Need Advice & Suggestions for "Wedding Watch"
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Need Advice & Suggestions for "Wedding Watch"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Advice & Suggestions for "Wedding Watch"

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the world of (non-fashion) watches and also new to this forum. I've found myself obsessing over watches lately and spending far too much time researching, reading and browsing (but I love it).

My reason for posting is that I am getting married in about a year, and my wonderful fiance has signed on to my half-serious comment prior to our engagement that I should get a nice watch instead of a wedding ring when the time comes, because I don't wear rings and would prefer not to. We're quite happy and secure in our relationship so she agreed to replace my ring with a "wedding watch".

Our price range is about $7k - $9k. I feel that it should be a dress watch considering the occasion, but it needs to be versatile enough that I can wear it just about every day. I work in a business environment, so a dress watch will work well there, but it should not be out of place on the weekends when I'm in jeans and a t-shirt.

Below are some of my preferences, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. The more I look at watches the more I have begun to appreciate styles which at one point I may have discounted.

- I like the moonphase and calendar complications. They remind me of a grandfather clock, which just makes me think "heirloom".
    - I like gold (especially rose gold), but in many of the watches I've tagged up to this point, the gold versions put them out of my price range.
    - I prefer leather bands (can't decide if black or brown will work better).
    - I prefer the 38mm-44mm range, but for the right vintage watch I'd go down to 35mm at the smallest.
    - I'm trying to break myself of this, but I admit to a weakness for the big names/brands (at least the ones I can afford). So it needs to be a mix of very well made watch AND something to catch the eye and be recognized. Nothing against Seiko, who I think offers an amazing value, but I feel like I need one of the top tier names for the occasion.
    - I'm open to both new or used watches, as well as vintage in good condition, and finding a very old, classic looking watch is very appealing to me. I realize my price range is peanuts in the grand scheme of watch collecting, but I want to have something I can pass down to my son one day.

Some of the watches I really like so far, which are in my price range (mostly in steel), are:

Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Geographic
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Master Control
    Blancpain Leman Double-Time
    Blancpain Leman (with moonphase)
    Rolex Datejust II
    Rolex Day-Date
    (I also like classic watches like the Omega SpeedMaster Pro and the Brietling Navitimer, but I don't think they make as much sense as a "wedding watch").

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and for offering suggestions!

Re: Need Advice & Suggestions for "Wedding Watch"

I love most things Rolex and if the DJ is on your list that's the one to go for.
    grubet likes this.

Datejust is a great watch and will be an heirloom watch in your life.
    grubet likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Datejust was the first watch I set my sights on before doing much research. Since then, I've been moving away from Rolex because in the range I'm looking, I'm not getting the complications I want with them, and I'm leaning towards something with a leather band.

And I'm not sure if I like the number markers (other than the roman numeral version), or the cyclops lens. I don't think the word "clunky" is fair, because it's a beautiful watch, but I seem to lean towards other brands over Rolex. It certainly has the name recognition I admit to liking, but I'm just not sure about it.

The one I originally liked was roman numeral black face - I wanted something different from the typical DJ.
    Last edited by grubet; October 22nd, 2014 at 22:43.

great 1st post....... I would go JLC Master Control
    Last edited by inhaus; October 23rd, 2014 at 01:08.
    grubet likes this.

I got my dream watch this summer when I picked up a JLC MC and it is fantastic. Got it on a bracelet but hoping to order a black and a brown strap for it too then I can match it for any occasion. That would be my recommendation.
    grubet likes this.

How about a Reverso of whatever variety you like?

Quote Originally Posted by docwalleye View Post
    How about a Reverso of whatever variety you like?
    I'm not a fan of the reverso. I like them on other people, just not me.

Datejust is the one. That's what I'll be wearing this Saturday for my wedding, albeit the 36mm version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    grubet likes this.
    Rolex Datejust / Frederique Constant Peking to Paris chrono / Oris Divers 65 / Citizen Signature Grand Classic / Orient Star GMT / Movado Museum / Seiko Stargate / HMT Pilot / Luminox 1820

May I suggest.....

Longines
    grubet likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information