Need BIRKS Watches' reivews
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need BIRKS Watches' reivews

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need BIRKS Watches' reivews

Hello all, nice meeting you all.
    I wonder if someone here has owned watches from Birks (Birks Collection Watches For Men | Maison Birks), if so would you be able to provide a quick review.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need BIRKS Watches' reivews

Never, ever heard of them before and I doubt if there'd be much interest in them on these forums. Probably very overpriced for what it is. Have a look at Seiko instead.

Birks is a big jewelry house in Canada. Very respectable, with quality products and great customer service. They have the Mayors banner in Florida as well.

That says, their private label collection seems a little expensive. But if you compare with the Canadian market price at an AD for a Hamilton or the like, they are probably not that far-fetch!

If you like the model and could afford the price, they probably worth it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm ashamed to say I once bought a watch from them, before I knew anything about watches. Handsome, quartz, about $900 IIRC, probably cost Birks a good $50 to make it and they were pleased to sell it to me. They're jewellers, and they are out to make a large profit on every sale, if you know jewellery margins, expect to be asked to pay those. Again, they're jewellers, not watchmakers, they haven't been in the horology game since they put out that RCAF chrono fifty years ago. Undistinguished quartz cased up by whoever's low-bid in Shanghai these days, they look okay at first glance if you don't know watches.

If you like shiny gimcrack, definitely buy a new Birks-branded watch, it'll empty your wallet out just as well as buying an actual watch would, the only real difference is you won't have a useful watch at the end of the process, you'll have a fashion watch and a sob story instead, like me. For me, it was my most regretted watch purchase ever. Luckily it soured me on buying watches new from jewellers which has probably saved me lots of cash since, I can find a silver lining in anything!

I have never owned a modern Birks watch but the company tends to use legitimate brands for their private label watches. Eterna is a brand used in the past.

Alpina currently makes Birls watches or at least the Airmaster collection. I think some people here think highly of Alpina. If you tire of it you will likely take an extra hit for it being a Birks watch rather than an Alpina.

Alpina's own Heritage Pilot is listed as being under $2500 CAD ( and more than $1000) at Matt Baily, so it may or may not be too overpriced compared to the equivalent Alpina watch.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; July 28th, 2014 at 20:42.
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I have never owned a modern Birks watch but the company tends to use legitimate brands for their private label watches. Eterna is a brand used in the past.

Alpina currently makes Birls watches or at least the Airmaster collection. I think some people here think highly of Alpina. If you tire of it you will likely take an extra hit for it being a Birks watch rather than an Alpina.

Alpina's own Heritage Pilot is listed as being under $2500 CAD ( and more than $1000) at Matt Baily, so it may or may not be too overpriced compared to the equivalent Alpina watch.
    Well, looking at Birks page about their watches I'm hard pressed to find anything approaching Alpina design or movement quality. Every Birks watch is quartz, and their chronos use that special dial where all the subdials are jammed right in the middle because the movement's too small for the case and the designer is forced to use it anyhow. They don't even specify what movement, although I think we can all guess it's something by Ronda. Henry, I believe Birks used to sell quality own-branded watches, heck, that lovely chrono that the Sea-Gull 1963 seemed to copy was a beaut, but unless I'm seriously deficient in finding my way about their website I cannot agree that their current offerings are in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattrapante Pete View Post
    Well, looking at Birks page about their watches I'm hard pressed to find anything approaching Alpina design or movement quality. Every Birks watch is quartz, and their chronos use that special dial where all the subdials are jammed right in the middle because the movement's too small for the case and the designer is forced to use it anyhow. They don't even specify what movement, although I think we can all guess it's something by Ronda. Henry, I believe Birks used to sell quality own-branded watches, heck, that lovely chrono that the Sea-Gull 1963 seemed to copy was a beaut, but unless I'm seriously deficient in finding my way about their website I cannot agree that their current offerings are in the same league.
    Funny, this took seconds to find:
    Birks Airmaster Watches : Chronograph Stainless steel and rose gold watches

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Sorry, it's not clear what you're trying to show!

But from their description:

Timepiece designed by Birks in Canada, manufactured in Switzerland with the collaboration of Swiss watchmaker Alpina in Geneva.

Quote Originally Posted by Luskar View Post
    Sorry, it's not clear what you're trying to show!

But from their description:

Name:  13625b.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  134.3 KB
    Luskar and Likestheshiny like this.

Nice! I was wondering about the small pusher at 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information