Need help deciding on my biggest purchase to date - Breitling, JS Watch Co or Ball?

Thread: Need help deciding on my biggest purchase to date - Breitling, JS Watch Co or Ball?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need help deciding on my biggest purchase to date - Breitling, JS Watch Co or Ball?

Over the last year and a bit I've built up a collection of affordable watches, including one more expensive piece, the Sinn 656. Recently I've developed a nagging ache that my collection isn't really doing it for me anymore, I have quite a lot of watches I like but most of them don't get worn often. I've decided therefore to sell off roughly half of what I have and invest the funds (along with some savings) in one nicer piece.
    I estimate that I'll end up with around £1200 to spend and will probably look to me the purchase early next year.
    So far I've narrowed it down to 3 watches, all costing around £1200 and I'm keen for any input on the watches I've short listed or suggestions of other options in my price range. The only real criteria for other options is that they need to be suitable for my 6.5" wrist. So 42mm maximum and lug to lug length under 50mm.

So, without further ado, my short list is:

JS Watch Co 101

Pros:
    Classic good looks
    Small, independent watch maker
    Personalisation (name engraved on motor)
    Just the right size
    I need a nice dress watch

Cons:
    May be not that versatile and do I want my most expensive watch to be one that doesn't get worn often.

Ball Engineer Master II Diver

Pros:
    Great, distinctive look.
    Love the inner bezel
    Tritium gas tubes

Cons:
    On the large side
    Again, may not be that versatile

Breitling Colt II quartz

Pros:
    Probably the most versatile of the three
    Brand heritage appeals
    Have wanted a HEQ for a while

Cons:
    Would have to go down the pre-owned route to afford it
    Whilst a HEQ appeals will I regret spending that much in a quartz watch?

So, any thoughts on the above or other suggestions? I appreciate they're very different watches but which offers the best value for money? To be honest I hope to be able to afford all 3 at some point but want to make sure I pick the right one to start.

Thanks in advance: -)
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Banned

Re: Need help deciding on my biggest purchase to date - Breitling, JS Watch Co or Ball?

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Recently I've developed a nagging ache that my collection isn't really doing it for me anymore, I have quite a lot of watches I like but most of them don't get worn often. I've decided therefore to sell off roughly half of what I have and invest the funds (along with some savings) in one nicer piece.
    Welcome to the club! Here, you'll need your membership card:

The only real criteria for other options is that they need to be suitable for my 6.5" wrist. So 42mm maximum and lug to lug length under 50mm.
    You're certainly speaking my language.

JS Watch Co 101

I need a nice dress watch

May be not that versatile and do I want my most expensive watch to be one that doesn't get worn often.
    EVERYONE needs a proper dress watch (IMO). Why would you not want it to be your most expensive watch? My priciest watch is a dress watch, but in all honesty I can wear it to work every week. That JS isn't too dressy, yet classy so you could wear it a little more casually (with dockers/khakis).

Ball Engineer Master II Diver

On the large side
    VERY large and wears larger. It's a great watch but chunky and heavy. I have 6.75" wrists and didn't like the way it felt no matter how cool it looks.

Breitling Colt II quartz

Have wanted a HEQ for a while

Whilst a HEQ appeals will I regret spending that much in a quartz watch?
    Scratch the itch then. The only way to know for sure is to own one. If you buy preowned you won't lose your shirt if/when you sell. Judging by your +/- list, this is the one I'd try first if I were you.

Why not try a different Ball, like a Cleveland Express or Fireman? They can be found for great prices second hand and are smaller diameter & thinner than the EM II but still have tubes AND they are a tad dressier but not as fancy as the JS.

Re: Need help deciding on my biggest purchase to date - Breitling, JS Watch Co or Ball?

Thanks for such a comprehensive response and LOL at the flipper badge.
    I think the Breitling is at the top of my list for pretty much the reasons you note. Mrs wmw likes it too which always helps.
    Last edited by whatmeworry; November 30th, 2010 at 15:08.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Definitely the JS, although not sure how it would be less expensive than a used Colt? Re. the Ball, Tritium tubes are highly overrated in my experience, and they make the watch hands and numbers look like they have tumors and the Ball already looks cheap to me. Sorry Ball lovers. Re. the Breitling, I wouldn't spend that much on quartz.

So in the end, the JS is the class act of this bunch and you definitely won't see one coming down the street. By the way, I don't see it as a dress watch; it's more of a sporty watch that can be dressed up or down, another point in its favor. I'd be wearing it all the time.

Anyway, that's my feelings on it -- don't forget, you asked!

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    Definitely the JS, although not sure how it would be less expensive than a used Colt? Re. the Ball, Tritium tubes are highly overrated in my experience, and they make the watch hands and numbers look like they have tumors and the Ball already looks cheap to me. Sorry Ball lovers. Re. the Breitling, I wouldn't spend that much on quartz.

So in the end, the JS is the class act of this bunch and you definitely won't see one coming down the street. By the way, I don't see it as a dress watch; it's more of a sporty watch that can be dressed up or down, another point in its favor. I'd be wearing it all the time.

Anyway, that's my feelings on it -- don't forget, you asked!
    Thanks! Thought I'd made my mind up and now you've made me doubt my decision. You're right that a used Colt would be slightly cheaper but probably only £1-200 if I went for one.from.a reputable dealer rather than some random on eBay. A new Colt would definitely be out of my budget.

Thought I'd chip in...

I was in a similair position a few months ago. I went with the JS Watch Co 101. In fact, I am wearing it today!

I think it can be both dressy, and more sporty. Today I am wearing it with just a polo shirt and jeans, yet I also wear it with my tan colored suit. It looks great under the cuff of a button down.

When people ask about the watch you have a wonderful story to tell about how you basically had it custom made from a little shop in Iceland. The engraved rotor is icing on the cake.

I've had mine for 4 months now and could not be happier.

Some pictures of mine when I received it:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-n...ik-435146.html

v76

If you do decide on something a little dressy, how about a Rainer Brand Panama?

Like the JS, pretty exclusive from an independent company. The Colt would definitely make a good all-round watch which you could grab-n-go (pre-owned, of course).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
    Thought I'd chip in...

I was in a similair position a few months ago. I went with the JS Watch Co 101. In fact, I am wearing it today!

I think it can be both dressy, and more sporty. Today I am wearing it with just a polo shirt and jeans, yet I also wear it with my tan colored suit. It looks great under the cuff of a button down.

When people ask about the watch you have a wonderful story to tell about how you basically had it custom made from a little shop in Iceland. The engraved rotor is icing on the cake.

I've had mine for 4 months now and could not be happier.

Some pictures of mine when I received it:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-n...ik-435146.html
    Thanks. I read your thread a few weeks ago and was actually thinking about PMing you to see what your impressions of the watch were a few months down the line. Really good to hear its still giving you pleasure.
    I guess that's one thing holding me back a little on the JS - the lack of reviews, etc online. I think yours was the only one I found.

Yeah, when I ordered mine it was a bit of a leap of faith. I spent some time emailing back and forth with Sigurdur and got all of my questions answered.

I cannot think of any complaints. My watch runs great and keeps good time. I get a lot of compliments on it. I have a pretty good rotation of watches, so I wear the JS about once or twice a week.

Probably the main reason for a lack of reviews is the low production numbers. On the side of my case are engraved the numbers 376 and 1101. Sigurdur informed me that my watch was the 376th 101 model they have made and the 1101st of all watches they have made.

does this remind you of anything

i liked the looks of the js so much that i borrowed the combo to dress up my breitling colt. the dial is not white, more of a cream color and the strap is camille fournet and 100m wr and the breitling pro2 bracelet is also a sweet piece of steel; get the colt
    Last edited by novedl; November 30th, 2010 at 16:30.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information