Need help choosing between planet ocean and smp!
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Need help choosing between planet ocean and smp!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Need help choosing between planet ocean and smp!

Hey eveyrbody! This is my very first forum so bare with me! Im just about to turn 19 and decided i wanna add something really special to my watch collection. But I cannot decide between the Omega Seamaster Professional 300M with the modified ETA movement (Omegas version is the 1120) or the Omege Planet Ocean. Ive read other threads comparing them but really I just wanna be able to definatively decide. Theyre both so gorgeous and definatly both modern classics. Anyways any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Eric
    CitizenM likes this.

Re: Need help choosing between planet ocean and smp!

Quote Originally Posted by sk0eric View Post
    Hey eveyrbody! This is my very first forum so bare with me! Im just about to turn 19 and decided i wanna add something really special to my watch collection. But I cannot decide between the Omega Seamaster Professional 300M with the modified ETA movement (Omegas version is the 1120) or the Omege Planet Ocean. Ive read other threads comparing them but really I just wanna be able to definatively decide. Theyre both so gorgeous and definatly both modern classics. Anyways any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Eric
    This one's easy. The PO looks much better and has a superior movement (the brand new ones that is). If you can afford it, PO all the way.

It is true that it has a newer movement and it is more expensive but the Professional has a different look. the professional can be used as a more dressy watch as well as an everyday watch. while the PO in my opinion has a more tool diver style to it. Plus is the P0 worth the extra 1000-1500 dollars?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    This one's easy. The PO looks much better and has a superior movement (the brand new ones that is). If you can afford it, PO all the way.
    Agreed, especially in the looks department.

I did this same thought experiment a while ago .. I was comparing the new Omega POs with the improved movement, the 2254.50 / 2255.80 models with the distinctive wedge hour markers, and the SMP bonds with the circle markers.

I found I liked the look of the PO and the 2254 models the best. In the end, I went with the Electric Blue 2255.80 and haven't looked back. To me, the upgraded movement isn't worth the extra 1500 and the PO doesn't look better to me (this is all personal). The 1120 has been within under +-1 s per day since I've had it for a few weeks and I cannot complain at all.

They are all great watches though so I don't think you can make a bad decision. At 19, you think you'd be able to use the extra $1500 somewhere else though haha.
    Watch Collection:
    Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic (Calibre 16 CV 2010-2)
    Omega Seamaster Professional Automatic 'Electric Blue'
    Omega Automatic 2 Tone Dial (Circa 1960)
    Laco Flieger B-Dial 42mm (ETA 2824-2)
    Poljot Strela Chronograph 3133
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Marina Militaire Homage

Quote Originally Posted by jetlau3 View Post
    I did this same thought experiment a while ago .. I was comparing the new Omega POs with the improved movement, the 2254.50 / 2255.80 models with the distinctive wedge hour markers, and the SMP bonds with the circle markers.

I found I liked the look of the PO and the 2254 models the best. In the end, I went with the Electric Blue 2255.80 and haven't looked back. To me, the upgraded movement isn't worth the extra 1500 and the PO doesn't look better to me (this is all personal). The 1120 has been within under +-1 s per day since I've had it for a few weeks and I cannot complain at all.

They are all great watches though so I don't think you can make a bad decision. At 19, you think you'd be able to use the extra $1500 somewhere else though haha.
    I totally agree. I really like the 2531.80 model. Plus even though the coaxial movment has improved durability. i think the modifed ETA movement in the smp's are par to none. Plus the coaxial only has 7 BPS which is one more than my SKX007 seiko im wearing right now. i prefer the smoothness of the 8 BPS from the 1120. Although as im sure EVERYBODY here can agree they are all gorgeous and fantastic watches.

And ya @ 19 i definatly could use that extra 1500 dollars hahahahha

Both are fantastic watches. I'm not impressed by the "dressy" argument for the SMP. Both are plenty good looking for any occasion. I have the blue SMP and the black and white PO. The main point of difference for me is the size. The XL PO is a much larger watch with a lot more presence. Pick the look you like and the price you can afford. You won't regret either one.

I would also suggest that you add the SMP quartz to your consideration. It is bombproof, dead accurate, and has the same great looks as its automatic cousin. My SMPQ is my all-time favorite watch, a status it has earned over a couple of decades of hard use.

Paul

Paul

- -WUS Chinese Forum Design Project Gone but not forgotten: Anonimo Sailor Diver Tissot T-Touch - - Omega X-33 - - Bathys 100 Fathom
    Science Experiment: Pulsar Quartz Alarm (convinced me I will never have a career as a watchmaker)

Quote Originally Posted by paulie485 View Post
    Both are fantastic watches. I'm not impressed by the "dressy" argument for the SMP. Both are plenty good looking for any occasion. I have the blue SMP and the black and white PO. The main point of difference for me is the size. The XL PO is a much larger watch with a lot more presence. Pick the look you like and the price you can afford. You won't regret either one.

I would also suggest that you add the SMP quartz to your consideration. It is bombproof, dead accurate, and has the same great looks as its automatic cousin. My SMPQ is my all-time favorite watch, a status it has earned over a couple of decades of hard use.

Paul
    I will definatly consider the quartz as well. When i said it was more "dressy" i didnt mean for it to sound like the Planet Ocean wasnt. Theyre both diverse and capable watches for any setting. I was mainly reffering to the dimensions of the smp over the Planet ocean. The PO is larger and even the 42mm version is much thicker. which some people definatly prefer. As i also said prior, both watches are gorgeous and fantastic and i will probably end up having them both at some point haha.

I like the old SMP sword hand style better than the newer skeleton hands, I think it looks way cooler.
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

I used to own the 2255.80 and that was my first real watch and made me glow with excitement every time I wore it. Now I have the PO and they are two different watches. The PO feels more sporty and definitely has more wrist presence but is still really comfortable. I would love to own a 2255.80 or 2254.50 again someday but am having a hard time justifying the cost with how much the prices have risen on them in the past year.

That being said, I won't even contemplate trading or selling my PO for an SMP 300M, but I wouldn't mind adding one someday. I think it would help if you got to try them on in person somewhere and then I'm sure you'll know which is the one for you.
    sk0eric likes this.
    Current Arsenal:
    HMT Pilot | Casio G-Shock Riseman | Seiko SNZH57 | Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph | Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
    Purchase free since: 4/1/15 (subject to change)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information