Need Help Choosing
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chronotimer
  • 1 Post By soyrad

Thread: Need Help Choosing

Need Help Choosing

Hi all, I'm a new member and this is my first post, but I needed advice from the much more knowledgeable. I am a 17 year old, senior in high school, and I work as a teller at a bank where I dress in a shirt and tie everyday and also dress quite classy and professionally even on my own time or at school. I currently do not own any form of wristwear but seeing that I have to dress professionally at my part-time job (full time in the summer) and am often in situations or settings where pulling out my phone to check would be frowned upon, I am thinking that I could use a watch. However, I have the budget that one would expect of a typical high school student. I am looking to keep any expenses under $200 which removes a great deal of options. I have somewhat narrowed down my choices, but could always use more suggestions. I would like something classy and stylish, while not being gaudy but also not being something a 70 year old would wear (no offense, I would just like a bit younger-person looking watch). Also, while I am looking for a quality timepiece, the goal is also style as well. One choice for me was the Hugo Boss (I know, some members are cringing) Black 1513025 which is about $189 on amazonName:  61ugOTthBBL._UY500_.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  31.9 KBor the Emporio Armani Men's AR2434 Chronograph Stainless Steel Watch Name:  99933242_v_1423880987.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  249.9 KB(about $170) However, I was also considering getting 2 or 3 cheaper watches so I'd have variety. I was possibly considering the: Invicta 8928OB:Name:  81ZS6TTQx4L._UL1500_.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  196.8 KB(about $80 on amazon), the Kenneth Cole KC8058 Name:  2905789-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  21.7 KB (my dad has one he says he'll sell me for $60) and then one more watch of anyone's suggestion that will hopefully fill in a missing gap or compliment the other two.

So essentially: I need a watch and I'm not sure whether to get one that's slightly more expensive (even though they're actually cheap I guess) or getting two or three cheaper watches while still maintaining quality, and if so what they should be. Thanks for the help :)

Re: Need Help Choosing

Look at the citizen line eco drive . Alot to choose from and really great buys on amazon. Or seiko 5 auto.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.

If it were me, I'd rather have one good quality watch opposed to 3 (let's say less than good quality) watches. Just pick one that is versatile enough to wear to work but also will fit for school or going out on a date etc. Most of the brands you showed dont get too kuch respect around here but as always, its your money and your watch. Have you checked out Citizen or Seiko? Great products for not that much money.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chrono beat me to it.

+1 for a Seiko 5 auto. Plenty to choose from under 2 bills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like the look and style of the Invicta and want something a little higher quality and less blingy, look up Orient watches on Amazon. There's a lot in the sub $200 range in different colors, most with automatic movements (good bang, for your hard earned buck). To answer your other question, I recommend buying one decent, solid watch over multiple crappy ones.
    rfortson likes this.

If your Dad is offering to sell you, his only begotten son, a used Kenneth Cole watch of any kind for $60, he needs to do prison time for child abuse.

That is, simply put, absurd because used Kenneth Cole watches have ZERO value.

I suspect he would also threaten to break your thumbs if you didn't pay him on time!

A real Father-of-the-Year!

Hey, kid, do yourself a favor and politely reject Dad's offer, then go look at the offerings from Orient Watch Company. They are great watches for the money and are usually offered with an attractive discount.

Automatic Watches | Orient Watch USA

Oh …. and throw that darn cell phone in the trash. Any man who uses a cell phone as a time-keeping device wears Barbie underwear.

Seriously.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Last edited by OkeefenokeeJoe; July 24th, 2015 at 06:48.

Definitely check out the Seiko & Citizen brands! At your price point, I would stay away from Chronographs with sub-dials, or gold-tone. Lastly, don't forget about an Atomic G-Shock.

This Orient Mako USA is $225USD, but they do sell cheaper watches:
    Name:  mako.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  45.2 KB
    Otherwise anything from Seiko or Citizen.

Thread Information