub, without the WR rating. Neither is ideal for a tux though, but can be used in a pinch.

If I were doing the same activities you are, and I had 5-7K to spend, I would get a G Shock for rock climbing, any rough activities, and diving. They can handle a fall from a 3 story building, 200m WR, and at $100+/-, they can be replaced every 3-5 years. (The Solar Atomic model can last much longer) Then I would get a Seamaster Quartz. It can handle anything you dish out, has 300m WR, terrific lume, and can be had in the 1500-2000 range. And in a pinch, it can be worn with a tux.
    That would leave me with enough to get a Speedmaster. Arguably, the most iconic chrono around, you will have a lifetime watch.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Thank you all.
    @striker27: Thanks for the insight about Seamaster. Yeah whichever watch I wear will get pretty rough handling, so you say Seamaster being of gentler nature than Sub... that's worrisome. And yeah, I know these two are just entry watches compared to the <$100,000 watches that are out there :D but they're all I can afford right now and I guess you could say I'm simply trying to limit my humiliation walking into meetings with a Mako or worse the yellow-dialed Timebomb lol!

@stuffler,mike: Mea culpa, I probably did fail to discover that. I did browse the forum a bit but found no exact situation to mine. I'll be careful next time.

@silversurfer: I LOVE your idea about the quartz Seamaster PLUS the Speedy Pro!! Can't beat a twofer, although I don't want to purchase them at the same time. Gotta relish one at a time! Oh btw I already got a Casio Pathfinder which I also wear on a daily basis. That thing is awesome - the face (the crystal) actually has a deep scratch from the time when I fell off a rock, swung hard on the rope and hit the cliff, watch first. It didn't break, it wasn't fazed, nothing. I bought the Pathfinder, in fact, to replace my 16 (?) yrs old GShock (the one Keanu wore in "Speed") which bezel fell off after all those abuses. Thanks again for your insight on the Sub and Seamaster and Speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by gharadiran View Post
    Thank you all.
    @striker27: Thanks for the insight about Seamaster. Yeah whichever watch I wear will get pretty rough handling, so you say Seamaster being of gentler nature than Sub... that's worrisome. And yeah, I know these two are just entry watches compared to the <$100,000 watches that are out there :D but they're all I can afford right now and I guess you could say I'm simply trying to limit my humiliation walking into meetings with a Mako or worse the yellow-dialed Timebomb lol!
    I certainly don't know if I'd say the underlined above is true. Unless you routinely dive to the extreme limit of either one of these two watches, as far as I'm concerned the point is moot. I had a Omega GMT, which is the same as a Seamaster without the HE valve. I wore it every day for quite a while, then gave it to my Son before he went overseas. He wore it every day in Iraq for 6 months, and when I saw it last weekend it looked as good as ever. Rolex is better at controling their market, but either watch will serve you well.

Mark

Banned

Your Mako will be able to handle any of the activities you mention as well as a Sub or Seamaster. Why trash a luxury watch?
    lvt and PH68 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flathead59 View Post
    I certainly don't know if I'd say the underlined above is true. Unless you routinely dive to the extreme limit of either one of these two watches, as far as I'm concerned the point is moot. I had a Omega GMT, which is the same as a Seamaster without the HE valve. I wore it every day for quite a while, then gave it to my Son before he went overseas. He wore it every day in Iraq for 6 months, and when I saw it last weekend it looked as good as ever. Rolex is better at controling their market, but either watch will serve you well.

Mark
    I'll add to this and say that I wear my Rolex Exp II damn near everyday over here in the sandbox and it's no worse for wear than when I bought it!
    ★OperationNewDawn★

Rolex, Omega, TAG Heuer, Hamilton, Seiko, Ocean7

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information