Need advices - Oris vs Hamilton

Thread: Need advices - Oris vs Hamilton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need advices - Oris vs Hamilton

Hi,

I'm currently shopping for a new watch an I would like some advices.

I'm interessted into the Oris classic 37mm silver dial with the brown leather strap or the hamilton Jazzmaster viewmatic 40mm with the same color combo.

Here in Canada, the Oris retail for 50% more than the hamilton (750$ vs. 1100$). Since both watch are really similar looking, I was wondering, is the oris really worth the 50% more in term of quality and resale value.

Also, I saw that the Hamilton Jazzmaster slim automatic was supose to have a better movement than the viewmatic. Is that true? If yes, the Jazzmaster slim comes in 2 sizes, 43mm and 40mm. Does both size have the same movement?

Thanks for the help,

Re: Need advices - Oris vs Hamilton

I gotta say Oris...they are so well made

not that Hamilton isn't, mind you....
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

beshannon

I have no idea about resale, if this were my choice I would take the Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

+1 for Oris.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by m_1313 View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently shopping for a new watch an I would like some advices.

I'm interessted into the Oris classic 37mm silver dial with the brown leather strap or the hamilton Jazzmaster viewmatic 40mm with the same color combo.

Here in Canada, the Oris retail for 50% more than the hamilton (750$ vs. 1100$). Since both watch are really similar looking, I was wondering, is the oris really worth the 50% more in term of quality and resale value.

Also, I saw that the Hamilton Jazzmaster slim automatic was supose to have a better movement than the viewmatic. Is that true? If yes, the Jazzmaster slim comes in 2 sizes, 43mm and 40mm. Does both size have the same movement?

Thanks for the help,
    First of all, have you actually looked at both watches in person? Because I would say that I don't think they look the same. The Jazzmaster has really cool lug detail and I think it the case just looks a lot better than the Oris.

Also, the Jazzmaster Viewmatic also comes in two sizes... 37mm and 40mm. Both have the same 2824 movement. For your question about Jazzmaster Slim, both sizes have the same the same movement, 2892A2.

You may also want to consider the Jazzmaster Power Reserve and Petite Seconde models. They are both based on the 40mm Viewmatic case, but have 2892A2-based movements with the complications, similar to the Slim. In the US they are priced around $1100 +/- $50 for strap-based or bracelet versions.

I like Oris and Hamilton (having several of both) but I think in this segment the Hamilton wins in looks, price and ties in quality. If you're looking for a 300M diver then Oris is the way to go.

-s-

Vegas, baby!

The Oris is a fine, classic watch only spoilt by the slightly oversize numerals. Funny how just one design detail can put you off...

So the I'd have the Hamilton every time. It just has that something extra including many nice design touches - and it's cheaper. The difference in the movement wouldn't sway me in the slightest based on my experiences of the 2824.
    Last edited by Barry H; November 23rd, 2009 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by skoochy View Post
    First of all, have you actually looked at both watches in person? Because I would say that I don't think they look the same. The Jazzmaster has really cool lug detail and I think it the case just looks a lot better than the Oris.

Also, the Jazzmaster Viewmatic also comes in two sizes... 37mm and 40mm. Both have the same 2824 movement. For your question about Jazzmaster Slim, both sizes have the same the same movement, 2892A2.

You may also want to consider the Jazzmaster Power Reserve and Petite Seconde models. They are both based on the 40mm Viewmatic case, but have 2892A2-based movements with the complications, similar to the Slim. In the US they are priced around $1100 +/- $50 for strap-based or bracelet versions.

I like Oris and Hamilton (having several of both) but I think in this segment the Hamilton wins in looks, price and ties in quality. If you're looking for a 300M diver then Oris is the way to go.

-s-

Thanks for the answer. I've saw the hamilton Jazzmaster viewmatic in person but not the oris. The strap for the Hamilton was more brown/red and look similar to the one in the oris pics.

As for the movement, is the 2892A2 really better than the 2824? Also, what is the difference between each movement?

Quote Originally Posted by m_1313 View Post
    As for the movement, is the 2892A2 really better than the 2824? Also, what is the difference between each movement?
    Sorry for the typos in the previous post. I'm on a really slow connection right now and it's easy to get distracted waiting for pages to come up.

The 2892 v. 2824 debate is pretty well covered here, you may want to search on it. I prefer the 2892, most people will say it is superior, some will argue about the 2824 merits. You'll need to decide for yourself if it is worth it!

-s-
    Vegas, baby!

I prefer the looks of the Hamilton. I'll also agree with Skoochy, the petite seconde model or Power Reserve has my vote!
    Citizen Big Date World Timer - BR0011-02E
    Tag Heuer F1 Chronograph - CAC1111-0
    Omega Planet Ocean - 2200.50.00
    Casio G-Shock GW7900B-1

I just got a 40mm Jazzmaster slim (around $415 on ebay) and very pleased. Very classy design, only 2 hands and a very stealthy lume on the markers (I didn't realize that they were lumed until I lit it up)

The 40mm Slim has the 2892-2 and also shares the 22mm lug width as the 43mm, contrary to information available on the net.
    Last edited by houndoggie; November 23rd, 2009 at 21:46.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information