Need advice on picking a watch

Thread: Need advice on picking a watch

Need advice on picking a watch

I've been eyeing watches for quite some time now, but have held off on buying one until now. As an incoming Senior with some money laying around, I feel that its time I satisfy my desires and buy a watch. However, I am still fairly new to the watch world and would greatly appreciate advice from a more experienced watch enthusiast.
    I've been searching around, and a few watches have caught my eye. But before I get into that, allow me to share my requirements.
    The price range is $500-$1000USD, though I'm willing to go slightly above or below for a special watch. The movement must be automatic. I have no desire to own a quartz watch, regardless of their accuracy. I'd prefer that it come with a metal bracelet. I have nothing against leather, but I frequently wear both brown and black leather. I don't want to mix leather colors so I'd rather just avoid leather straps. I'm neither a pilot nor a diver, though some water resistance is always nice.
    The watch should be Swiss, though German is also acceptable. The complications don't really sway me, so I don't mind a simple three-hand watch.
    It would be great if it could be worn casually or formally. And lastly, I have small wrists (just under 7in) Any watch at or above 42mm would look silly.
    My search has yielded several options. Feel free to share your experiences, protest my choices, or suggest a different watch. In no particular order:

--Tissot LeLocle. It caught my eye early in my search with its simple elegance and moderate price. The black-faced one would probably be my first pick, but I would have to see them both side by side to know for sure.

--Hamilton Valiant Black Dial. Similar to the LeLocle, but I like the Roman Numerals on this one.

--Oris Classic Date Black Dial w/ Rose Gold. I've always seen rose gold as a feminine metal, but it actually looks good on this. But what looks good in a picture could look less-than-appealing in reality (e.g. every fast food commercial) so I would have to see it for myself.

--Prometheus Signatura Black Dial. I guess you could say I'm a sucker for black dials

Again, feel free to post your own suggestions or reviews of the above watches. Thanks!
    Last edited by jemarsh97; June 25th, 2014 at 05:53.

Re: Need advice on picking a watch

Except for the Oris your choices seem not very casual to me but that is a matter of personal preference.

Glycine Combat 7 Ref 3898. There are a couple of different black dial options.

There are a couple of different black dial options.

Christopher Ward C65

To me this style of watch is something that could be warn dress or casual.

Sinn 556i
    Last edited by dalto; June 25th, 2014 at 06:46.

These should fit the bill

Victorinox Officer Day-date Mechanical : http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...hanical/241591
    Airboss Mechanical : http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...hanical/241508

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 on the lelocle. Please make sure you see both dials in the flesh, the subtle texture comes out much more beautifull on the silvery dial imho. I'm not wearing it today, otherwise I would have added apicture...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    Bernhardt Sea Shark; Tissot le Locle; Certina DS Podium Chrono; Grand Seiko SBGJ201

If you don't mind German watches, look at Stowa and Laco

Quote Originally Posted by dalto View Post

Glycine Combat 7 Ref 3898. There are a couple of different black dial options.

There are a couple of different black dial options.

Christopher Ward C65

To me this style of watch is something that could be warn dress or casual.

Sinn 556i
    The Glycine doesn't look as great on a metal band as I had hoped, but the CW is nice. My only problem with that particular Sinn is the blockiness of the hour ticks.

Regarding the other posts, the Victorinox Officer Day Date is definitely an option, but the Airboss just isn't for me.

The white faced LeLocle is without a doubt more textured, but I don't like how it looks like "Tissot 1853" was just just glued onto it.

And I'll be sure to check out those German watches, any specific models in mind?

Tissot.

Thread Information