Need help on buying my first watch - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help on buying my first watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Need help on buying my first watch

With all the talk of Seiko's I am surprised the SKX007 has not come up. It fits your budget, legendary performance, durability, craftsmanship, and looked at very highly on this forum for its price range. Picture used from user: Isthmus on the forum
    Attachment 981789

Post on WUS asking about a first watch and you're bound to hear a lot about Seiko and Orient... and for a very good reason; they both offer a pretty big selection of high-quality watches for low prices. My first real watch was an Orange Monster that I bought a few years back, it's fared very well and is actually strapped to my wrist right now :)

Of course, there are several other options for under 250 other than Seiko and Orient... Hamilton has a couple offerings in that price range, Citizen has quartz solar-powered watches for 2-500 bucks, etc. but I think your best bet for something that's pretty eye-catching and still mechanically sound is a Seiko 5 series, I've got the mini monster and it's a beautiful thing.

Here are a few Seikos I think are worth mentioning: (pictures shamelessly stolen from Amazon)

Attachment 982087 this is the Seiko Mini Monster previously mentioned, about 150 USD

Attachment 982089seiko Stargate, 250 USD, next on my buy list

Attachment 982093 Seiko SNKK27, 50 USD, a watch from their 5 Series with a cool watch face (also on my buy list)

Attachment 982097Orient Esteem open heart, 140 USD. Dark and classy, less sports-inspired. Little bigger than the average dress watch.

Okay, you get the idea, if you want more ideas just go on amazon and search for "Seiko 5", "Seiko Dive", "Orient watch"... there's a lot out there, find one you like :) or get a nixon, it's your money so get what you like :)

The best bang for your buck is this: Citizen Men's BL5250-02L Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Chrono, perpetual calendar, alarm, 200m water resistant, and solar-charged. This will give you an opportunity to try out different functions, come to the conclusion what you want in a watch and what you don't care about, and not have the battery die on you in two years (if you take care to regularly have it see the light of day).
    Last edited by keybers; February 22nd, 2013 at 13:35.
    Will3020 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    A note: pay attention to the size of the watch, usually measured in millimeters ...
    Photos can throw you a curve ball. For average sized wrists some of us find the sweet spot is between 38mm - 42mm.

Beware of the integrated bracelet, unless you are sure you will never want to change to a leather or mesh strap (not impossible but very difficult to accomplish).

Attachment 982460

Like this (photo posted by WUS member Oilers Fan, thanks)

If you are like most of us you’ll get geeked about a watch you see every other day.
    $250.00 can buy a lot of watch if you shop carefully; more if you choose “gently used” check WUS sales corner.
    Last edited by tss88; February 22nd, 2013 at 18:46.

Hey Luis, first off welcome and I see your reading WUS has served you well my friend. For your price range, you can never go wrong with a time piece from Seiko, Citizen or Orient. These are well respected watch companies that produce quality time pieces for affordable prices.
    Last edited by Will3020; February 22nd, 2013 at 18:53.
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

THE: United States of America, Juhryzee shauw

Listen to the sage advice of the previous posts and then scan the for sale threads, there are some solid deals there. BTW: Welcome & good luck in the hunt!

You may wanna take a look at Seiko sportura series....really nice looking watches at your prire range

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information