need help changing out bracelet/bands

Thread: need help changing out bracelet/bands

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

need help changing out bracelet/bands

just got a marathon tsar. i took it to the shop to get the bracelet put on and adjusted. the guy didn't do a very good job of explaining how to change out the bracelet with a zulu when i want to. could anyone here explain it to me or point me to any youtube videos or something? thanks

Re: need help changing out bracelet/bands

Here's a little tutorial...

WS 21 How to use a Spring Bar Fork tool
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

The guy at the shop said something about the spring loaded bar and compressing it from the side of the lug. On this watch, there is no space to fit the flat end of the spring bar tool between the lug and the bracelet.

Would a small paperclip straightened out work to compress the spring bar?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not endorsing using that method, but I don't see why it wouldn't work since the TSAR has drilled lugs.

You should really get a spring bar tool if you are planning on changing your own bracelets/straps.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

EHV

The Bergeon 6767 is something you need to invest in. Bergeon 6767 F Springbar Tool made in Switzerland

It will last you a lifetime and serve you for any strap or bracelet changes you make. It has a small, standard size "pusher" end that will fit inside drilled lugs to release the strap or bracelet and it will also let you do micro adjustments on the clasp of a bracelet.
    Otherwise, it has a small forked end on the other side of the pusher mentioned and a larger fork on the other side. The linked one above includes extra pieces in case something happens to the originals which can be a frequent occurrence if one is tough on them.

You can configure a Rube Goldberg machine from a paper clip or a push pin to do these tasks but you run the risk of scratching or ruining something and that's certainly not worth saving the 25 bucks for the decent tool.
    Here is a good video for strap changes. * How to Change a Watch Band | Changing Leather Watch Bands
    This video is for a watch with non-drilled lugs. Yours with the drilled lugs is easier to remove but the replacement portion is the same for any strap or a bracelet.

With a one piece Zulu/Nato it's obviously even easier to change out bands once the spring bars are back on the watch.

Dude:

The last poster hinted at it. Just use a paper clip. It's not rocket science the paper clip fits perfectly and gets the job done as well as any spring bar tool. You'll see the drilled lugs on the side of the case, just stick the end of a paper clip in the hole add a little pressure from your finger, stick the paper clip in the other end and viola, open sesame. I use it on my TSAR all the time.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

MJK

Quote Originally Posted by MJK737 View Post
    Dude:

The last poster hinted at it. Just use a paper clip. It's not rocket science the paper clip fits perfectly and gets the job done as well as any spring bar tool. You'll see the drilled lugs on the side of the case, just stick the end of a paper clip in the hole add a little pressure from your finger, stick the paper clip in the other end and viola, open sesame. I use it on my TSAR all the time.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

MJK
    Maybe I'm too noob. I did exactly that but it was awkward trying to put pressure on the bracelet to get it out. I had my gf pull On the bracelet while I compressed the spring bars. Wasn't working and I didn't want to break anything so I gave up and came here.

EHV

Noob is fine. We've all been there. I don't think it was your use of the paper clip just that it's OK to apply a little pressure and usually needed to get the bracelet off. With a bracelet, you've got end pieces to deal with too and they have a closer tolerance to the case than a strap so it seems more difficult to pry the bracelet off after you get the bar out. No worries. Just no excessive force, a little pull and it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Maybe I'm too noob. I did exactly that but it was awkward trying to put pressure on the bracelet to get it out. I had my gf pull On the bracelet while I compressed the spring bars. Wasn't working and I didn't want to break anything so I gave up and came here.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    Since you have a helper, try to press both ends at the same time while someone is gently tugging on the bracelet.

Since the ends are a bit tighter on bracelets, it may be the issue. (no wiggle room)

if paperclips can scratch the sides, have you tried using tooth picks? (one of those plastic ones but I don't see why wooden ones would not work, it doesn't take THAT much of force to press in the spring bars).
    Chronic flipper...

I'm another voter for getting a proper springbar tool. My tool doesn't have a pusher end, just a forked end, so when I changed the strap on my Seiko with drilled lugs, I used the wick of a candle that I'd cut and a knife (to apply pressure). Silly, I know, but it worked perfectly. I wouldn't do it that way again.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information