Need help choosing a pilot watch from DR Custom Watch

Thread: Need help choosing a pilot watch from DR Custom Watch

Need help choosing a pilot watch from DR Custom Watch

Before I start with the choices, has anyone had any experience with DR custom watch or have read anything on their reputation? Any feedback you can give me would be helpful.

46mm B-Uhr Flieger Pilot Watch - Automatic Movement - Type-A Dial - DR Custom Watch Online Store - (Powered by CubeCart)

46mm Hand Made - B-Uhr Flieger Pilot - Type B Navigator Dial - 6498 - DR Custom Watch Online Store - (Powered by CubeCart)

46mm Hand Made - B-Uhr Flieger Pilot Watch - Type B Navigator Dial - 6497 - DR Custom Watch Online Store - (Powered by CubeCart)

and I would like to know how reliable are these SeaGull movements?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mr.V1984; February 14th, 2013 at 22:49.
    Omega Constellation 38mm Co-Axial Chronometer
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 -300 meters Automatic
    Citizen Signature Moon Phase Flyback Chrono
    Tonino Lamborghini 1949 Limited Edition Automatic
    Invicta Pro Diver
    Vintage Manual Wind Longines
    Vintage Manual Wind Philip Watch
    Seiko 5 Automatic 7s26
    Seiko Kinetic 100M
    Casio G-Shock GLX 5600
    Manual Wind Poljot
    Manual Wind Sekonda with alarm function

Re: Need help choosing a pilot watch from DR Custom Watch

Quote Originally Posted by unsub073 View Post
    Vary helpful. Thanks
    Invicta Pro Diver
    Seiko 5 Automatic 7s26
    Seiko Kinetic 100M
    Casio G-Shock GLX 5600
    Manual Wind Poljot

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Since your question was about which one to choose, I think I'd vote for the A-type dial (with the hours).

This is just personal preference, but on B-type dials (with the minute numerals on the dial and the hours on an inner dial) I really feel like the hour hand should come to rest right on the hours circle, on the inner dial.
    See: (image from Stowa.de)
    \
    Compare:
    Attachment 972859

The hands, I think, are really made for an 'a' type dial, but DR has used them for the b-type too.
    I also don't like that "60" is at the top of the dial. I'm not familiar with any other watchmaker who has both a triangle _and_ the numeral at the top. It looks too crowded for me.

Because of those two style problems, I would just go with the Type A dial, which has a very interesting, bold styling. The link you sent was an auto movement-- I think I'd choose the handwind, because it's slightly more historical and has a cooler back. But the tradeoff is the slightly more cluttered dial with the small seconds subdial:
    46mm Hand Made - B-Uhr Flieger Pilot Watch - Type A Traditional Dial - 6498 - DR Custom Watch Online Store - (Powered by CubeCart)
    Last edited by Perdendosi; February 15th, 2013 at 01:45.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    Since your question was about which one to choose, I think I'd vote for the A-type dial (with the hours).

This is just personal preference, but on B-type dials (with the minute numerals on the dial and the hours on an inner dial) I really feel like the hour hand should come to rest right on the hours circle, on the inner dial.
    See: (image from Stowa.de)
    \
    Compare:
    Attachment 972859

The hands, I think, are really made for an 'a' type dial, but DR has used them for the b-type too.
    I also don't like that "60" is at the top of the dial. I'm not familiar with any other watchmaker who has both a triangle _and_ the numeral at the top. It looks too crowded for me.

Because of those two style problems, I would just go with the Type A dial, which has a very interesting, bold styling. The link you sent was an auto movement-- I think I'd choose the handwind, because it's slightly more historical and has a cooler back. But the tradeoff is the slightly more cluttered dial with the small seconds subdial:
    46mm Hand Made - B-Uhr Flieger Pilot Watch - Type A Traditional Dial - 6498 - DR Custom Watch Online Store - (Powered by CubeCart)
    Thanks! I went with traditional one you suggested but with the sub seconds at 9 o'clock.
    Last edited by Mr.V1984; February 15th, 2013 at 03:11.
    Invicta Pro Diver
    Seiko 5 Automatic 7s26
    Seiko Kinetic 100M
    Casio G-Shock GLX 5600
    Manual Wind Poljot