Need a Boring Watch Recommendation.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ljb187

Thread: Need a Boring Watch Recommendation.

Need a Boring Watch Recommendation.

So, I'm not really one of you - as my handle indicates - but I do have two Invictas and a Lucien Piccard, and love them. I realize those are not high-end. So I like watches, but lack both the funds and the inclination to collect more. I am interested in one more watch, though, of the following description: no complications other than a second hand if that counts as one (no day or date because I can't see them anyway and they just require resetting or it drives me nuts); preferably stainless steel bracelet and case in silver tone; accurate and well-made quartz movement; less than a centi-buck street price. As a big guy, I don't want the case too small. Readability is high on the list, too. Obviously, I guess, I don't want a digital. So... boring I know, but as an audio enthusiast I'm not a bad guy to ask about cheap speakers and figure you are the guys who can make informed recs even though the excitement level is essentially zero.

Re: Need a Boring Watch Recommendation.

Here's a great watch by Casio that ticks all of your boxes except lack of date. These can be obtained for less than 50USD so being as I'm assuming you wouldn't like to spend much, this is a great watch for the money.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=6366054

Fossil

Fossil

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the look - and steel bracelet - of the Casio better, but the readability of the Fossil is very good. Darned dates; is it impossible to build a watch without them? As an RN, I often need to see the second hand in rather dim light.
    Last edited by notawatchguy; October 24th, 2013 at 08:28.

The less than $100/no-date thing is tough. I'd start by looking at Timex. These model T2N63Xs are going for less than $35 on Amazon:

Name:  Timex-WeekenderClassic-1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  213.3 KB

The back-lit Indiglo dial could come in handy in the dim light:

Name:  large_2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  17.1 KB

A step up would be Bulova. They've got a few no-date/bracelet models, but less than $150 might be tough:

Name:  96A115.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by ljb187; October 24th, 2013 at 09:14.
    Fi33pop likes this.

Seiko SGEE91 $89 shipped (if you have Prime) on Amazon:

Name:  51c30f09ba35f.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  49.1 KB

Seiko Men's SGEE91 Classic Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by notawatchguy View Post
    I like the look - and steel bracelet - of the Casio better, but the readability of the Fossil is very good. Darned dates; is it impossible to build a watch without them? As an RN, I often need to see the second hand in rather dim light.
    What's your budget? I think the new Marathon TSARs have tritium on the seconds hand (but they have a date), which means that you don't have to worry about the lume getting light to be charged.

On the cheaper tritium scale, you have Tawatec:
    TAWATEC E.O.Diver TWT.43.B1.11B: Watches: Amazon.com

I had one of their models and it was pretty good quality. Sold it because I didn't need another rough-use quartz. At the time I had a Marathon JSAR as well, seemed redundant.

Traser is also a possibility:
    Traser P6508.400.37.01 Watch is equipped with a polyamide bezel, a red blue illuminated second hand, and striking blue illumination on dial markers and hour and minute hands. Features a Swiss Ronda 715 quartz movement and a carbon fiber case.

as well as Luminox. Problem is that most of them don't come on a metal bracelet. The Marathon has an available bracelet, but it's something like an extra $100.

I feel you on the date thing. I don't care to have it either, but it seems like that's what the people want, so most watches have them.

I'd also look at the Obris Morgan Explorer. Not tritium, but it has pretty good lume and is very affordable, and comes on a bracelet. It's kind of an insane value that leaves me questioning why I don't have one.

The Offical Website of Obris Morgan Timepieces

EDIT: Just saw that you wanted to spend less than $100. Ignore all of the above.
    Last edited by Raza; October 24th, 2013 at 17:49.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Thank you, gentlemen, for responding to my ho-hum thread. The Timex seemed perfect but I was unable to find the model on Amazon - or anywhere else for that matter - despite quite extensive searching; perhaps they've sold out. I did really like the readability of that Fossil, but I found that Casio has models without the date complication and at least one in a steel bracelet. And LOL, Raza, enjoyed reading your post.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................now, if I could just figure out why my return button won't let me start a new paragraph in this forum?????
    Last edited by notawatchguy; October 25th, 2013 at 08:19.

Quote Originally Posted by notawatchguy View Post
    .now, if I could just figure out why my return button won't let me start a new paragraph in this forum?????
    No

problems

here

Btw, have a look at Momentum watches. They have a large range at quite reasonable prices.

Return function: If you're using a later version of IE try loading this site in Compatibility Mode. That ought to fix that issue.

Timex: The actual model numbers at T2N634 and T2N635...I was just using the X as a variable. Here's the link.

Thread Information