Need advice as soon as possible...
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need advice as soon as possible...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need advice as soon as possible...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post am looking forward to feedback!

This year is the is our ten year wedding anniversary which is the year of diamonds! I was originally thinking of a diamon tennis bracelet however have decided on a watch.

She is not materialistic, not flashy or any of the above. However I love spoling her with nice things.

I am looking for something she can wear with jeans, also wear being dressed up and last 7-10 years. What I can up with is a Tag Heuer Aqua Racer with a polished bracelet, mother of pearl face and diamonds on the face. I got 25% off list price from an authorized dealer.

So what do you think about this watch?
    Is there something else I should look at?
    Is 25% off a good deals?
    The watch will cost me after discounts $1,800

Re: Need advice as soon as possible...

If that's a quartz movement watch, I really wouldn't bother...

It's one of the things a lot of people around here don't like about Tag. Some of their models are ridiculously priced and lacking any real horological substance. Quartz watches have their place, but at $1,800 I don't think so. What you're paying for there is just the case. Unless I'm missing something, quartz movements (as opposed to mechanical movements) are extremely cheap to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincero View Post
    If that's a quartz movement watch, I really wouldn't bother...

It's one of the things a lot of people around here don't like about Tag. Some of their models are ridiculously priced and lacking any real horological substance. Quartz watches have their place, but at $1,800 I don't think so. What you're paying for there is just the case. Unless I'm missing something, quartz movements (as opposed to mechanical movements) are extremely cheap to produce.
    Well an eta 2824 is about 100 bucks to produce a Quartz.... 10 or so? On an 1800 dollar watch does it make that much of a difference?

My experience is that most women prefer quartz... big time.

Take my wife, she wears her watch some days, others she doesn't... she certainly couldn't be bothered with resetting a mechanical... or learning the the tricks to their care....

She wears an eco-drive and that is perfect.

Quartz isn't for me, but it's perfect, for her...
    124Spider likes this.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to WUS! I think at that price you could look for a brand that might have slightly less marketing and a bit more panache while maintaining feminine appeal. I'm not an expert in diamond-dotted ladies watches, but several excellent brands make good automatic ladies watches. As a test I quickly Googled "Maurice Lacriox ladies watch" and found this link, (photo below, $1500) and I am sure that other WUS denizens may have more and better ideas. I think you have a great plan, and congratulations on your big anniversary! - RR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by skywatch; March 11th, 2011 at 06:40.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Good point, sl7vk.

Depends on what she wants. If she doesn't care about the way the watch works, and the styling is her then go for it. However, $1,800 for a quartz is still quite a lot of money for something, in my mind that isn't horologicaly impressive. I mean, sure it's a fine looking watch and all, but there are probably heaps of watches in similar styles that cost heaps less.

I mean for that kind of money you could get a (second hand) mint ladies Rolex Oysterdate. In which case, my point about movements and price becomes more valid. But hey, it just depends on what she wants. I wouldn't buy into Tag, just for the sake of owning a Tag though... It pays to shop around.

for a non-watch enthusiast, it seems quartz is a good idea, you dont have to worry too much about servicing it as much as a manual/automatic

another one to consider is the Longines Dolce Vita ... with the diamonds, of course
    great classic look

some pictures for references ~
    Name:  DolceVita_Strap01.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  17.4 KBName:  L5.155.5.19.7_PR.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  37.1 KB
    yande likes this.

If it's diamonds you're after then you can't go past the Chopard Happy Sport collection. The diamonds float over the dial. Might be out of your price range though.

Name:  278475-3016_main.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  50.7 KB
    Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
    Groucho Marx

If you say the wife is not flashy, I would recommend diamonds on the dial (not encrusted outside), something like that:

Longines L8.109.4.87.6 from current collection
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

It sounds like Tag is either not the best thing out there or they are overpriced. I checked out a few Longines online and they do indeed seem less expensive and some are quartz also. The only challenge I have is the closest dealer is 130 miles away from me and would like to see them in person.

Any other recommendations? It seems like I should stay away from Tag?

Again she is not flashy but definitely want to get her something good that's also recognizable.

Thanks

Anyone other thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information