Need help identifying Waltham watch and value

Thread: Need help identifying Waltham watch and value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help identifying Waltham watch and value

I found this listing on eBay and need some help identifying this watch. I like to buy these old watches and hold on to them in hopes that when we get out of this recession the prices will go up and it will be a good investment. The problem is I cant find this exact watch anywhere and at a starting price of $.99 I do not want this watch to pass me by if it is really worth something. Any type of feedback on this watch would be appreciated.

Watch Link

Thanks,

James

Re: Need help identifying Waltham watch and value

False hopes.

Valuations are against the rules here, sorry. Watches that hold value the best tend to be Rolexes or Pateks, if you're looking to flip.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jumpontopski View Post
    I found this listing on eBay and need some help identifying this watch. I like to buy these old watches and hold on to them in hopes that when we get out of this recession the prices will go up and it will be a good investment. The problem is I cant find this exact watch anywhere and at a starting price of $.99 I do not want this watch to pass me by if it is really worth something. Any type of feedback on this watch would be appreciated.

Watch Link

Thanks,

James
    No watch is a good investment per se, and the one you are pointing at will not increase in value over the next 10 years. If you want to buy a watch as an investment go and get a PP for 400,000 which in 5 years will be 420,000 if you got luck. There's a thread here about "watches and investment", just do a search.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a newbie here and not reading all the rules I will have to blame on the A.D.D.!

It's not an American Waltham as far as I can see and will be of limited interest to any collector.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    It's not an American Waltham as far as I can see and will be of limited interest to any collector.
    I agree with this. The "Self Winding" and "Shock Protected" markings on the dial indicate features that were not found on watches produced stateside by the American Waltham Watch Company.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Interesting, I thought all Walthams were american made hence the American Waltham naming.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpontopski View Post
    I found this listing on eBay and
    need some help identifying this watch. I like to buy these old watches and hold on to them in hopes that when we get out of this recession the prices will go up and it will be a good investment. The problem is I cant find this exact watch anywhere and at a starting price of $.99 I do not want this watch to pass me by if it is really worth something. Any type of feedback on this watch would be appreciated.

Watch Link

Thanks,

James
    That watch is a very good example of why inexpensive watches are rarely the bargain they seem to be. Look carefully around the dial edge and hands. There is what appears to be corrosion all around. The plating is worn. The watch has probably been leaking moisture for a long time and the movement probably is corroded as well. Most watch collectors me included have learned from buying watches like that one. There are better ones to be found.

If it was in really nice condition and reasonably priced it could be a way to start a cillection even if it is a swiss Waltham.
    Last edited by John MS; August 29th, 2012 at 17:56.

And Cartier and Panerai.
    Quote Originally Posted by omega1234 View Post
    Valuations are against the rules here, sorry. Watches that hold value the best tend to be Rolexes or Pateks, if you're looking to flip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information