Need help finding a sporty chronograph
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need help finding a sporty chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help finding a sporty chronograph

Hello everyone!
    i'm in love with the new Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue but it's way more watch than I can afford. I'm looking for a watch that has that style, or the style of the Hamilton Pan Europ. I also love the Steihart watch pictured below (which is closer to my price range) but have read way too many recent bad stories about their lack of quality control.

Can anyone provide with recommendations of watches that I may not be familiar with? I prefer sapphire crystal and automatic movement but obviously I might not get either due to my price range (let's say $250-$700).
    The pics below will show the styles i'm interested in. I was looking on eBay for the Citizen Bullhead but it's hard to find ones in fantastic shape that aren't overpriced for a 1970s watch.

All input is GREATLY appreciated!

Name:  Steinhart.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  68.5 KBName:  Tudor.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  76.4 KBName:  Pan Europ.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  145.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Need help finding a sporty chronograph

Finding an automatic chronograph at under $1000 is tough, even used. The Tudor Heritage chronograph is a fantastic watch, the Steinhart is the closest to it. The Steinhart is a good choice, and while I've heard a few things here and there, it seems that most people are genuinely satisfied by their experiences with them.

I personally have a Pan Europ--it's a fantastic watch, really, truly lovely, and very well made. But it is big. 45mm across; even though it's a cushion case with a short lug to lug, it is still a large watch. I'm not sure whether that is a consideration for you or not.

I'd look at a Seiko Speedtimer in blue. Get one, freshen up the crystal, get it serviced, and you'll be set. A decent one should cost about $200 or so, then with servicing, it'll be in budget.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Under $1k is tough. I think your best bet is a used Pan Europ or another Hamilton or Longines model used.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pan Europ or another Hamilton or Longines model used.
    Yup.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I posted this the other day in the bargains thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro66 View Post

Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic Chronograph H71566553

Ashford $649 Use code AFFCHRONO649

olli_tr likes this.

Getting an auto chrono for your budget will be a little difficult so consider used or quartz.

The budget is tough but the Pan Europ can be found on eBay for example at or under $1000.

It has to be an automatic? You may have to look for a chronograph with a Japanese Miyota or Chinese Seagull automatic movement to fit your price point.

Vulcain Nautique 1st Swiss/1967 * Seiko 5 SpeedTimer 1st Auto Chrono, from Tokyo Ginza/1969 * Handful of Seiko Quartz Chronos * Heuer Re-issue 1964 Pre-TAG Carrera chrono * TAG Heuer "Carrera" Chrono * Omega "Speedmaster" Chrono * Baume & Mercier Formula S Chrono * Zenith "El Primero" HW Chrono * Mühle Glashütte Nautische Chrono * Sinn 903ST “Navitimer” Chrono * Techné SparrowHawk II Chrono * Alpina Startimer Big-Date Chrono * Zodiac Sea Dragon chrono * (2) Victorinox "Infantry Vintage" Chronos (Silver/Green) * Junkers "G38" chrono * Hamilton Pioneer Khaki chrono * Bulova Marine Star Chrono/Diver * Breitling Chronospace chrono * Dan Henry 1939 chrono * Fortuna chrono * Delbana "Silverstone" chrono * Ball Fireman "Storm Chaser" chrono * William L. chrono * Junghans Meister Telemeter Chronoscope *

You will need some luck with your price range. You might look at some quartz to see what is out there, there are some nice ones.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
    It has to be an automatic? You may have to look for a chronograph with a Japanese Miyota or Chinese Seagull automatic movement to fit your price point.
    I'm not opposed to quartz at all. I know that i'll find a much better selection with quartz options, and would love to see what people recommend. I just prefer automatic but know quite well that I won't find much in my price range.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information