Need Advice: Tissot PRC200 or Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need Advice: Tissot PRC200 or Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Advice: Tissot PRC200 or Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1

Hi everyone! I'm new here.

I am thinking of getting a bracelet watch. 2 watches in particular have caught my eye - White Dial Tissot PRC200 (~480 USD where I come from) and Black Dial Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1 (~320USD).

Please let me know which you think is a better watch? Also, is Tissot a better brand since it is a swiss brand? Also, would you recommend a different watch for a budget of 500 USD?

As far as I know, seiko (due to solar) probably wouldnt need for a change of battery whereas for Tissot, I would definitely have to change the battery.

Name:  TISSOT_PRC200.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  41.2 KBName:  SEIKO_SSC087P1.JPG
Views: 1858
Size:  17.8 KB

Thanks

Re: Need Advice: Tissot PRC200 or Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1

Welcome! Your questions will generate a variety of opinions. My own, is that those two watches would be of similar quality, with the exception that the Tissot most likely has a sapphire (more scratch resistant) crystal. On the other hand, I do prefer a solar quartz for the reason you identified. You will also find some nice Citizens in that price range.

Hi Glenn! Thanks for replying. Yeap, as I am torn between the 2 options, I am hoping with all of your opinions, I would be closer to making a decision.

You are right, there is a great pull/wow/cool factor with the solar.

Both of them are sapphire crystals.

One reason that attracts me to tissot is because most tissot watches are of a higher range as compared to seiko, which you can find one for 100-200 USD. So perhaps it might not be viewed as cheaply as Seiko? However, tissot being only quartz, would require more trips down to the shop to change the battery. (sidenote: Tissot offers a 2 year warranty as compared to Seiko, which offers only 1 year warranty)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by noobwatcher View Post
    Both of them are sapphire crystals.
    If you look closely at the tag on that Seiko, I'm pretty sure it says Hardlex (but my eyes aren't what they used to be!)
    Hardlex is hardened mineral crystal.

And yeap, Seiko makes some watches under $100. They also make some over $5000

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    If you look closely at the tag on that Seiko, I'm pretty sure it says Hardlex (but my eyes aren't what they used to be!)
    Hardlex is hardened mineral crystal.

And yeap, Seiko makes some watches under $100. They also make some over $5000
    Wow, I guess you're right! (even though I thought I saw the sapphire label at the shop), but seiko's uk site said nothing about it being made of sapphire crystal. Even though the picture was taken from google, I think I'd better check if its really sapphire crystal or not down at the shop. Thanks for highlighting it out to me :)

If it is not sapphire crystal, it wouldn't really be a fight would it?

Quote Originally Posted by noobwatcher View Post
    If it is not sapphire crystal, it wouldn't really be a fight would it?
    It's not a fight if you want sapphire. But you're paying extra for it. Hardlex is pretty tough, but it will scratch eventually.

One of secrets of the watch world, unknown to people who don't closely follow watches, is that Seiko and their related companies (like Grand Seiko) make watches that are waaaaaaay more expensive than the most expensive Tissot. (E.g.Grand Seiko 44GS Limited Edition Watch Hands-On - Page 2 of 2 | aBlogtoWatch)
    They also make awesome watches that cost a few hundred dollars, and they make pretty decent watches that cost even less than that. They really run the whole gamete.

That said, are you looking for quartz (battery operated) and not automatic or handwinding? Must you have a chronograph?

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Both are of similar quality and each has advantages over the other so in the end I think it comes down to aesthetics - which do you like the best. (if I didn't already have one I would get the Tissot)

My opinion in this one would be Tissot because they ALWAYS use sapphire crystals. I had a couple of Seiko/Citizen watches that didn't, and I hated how easily the mineral crystal would scratch. That said, these are both great, reliable watches at a decent price point.

Banned

I own both brands, and both brands have been great for me. I've had my Tissot for 15 years, and it still looks and works great. Both brands provide a ton of bang for the buck.

I personally find the Seiko more visually appealing, but that's just a matter of preference. The Tissot is very nice, too, and the white face makes it different from a lot of chronos. If you're looking for something more distinct, go with Tissot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information