Need help identifying value of a vintage Elgin watch

Thread: Need help identifying value of a vintage Elgin watch

Need help identifying value of a vintage Elgin watch

Hello everyone, I am entering the buy/sale watches world but I'm still not an expert identifying the value of some watches and I need some help.

A local watch salesman is offering me a vintage Elgin watch, serial number K639462, model 683USA.

I made a google search and it looks like it was made around 1953, I checked the movement and it runs perfectly, he says the case and bracelet are made of gold.

The man wants $150 for the watch, but on Ebay it costs around $65-$200 but I have noticed that the cheap watches from ebay don't have the serial number.
    I would like to know how much this watch should cost, thanks beforehand for your help.
    The watch looks exactly like this one:

Name:  elgin1.jpg
Views: 7519
Size:  134.1 KBName:  elgin2.jpg
Views: 8766
Size:  184.8 KBName:  elgin3.jpg
Views: 3861
Size:  206.0 KBName:  elgin4.jpg
Views: 6460
Size:  203.2 KB

Here is the original link from Ebay:

VINTAGE ELGIN 17J WRISTWATCH CALIBER 683 RUNS GOOD!! | eBay
    Last edited by Mike2024; March 26th, 2012 at 01:19. Reason: ortographic error

Re: Need help identifying value of a vintage Elgin watch

We don't give valuations here but if the watch has been serviced recently it's a fair price I'd say. For that price you'd be getting gold filled or gold plated though. Doubt it would be solid gold. If the watch hasn't been serviced add another $100 for service.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information