Need help to know how to demagnetize a watch movement, please
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need help to know how to demagnetize a watch movement, please

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help to know how to demagnetize a watch movement, please

Hi everyone,

DISCLAIMER: Yes I first used the search engine but I really didn't feel like reading over 100 threads to see if I would find my answer there. And I like to do conversation with fellow WUS members so...

A few weeks ago, I was wearing my Seiko SKX007 and noticed that the watch was gaining ridiculous amount of time in a short period, like 20 minutes or more every hour or two. Now, I'm far to be certain that the movement is magnetized but the symptoms pointed me in that direction according to a few posts I read on that subject and before I send it out to a watchmaker, I wanted to know if there was an easy way to demagnetize a watch movement so I can try it and see if it works. Now, this is a watch I wear, maybe, once every month and I cannot recall getting close to any strong magnetic field with my watch on the wrist. The watch is stored in a 36 watches watch case with all of my other watches and this is the only one that started to go crazy. I have never opened that watch to regulate it since it was keeping very accurate time since day one.

With my limited knowledge, I tried to eliminate a few hypothesis. It's so fast that I'm 99% certain that this as nothing to do with regulating the movement, I could be wrong though. The watch was not knocked or dropped on the floor AFAIK (yeah I have two daughters but the usually never touch my watches) . I ask myself if a broken component in the movement could do that , but then if something was broken, the watch would probably not work at all One thing I should point out is that, it's also harder to have the movement to go. What I mean is that I feel that I have to shake it a lot more than my other Seiko for it to start and go for good. If I just do a quick shake like I usually do, the second hand starts and then stops a few steps further

Anyhow, I know you can buy a demagnetizer but I'm almost certain that I already read a post in which the guy was explaining how to do an homemade demagnetizer. Any help is welcome and feel free to give your diagnostic if you feel i'm on the wrong track.

Thanks in advance, and here is a photo of the watch even if irrelevant, I know we all like photos!

Last edited by DM71; November 25th, 2010 at 04:17.
    supervoice likes this.
    ~ Daniel ~

Re: Need help to know how to demagnetize a watch movement, please

A while back I read a good tip from either this forum or another.....It involves using an old CRT monitor (big ugly box monitor) with a degauss feature and holding it close.....if not manually, some degauss themselves when turned on. The sound goes something like "woooOMP"

I ordered a demagnetizer off of the bay and it worked fine. I magnetized a watch using an analog light meter. It had a strong magnet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Feel bad that you had to preface your post with that disclaimer. Many of us on this particular forum can sympathize.

Because this sort of thing is so infrequent, rather than buy anything, I'd have a competent local watchmaker take care of it.
    "My grail showed up today"

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    A while back I read a good tip from either this forum or another.....It involves using an old CRT monitor (big ugly box monitor) with a degauss feature and holding it close.....if not manually, some degauss themselves when turned on. The sound goes something like "woooOMP"
    Yes that's it!!! Thanks bigvatch! I remember now, and i remember that the member that had a fast watch tried it, and it worked.

Now I have to find one of these big monitors Shouldn't be that hard, thanks a lot for the info. I think some monitors have a degauss button or something?...

Nikos said: I ordered a demagnetizer off of the bay and it worked fine. I magnetized a watch using an analog light meter. It had a strong magnet.
    Thanks Nikos, I saw them too on the net. If I can't find a old monitor, I will probably see a watchsmith to see how much he would charge to demagnetize it. The demagnetizers I saw were $30 and up, so will have to consider once i know how much a professional would charge.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    Feel bad that you had to preface your post with that disclaimer. Many of us on this particular forum can sympathize.

Because this sort of thing is so infrequent, rather than buy anything, I'd have a competent local watchmaker take care of it.
    Hi mrsnak,

The disclaimer is a little sarcastic, nothing serious I know this subject as been discussed many times here, but i just couldn't find the info Actually, I must be a very bad "Searcher" whit this tool because i often come to a dead end or with 100+ pages to explore...

I agree with you. Before I spend money on any tool or anything, I will have a watchmaker to look at it. It's the first time I have such a problem with a watch and for now, I will try to use a monitor, that cost nothing, and i don't think i can do any harm, then if it works, fine, if not, it goes to the Doctor.
    ~ Daniel ~

If he charges you more than $10.00 he's ripping you off. You literally side it in and out and you're done. Total time, 2.2 seconds, I had a watchmaker do it for free. I bought one so that I can do it myself.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

kew

I may be leading you down the wrong track but I have heard that the hair spring can get "tangled" and this can lead to symptoms you are experiencing. I also understand that if that is the problem, then it is a simple fix too.
    casablancawatch likes this.
    Nathan

EHV

Quote Originally Posted by kew View Post
    I may be leading you down the wrong track but I have heard that the hair spring can get "tangled" and this can lead to symptoms you are experiencing. I also understand that if that is the problem, then it is a simple fix too.
    This is correct, specifically with this Seiko movement. The fix is basically smacking the watch in a certain way to "untangle" the hairspring. I've read about it multiple times but have never tried it. It will require a search here or on the SCWF and some good input from the Seiko experts who have tried it.

Otherwise, I'm another one that picked up a demagnetizer for $28 shipped,(anywhere in the world) from a trusted WUS and SCWF member. PM me if anyone wants a great contact for a inexpensive demagnetizer.
    casablancawatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kew View Post
    Hmmmm, that is rather interesting. Thank you for your input kew.

Don said: If he charges you more than $10.00 he's ripping you off. You literally side it in and out and you're done. Total time, 2.2 seconds, I had a watchmaker do it for free. I bought one so that I can do it myself.
    Thanks Don, since I had no idea how it's done and how long, it's good to know. If it's so simple, I guess my watchmaker will do it for free.

I will try to have it demagnetized this week end and will let you know if I was lucky.

Thanks everybody for your help, it's appreciated!
    ~ Daniel ~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information