Need help on buying my first watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help on buying my first watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi, this is my first post of this website. I don't know anything about watches, so I came here to get some help from the experts.

Well I'm looking for my first watch purchase. I have a budget of $250. I know it's not a lot, but hey, I'm only 17.. I don't need a Breitling or Rolex right now. Like I said, this is my first watch. I've been looking on Nordstrom.com at their watches(I know, horrible place to look for a good watch) and I've seen some nice watches for $250 or less from these brands: Michael Kors, Nixon, and Fossil. I did some research and a lot people say these are horrible brands with bad quality watches that are only good for looks and fashion.. All I want to know is what are brands that are good for my budget and are actually good quality watches?

Here's some links of the ones I like.

Nixon 'Sentry' Bracelet Watch | Nordstrom

Nixon 'The Corporal' Bracelet Watch | Nordstrom

Not the best huh? I don't know what other sites that are worth looking at cause there's so many lol. If those two watches are horrible choices, please send me links to watches that are great quality and in my $250 budget. Give me good brand names to check out. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Taking into account your budget and your age, I'd have to recommend the WUS cliche Seiko Orange or Black Monster. They can be found under your budget with a bit of searching and do look unique. Taking into account that you are 17, any watch you get will get knocked around and beat up a fair bit if you plan on wearing it all the time, it simply comes with the territory and the OM is a tank and will hold up to anything you throw at it.
    s.erickson87 likes this.
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

Inactive

Re: Need help on buying my first watch

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchettayyz View Post
    Taking into account your budget and your age, I'd have to recommend the WUS cliche Seiko Orange or Black Monster. They can be found under your budget with a bit of searching and do look unique. Taking into account that you are 17, any watch you get will get knocked around and beat up a fair bit if you plan on wearing it all the time, it simply comes with the territory and the OM is a tank and will hold up to anything you throw at it.
    Very good suggestion, +1. I'll also throw this one out there:
    Attachment 978654
    Fossil ME3022.

Heck, I might buy it just cause I think it's nifty...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't recommend a mechanical watch for your first. Get a G-Shock is what comes to my mind first.

That said, my advice, and the advice from everyone else here is worth exactly what you are paying for it. Get whatever you like best.
    Influence is like the wind...

I'd recommend Orient or Seiko

And Creation Watches as a store / database (For future ref, if you decide to buy there they ship from Singapour and usually the watch comes in a generic box, not original box) but great prices IMO bought my Orient there.

Orient Automatic EM7J001B Mens Watch

Orient Automatic ER27001B Mens Watch

I'd recommend these brands, a Nixon and Kors is all fashion. Nixon you really pay for the brand not the watch

Seiko or Orient, and if you want quartz, look at Casio and Citizen, too. And also Seiko for quartz.
    npulaski likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    Seiko or Orient, and if you want quartz, look at Casio and Citizen, too. And also Seiko for quartz.
    My thoughts exactly.

If you don't care about mechanical vs. quartz and want a watch that you never have to worry about and is ready to go at any time, check out Citizen Eco-Drives. If you're more interested in a mechanical, there's lots of good options from Seiko and Orient in that price range.
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 | Nomos Orion Ref. 309 | Helson Shark Diver 40 v2 (white)
    Seiko MM300 SBDX001 | Seiko Alpinist SARB017 | Seiko 5 SNK803 | Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 | Citizen 8110 Bullhead

I recommend a mechanical watch with a clear case-back as a fun first watch. Instead of just a boring quartz watch driven by a battery, you get a cool wind-up watch where you can look through the clear back and see all the neat little gears and springs that make the watch work.

If you just Google "Seiko 5," you'll see a TON of different watch designs (from slick to sporty), many of which are casually available on Amazon.com, and which generally run under $100 for really nice-looking (and well-made) watches.

The Seiko "Orange Monster" and "Black Monster" that RedBarchettayyz mentions above are this kind of watch (but without the clear case-back, unfortunately, since it hurts the water-resistance a little), and are very popular "starter" watches here. But, if you want a different style than that, "Seiko 5" on Google image search will give you more options than you know what to do with. There's guaranteed to be something you like.

A note: pay attention to the size of the watch, usually measured in millimeters across the watch face. If you're a big guy, aim for 40mm and over. If you're average you can probably wear anything, and if you're slender probably stay away from 43mm+. When you're buying online, it's very easy to accidentally end up with a great watch that is enormous or tiny on your wrist.

Clear casebacks and open hearts are my favorite !

I love flipping my Poljot 3133 or my Unitas 6497 and watching the mouvement work, Automatics have the rotor that kind of spoil the scenery a bit IMO.

I think OP wants all black dial and case, Citizen have quite the range of all black :

Citizen Eco Drive Stilleto Super Thin AR3015-61E AR3015 Men's Watch this one looks alot like the 1st Nixon

Citizen Eco Drive Nylon Strap BM8475-00F this one is much cheaper but Nylon strap

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarchettayyz View Post
    This exactly. The new generation Seiko Monster has hacking and winding as well, it would be what I would recommend.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information